plavarda's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

The home of many kings of France: the castle of Blois.

Photo 1: View from the Château de Blois towards the Loire river and the church of Saint Nicholas

During a holiday in the Loire valley, we stayed in Blois near the castle of the same name, one of the most important in the Loire region. Its importance is not given so much by its undoubted beauty, even if other castles are much more beautiful to the eye, as by the historical events that have taken place in it. It was not only a representative castle, for hunting, for moments of leisure and parties, for the holidays of the noble owners like others in the Loire area, but in reality the residence of various kings of France, especially of the Valois dynasty, who reigned on the throne of France from 1328 to 1589, with thirteen kings.

Photo 2: The narrow streets of Blois leading to the castle

The castle of Blois, at the time of Charlemagne, only a fortress, was gradually enlarged, transformed over the centuries by the various owners and by the various kings who succeeded one another. Its interior has seen the fulfillment of notable facts that make up the history of France. Joan of Arc was blessed in the collegiate church of San Salvatore before leaving for her battles. The plots and murders carried out within it, in the period of the wars of religion of 1500, saw as the most influential historical figure Caterina de 'Medici, wife of Henry II, and mother, but above all regent and therefore with a considerable political influence, of other 3 kings, Francis II, Charles IX, Henry III. The castle later became a golden prison for Regine, only to gradually lose its importance and suffer collapse and abandonment. In all it was the residence of 7 kings and 10 queens of France.

Through an esplanade you arrive at the entrance door of the castle, after which you enter a grandiose courtyard with colonnades on all four sides.

Photo 3: Entrance to the Louis XII wing. The entrance portal is surmounted by a niche with a life-size equestrian statue of King Louis XII. On the right of the facade the Hall of the States, which is the oldest civil Gothic hall in France having been built in 1214.

Photo 4: The inner courtyard of the Château de Blois

Photo 5: The inner courtyard of the Château de Blois

Photo 6: The inner courtyard of the Château de Blois

Photo 7: Spiral staircase, also clearly visible from the outside, in the Francis I wing of the castle of Blois

Photo 8: the King's room

Photo 9: Queen's Gallery

Photo 10: King's bed.

Photo 11: Chapel of Saint Calais

Photo 12: View of the church of San Nicola from the walls of the castle of Blois

Photo 13: Torre Foix, one of the oldest parts of the castle, built in the 13th century

Photo 14: Gothic facade of the church of San Nicola

Photo 1: Play of light inside the church of San Nicola

Photo 16: The eleventh queen inhabiting the castle of Blois: Queen Mariacristina I  - @mariacristinafossa 

@DeniGu @helga19 @TravellerG 

@PattyBlack < @renata1   @Erna_LaBeau @Mukul_Anand @davidhyno 

Blois, France
23 comments
Level 8

Re: The home of many kings of France: the castle of Blois.

Thanks for tagging me dear @plavarda . I'm very lucky to give the first like to this post . The castle is just amazing. It looks like a Disney castle or world. The king's and queen's room are still in very good condition, i really like this 😊.

Level 9

Dearest @Mukul_Anand Thank you for your answer. The castle and the furniture have had many restorations, in the 19th century it was thought to tear it down since it was in ruins. Fortunately, it was recovered and restored.

A strong hug.

Paolo

Level 9

Curtsy to the Queen Cri @mariacristinafossa 😁 love your photo 😍

@plavarda thanks a bunch for tagging me on your post. I love reading it you explain and describe it smoothly. Funny when I was about 4 or 5 years old I used to go to the attic where my father kept his school book. The book that I love to read is about french history. I thought for sure I mastered the history of France but I was wrong it was more than just in a book 😉

Photos are sharps and very detailed. 

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

#LocalGuidesUSA ~ Accessibility Champion ~ Guiding Star 2021 

Connect Moderator

Consider the time of the construction, these buildings still look new and in good shape @plavarda I understand that they want to preserve it but if these budlings are in different colour, that would be very interesting too!

Level 9

Dear @Erna_LaBeau  Queen Cri @mariacristinafossa  responds with a big wave of her hand to your welcome bow! (like Elisabetta II) 🙂  🙂  🙂  😉  I too have always been passionate about history and geography, and now the only TV channel I watch is that of History of Italian public TV, by now I have also abandoned all TV, too much bogus politics, too many bogus shows, too much advertising that we already know to be bogus! 🙂 🙂 🙂 I prefer to look at the past that makes me understand the human soul better, hoping that many will look and that it is a way not to make the same mistakes, but I have the impression that there are few people who want to learn and all use little of their discernment and let themselves be guided like sheep. It will probably be my impression! Hello and thank you for this beautiful memory of yours, it's nice to remember it when you were a child, it's a bit like not having lost that innocence!

Paolo

Level 9

Dear @Sophia_Cambodia in the nineteenth century it was thought to demolish this building as it was in catastrophic conditions. Fortunately they have decided to restore it and now we can admire it in all its beauty. Obviously, restoration is always also the reconstruction of what no longer exists, furniture, statues, collapsed parts, perhaps rebuilt on the basis of some painting found in some art gallery, because in a few decades of abandonment a building crumbles, collapses, becomes a ruin. So we do not see the colors of the sixteenth century, but the colors that those who restored think could have been there based on historical evidence. Thanks dear for your comment.

Paolo

Level 10

"are...wah..." (oh... Wow)

Fantastic post with amazing photos.

Firstly,  congratulations to the 12th Queen Cri... Photo #16 is the best - our dear Cri has the Queen on her face... he... he... he...😊

Photo #1 - seen this as wall hang somewhere...👌👌👌

As mentioned by our @Mukul_Anand, the Kings Room, Bed and Queen's Gallery are really in good shape - that's great!

Thanks my dear friend for such a lovely post...

🤝❤️👍

@plavarda and @mariacristinafossa

🙏

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 9

dearest @TravellerG with beautiful subjects like Queen Cri and Blois Castle the result of the photos was obvious! Thank you for appreciating my photo n. 1, in fact I like it too and sooner or later I'll make a poster of it. Photo 16 is fantastic, I am really lucky to have a queen as a travel companion! A big hug and thank you very much!

Paolo

Level 8

Wow the castle looks amazing @plavarda . Thanks for sharing it with us. All photos are beautifully taken. I wonder how many important decisions would have been made inside this castle by all the kings and queens. Just love the history behind it.

Keep Guiding!

Anitha Muthu