LucioV's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

The run to level 10: some considerations

Hi everybody,

I don't want to discuss on specific users or areas, but I'm noticing that the quality of contributions, especially on LVL 10 LG is going down.

- Same photo uploaded to dozens of different places.

- Casual photos uploaded to places (i.e. a smartphone hidden in one hand, taking photos around)

- Selfies

Everyone, here, is trying to do his best so, this should be considered a constructive suggestion: you are lvl 8, 9, 10, now, let's focus on quality, please, delete all the duplicate entries, remove selfies, and try to improve your photography skills, don't go for quantity, research quality.

I think it will take years, for me, to reach LVL 10, because i try to upload original and best quality i can photos; it's up to you keep maps a better place.

Please, share your thoughts and advices @ErmesT@PaulPavlinovich@OSAMA@YK1001

@MariaBi@TraciC@GusMoreira please, contact me privately if you need further informations.

Thanks

33 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: The run to level 10: some considerations

I totally agree with this. I think it's great we have a new goal to achieve, and some people will try to do whatever possible to achieve level 10 quickly. But in the end, it's always quality over quantity.

Your 50 high quality reviews, where you put a lot of thought into it, will help a LOT more compared to 500 reviews with just the word "good" in it, for example. I cannot stress this enough. It really does make a difference.

Keep being consistent in contributing, and enjoy the ride. Before you know it, you'll be at level 10 🙂

Googler

Hi @LucioV. There are automatic checks and balances in place and while we may not catch someone right away for sharing contributions that are against our policy, we will catch them. As you already know, there are ways to report content to us so if you have seen something inappropriate, please let us know by sending an email to the address previously shared with you.

For others coming who are not familiar with reporting content on Google Maps, please see this post.

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Googler

Agreed, @iyudhi. Quality over quantity ANY DAY! 🙂 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 8

Amen! PREACH @LucioV!! I absolutely agree. I spent a good majority of my contribution time reporting photos last week. It was amazing how in a group of 20 photos only maybe 5 were actually relevant to the location. The problem is increasingly getting worse. Contributions need to be a balance. 

Ever since the new point system with the photos being worth 5pts per picture, major abuse has taken place. 

Always Quality over Quantity!

Level 10

I think part of the problem is Google has been pretty vague about what it wants (probably because the aim always changes). Also for the type of information LG provides, it is time sensitive.. e.g. in my area 90% of restaurants die in 5 years, so you don't really need photographic permanence for a place that won't be around.

We can debate quality vs quantity till the cows come home, personally I think the key is to be able to clearly convey the information the Map user is seeking, so for goodness sake have the decency to at least include the places' name somewhere in your picture composition!! I think it really depends on the situation and medium. Also would a Google Map user notice a defect in the lower left hand quadrant of my picture when they are viewing it on the 5" smartphone? Highly doubt it. For written reviews, I personally prefer taking a look at all the reviews and make a judgement based on them instead of honing in one particular writer. I noticed people who write negatively tend to do that to all their reviews. So in that sense "sort by helpful" option has its limitations.

For gaming the system, it happens to all systems. I think part of the problem was Google kept level 5 for way too long, a portion of the former level 5 users now are probably panicking because they are no longer in the "top" tier. That's something perhaps they can reflect on.

I think LG program can used some organizational psychologists (or perhaps they have already) to manage the users.. I think there are a lot of fascinating undercurrents going on.. can get a lot of desertions written especially in this gig economy era.

Personally I find it fascinating just to observe. @LucioV Keep doing what you are doing, it is all good.. with so many LG I suspect like in all dynamic systems, it will settle into an equilibrium and balance it out in the end.

Level 9

Spot on @LucioV. Ya it will take long time to reach that level. 

flagnepal acetreks.gif  - Nepal | YouTube
Level 8

Hi @LucioV,

For any system change, it will prompt a lot of expected / expected desirable / undesirable responses.

On one hand, we are expecting Google to keep us LGs motivated keep contributing.  On the other hand, we do not want "motivations" too strong such that it will induce lots of Spammings.

As a Local Guide, I always have different objectives from time to time:

1.  Help local business

2.  Put more data to Maps

3.  Keep Maps  clean

4.  Gain points and Level up

I want to advice LGs do not rush to up Level - although you might arrive the top in comparatively short period of time, your effort might got cancelled out in a moment once Google detected you and got you banned.

I really hope Google will deploy more and more AI for all kinds of checks in Maps.  No matter it is Spam detection, Spammer detection, Duplication detection, Edits Approval, etc.

And one area outside AI that Google should consider is, how to make people reporting Bad content and Bad user as streamline as possible.

Given the current situation, LGs should spare more time on reporting.

Level 9

@LucioV , every Community have this spammers and they incease day by day  what we can do is to report as in @GusMoreira Article which @TraciC add , 

Another thing is to increase the number of Good members who think twice before add their reviews and photos , this low quality reviews not just low quality the map also low quality the businesses when some just add one letter or two and one star , and sometimes they not Visit this place ,

We report and report , but they still add the same reviews and add ...

I know spammer here and report before when I read this I open the profile , he do the same thing and approximately will reach level 10 soon , we are in Jordan and he start add reviews for Los Angeles  Now 😊

Check this with respect for all privacy .

Spam smaple ..Spam smaple ..

And I report this again now . 

Level 7

Hi there,

Yes, you are right. I came across a lot of users like that. Let me know if there is any way to report it? 

Regards,

Divyansh.

Thanks,
Divyansh Pagaria