AradhanaB's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

The story of 9,000 edits by a Local Guide in Thailand

We just made a big update for Local Guides: 10 levels (up from 5) and different amounts of points for each contribution. We made the changes based on requests from the community to have points better reflect the skill, dedication, and impact of individual Local Guides. In honor of the announcement, we’re featuring stories of passionate contributors all week.  

Yesterday, we chatted with Nkenna Aneke from Nigeria about adding placesnow worth 15 points per place.

Today, meet @Wanna from Thailand. Wanna has made over 9,000 edits! Since editing places on Google Maps now earns 5 points per update, she’s jumped to level 9.

We spoke to Wanna about what drives her to make such an incredible impact.

What motivates you to edit places and fix information?

I’ve used Google Maps for a few years as I’m often a solo traveler to other countries. There were many places pinned to wrong locations, or the information of the places wasn’t updated. So it was hard for me to figure it out on my journey. When Google Maps announced that users in Thailand could fix information and edit places not only in Thailand, but globally, OMG! That was heaven for me!  

pasted image 0.pngMy first edit was in November 2015. I went to วัดข่อยกลาง in Lopburi Province by car. Google Maps led me away from the real location by more than 6 kilometers. This is why I think the information is very important for Google Maps users. Now I can help other people by sharing my experiences around the world, not only in my country. That's amazing and wonderful for me. ☺

How have you been able to edit 9,000 places on Maps?

It was funny to me when I started thinking of places on Google Maps like products. So I find places that seem like franchises or branches—like banks, convenience stores, cafes, etc. There are a ton of these places, and a huge amount of data about them online. Then I use Google Maps on my iPad to find any places that I want to edit or fix. I don’t think Local Guides often think to use the "search this area" feature. Why not? I really love it. It helps me a lot whenever I wanna find places to edit and fix information.

Any other tips?

Many Local Guides I know have doubts about editing and adding places, period. In some cases, I’ve waited over 6 months for something to publish. I don't worry about it. I’m just happy with myself. Enjoy the we're helping people around the world. This is a big mission, isn't it?

Have you used the Missions feature to find nearby places that are missing information? Tell us in the comments below and stay tuned to read another installment of Local Guides Stories tomorrow.

Note: Interview has been edited for clarity.

52 comments
Level 10

Re: The story of 9,000 edits by a Local Guide in Thailand

@AradhanaB Thanks for sharing to us this inspiring story. @Wanna Congratulations, your story is inspiring and a motivational factor for all of us. 

Level 8

This inspiring story reaffirmed my feeling about participating in the LGs program.

Find something we love doing and keep doing it.

While doing it, the community will benefit and one days, our efforts will got recognized.

Level 10

@AradhanaB

@YK1001

@HelloSamsonR

It's really inspirational for all of us

Thanx for sharing it here on this platform

Keep guiding

Level 9

Thanks for sharing @AradhanaB. These kind of storing pump us up to do more from our side. Kudos @Wanna

flagnepal acetreks.gif  - Nepal | YouTube
Level 10

Such an inspirational journey @Wanna 9000 edits not an easy task.

Thanks @AradhanaB to share with us a wonderful story. 

Level 9

Thanks @AradhanaB and @HelloJess for my story, it's awesome! Hope this will inspired other LGs.

Thailand Local Guides || Life is a journey || My Contributions

Level 8

Hii @AradhanaB

Thanks for sharing the inspired story of @Wanna

@Wanna you are great my fellow Local Guide.

Level 9

What @Wanna 9000 editing ,and have fun with us on the Connect , we need time management course from you  ,all Respect

For our princess 🤴 , Wanna 🙂

We know Wanna before , but we don't know this inspiring stroy about her  @AradhanaB  , Huge Thanks 

Googler

Thank you for sharing your story and accomplishments, @Wanna!

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.