AkhilGarg91's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Thessaloniki: A popular tourist destination

The city of Thessaloniki was founded in 315 BC by “Cassander of Macedon”. 
Thessaloniki was the second largest and wealthiest city of the Byzantine Empire. Thessaloniki is a popular tourist destination in Greece famous for street photography. 
The city is renowned for its festivals, events and vibrant cultural life in general and considered to be Greece’s cultural capital. The place is famous for its food and culture and there are plenty of things that you would love to visit and one of them is “White Tower”. While you’re near the water, head up the historic six-storey White Tower, the iconic symbol of Thessaloniki. The Tower was used by the Ottoman Turks as a fortress and a prison. In 1826, at the order of the Sultan Mahmud II, there was a massacre at the tower and in turn, it acquired the name “Tower of Blood”.  When the city was taken over by the Hellenic State, the tower was whitewashed, a symbol of cleansing, rebirth. 

FlightFlightWhite TowerWhite TowerWhite Tower with SeaWhite Tower with SeaSeaSeaStatueStatueSTatueSTatueThe Zongolopoulos UmbrellasThe Zongolopoulos UmbrellasThe Zongolopoulos UmbrellasThe Zongolopoulos Umbrellas

Akhil Garg
Insta |Twitter |Facebook
Thessaloniki, Greece
17 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Thessaloniki: A popular tourist destination

Thanks for telling us about Θεσσαλονίκη I had the fortune to very briefly visit in the late 1990s. We were here and spent time in Crete and Athens @AkhilGarg91 

My wife has relatives in Athens, Crete, Θεσσαλονίκη and Ιωάννινα.

Level 9

Hi @PaulPavlinovich ,

Nice, I have been to Athens as well 2 times and I have been to Meteora as well , I didnt spend much time in Athens though but would like to visit Santorini, Crete and other places.

Akhil Garg
Insta |Twitter |Facebook
Former Google Contributor

Hello @AkhilGarg91,

Thank you for sharing your trip to Thessaloniki via these beautiful photos. 

For me,this city has always been associated with the monument with the umbrellas. 

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 9

Hi @BorrisS ,

True, I can imagine but when I visited the city I liked it, The food and culture it was amazing.

Akhil Garg
Insta |Twitter |Facebook
Connect Moderator

I really enjoyed my time on Crete, the whole family lived together in a house there for about six weeks. Athens was a little rushed but we still saw plenty even walked up to the Acropolis on a boiling hot day @AkhilGarg91 

Level 9

Hi @PaulPavlinovich ,

Thats nice I would love to go to Crete,I can Imagine Athens during summer  but worse was when I was in Dead sea (lowest point on earth)in Israel  during summer in June it was  so hot.

Akhil Garg
Insta |Twitter |Facebook
Connect Moderator

I can imagine @AkhilGarg91 I've never been to the dead sea but I have been to the Great Salt Lake in Utah (America) which is somewhat similar. Like the Dead Sea it is so salty that you can float on top of the water. It was also very very hot.

Level 9

HI @PaulPavlinovich ,

Yes its same with dead sea, you float on top of it and its very salty and nothing is alive inside thats why its dead sea and it was part of sea before. 

Akhil Garg
Insta |Twitter |Facebook
Google Moderator

Hey @AkhilGarg91 ,

Beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing. It seems like the weather was gloomy.

I had the chance to visit Thessaloniki in September and it was still very sunny and hot. The city was crowded with people, mostly tourists.

We went there by car for a half-day trip, did some shopping and enjoyed an ice-cream at Aristotelous Square. Do you have some pictures from there as well?

Caption: A photo of Aristotelous Square (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of Aristotelous Square (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!