AnuradhaP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

The power of Macro in the Connect: A video tutorial

Have you ever used macros in the Connect? It is a very powerful and time-saving tool in the connect. I came across this suddenly and I thought I should share it with fellow Local Guides.

Are you using the same paragraph over and over in replying to posts with the same question on the connect? I will tell you an example. Whenever I see a new person in the connect I am inviting him/her to introduce in the "Introduce yourself" thread for the relevant month. Earlier what I did is typing it again and again. After some time I copied the invitation line into a word file and whenever I want I copied and pasted that paragraph into the post. Both these methods took some time.

Then I came to know about this powerful tool built into the connect, the Macros. Where you can save up to 50 paragraphs with URL links and quickly use them on your posts. Every macro must have a macro title and macro. Without the macro title, you won't be able to identify and use it.

I will take another example. Whenever someone asked about the Feedback feature on Google Maps I am using the following paragraph.

"Please send a feedback to Google Maps team using the "Send Feedback" feature of Google Maps. You can learn about this by visiting this Google Maps Help article."

I think it is better to show this using a video rather than explaining it. Please see the following video. To access macro you have to go to My Setting > Macros.

The steps in the video are listed below.

1. Create the message in the post window.

2. Copy the HTML

3. Go to Macros

4. Type the macro title

5 Paste the HTML code copied in step 2 to the macro.

6 Save the Macros

7 Use it in posts.

Hope this will help you all and save some time.

@IlankovanT You can use this in your next Local Guide Knowledge Sharing session on "Posting on the Connect".

@LucioV @ErmesT @FaridTDF @ShafiulB @Kamalhasnainee @Myrathor @TraciC Hope this will help you.

Sri Lanka
23 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: The power of Macro in the Connect: A video tutorial

@AnuradhaP ..

its really a good Tutorial. 

I have used Many macros before but today learn from your post how to use this with Html.

So thanks for share this.

Level 10

@ShafiulB Nice to hear there was something for you in the tutorial. 

Level 9

@AnuradhaP oh man.. this is really useful. even I noted this macro under setting but not used. as you said this will save lots of time. hope you will also come to knowledge sharing session next week and share this kind of tricks with others.

you are best as always 🙂

Level 10

@IlankovanT Yes, it will save lots of time.

Connect Moderator

Yes @AnuradhaP. I am new Html user, I have no idea about this use, My macros was without Link so this tutorial help me to solved this issue.

and My Notification  also caught  into your Tutorial its so interesting. 

Connect Moderator

Nice and useful tutorial, @AnuradhaP, thanks for sharing with the community.

Yes, I've started to use macros months ago, adding a personal touch for every person.

Level 10

@ShafiulB Yes, your notifications were there.

Level 8

Hi @AnuradhaP..

Such an informational post you have shared with us.. This would be very useful for me in using Connect.. The video tutorial helped me a lot in completely knowing about macros.. Thank you.. 🙂

Vellore Local Guides
Level 8

Or you can simply use Canned Replies extension.
Porto Local Guides / Guias Locais Porto -> https://plus.google.com/communities/106040857680218167429
Nanos gigantum humeris insidentes.