AntonellaGr's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

The storm has gone: Piave river

The storm has gone: Piave river, where we returned to see if actually “The storm has gone” (1). You will certainly remember the devastating flood in November 2018 and the death of millions of trees in the mountains in Northern Italy

Along Piave river 4 months after the floodAlong Piave river 4 months after the flood

In the immediate following weeks, groups of volunteers cleaned the coast of Jesolo as results of the fury of the storm reached the seaside. A group was also guided by @ermest After a few months we went along the Piave to check the situation. To be precise between San Biagio di Callalta and Ponte di Piave in the province of Treviso.

Ponte Piave water was just a few me  tres below the bridgePonte Piave water was just a few me tres below the bridge

Apart from some minor parts, the place is clean. The fury of water can still be noticed by some details such as the piled grass and unusual objects that remain “perched” on the branches. There are some plastic objects but they are really a small part.

Plastic perched on branchesPlastic perched on branchesPlastic along the riverPlastic along the river

For the rest the landscape has a lunar aspect and in some ways looks like a labyrinth. It seems indeed that “the storm has gone” and Piave river is quiet again

20190217_171509.jpg

Light plays strange games, just as weird objects we found in twilight. They almost seem to have become part of the natural landscape. Let’s put it in this way, Nature will always prevail on the human being …

20190217_165715.jpg

(1) Giacomo Leopardi “La quiete dopo la tempesta” "The calm after the storm

Giacomo Leopardi was an Italian poet. In his poetry and prose it is very interesting the dual aspect of Nature: Nature as a Mother or a Step Mother

The post has been already published in my association blog

San Biagio di Callalta, TV, Italia
7 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: The storm has gone: Piave river

Hi @AntonellaGr , 

Thank you for these beautiful pictures and this iconic posts. Piave for us has historical importance, especially after the Battle of Piave. For those who don't know it seems difficult to associate your images with a battle. 

I still remember that when our teacher at school was getting angry she started to sing "The Legend of Piave". 

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Es un hermoso post @AntonellaGr , un canto de esperanza porque mejore las condiciones del lugar, lindas fotos, gracias por comparto 

Farid

Level 8

Ciao @Sorbe 

yes, you are right!  it is so obvious for us the role of the river in FWW (100 years ago) that I keep forgetting writing about it! There is something here Ebbrezza Wine Meet up Recap 

and in one of the picture (the one with the bridge) there is the Italian Flag and the shape of Alpini Corp hat.

Maybe  you know this song "La Canzone del Piave

"l Piave mormorava calmo e placido al passaggio
dei primi fanti il ventiquattro maggio;
l'esercito marciava per raggiunger la frontiera
per far contro il nemico una barriera..." 

Ciao

Antonella

Level 8

Grazie a te @FaridTDF 

Mi fa piacere che si sia capita (e vista) la speranza

Antonella

Level 10

Hi @AntonellaGr ! 

I'm glad they did the proper cleaning! We hope it rains waiting for spring ... a beautiful green and many flowers would be just fine!

Bye,

David

Level 8

Ciao @davidhyno 

We are waiting for the rain too.Oddly enough it hasn't rained for a long time after the storm. And if it doesn' t rain I can't find "carletti" "bruscandoli" ecc. ecc.I don't even know their names in Italian!

Ciao

Antonella 

Former Google Contributor

Hey @AntonellaGr , 

That's the song. Every time I am hearing it somehow I am feeling younger. 

I have a deep admiration for Alpini and Bersaglieri, as they are part of our background and their songs and the fanfare are so nice to hear.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!