Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

The Makoko Community Walk

The Makoko Community Walk

Makoko

Makoko, Lagos, Nigeria

December 08, 2018 @ 10:00 (WAT)

The initial idea behind this meetup started out with using my passion for photography as a means to bring attention to social-based/nonprofit causes within our communities and generate interests that will help these communities with the support they need from local and international parties. However, based on comments from fellow local guides, this initial outlook will have to have a broader scope to include matters such as education, health, welfare and the environment. This will be a further extension of the Map-A-Charity meetup series I started a while ago. Makoko is a neighbourhood across the 3rd Mainland Bridge located on the coast of mainland Lagos. A third of the community is built on stilts along the lagoon and the rest is on the land. The waterfront part of the community is largely harboured by the Egun people who migrated from Badagry and Republic of Benin and whose main occupation is fishing. In July 2012, there was the destruction of several stilts on the Iwaya/Makoko waterfront and many families were rendered homeless. The outlook of this meetup is to help generate attention around the community and their needs. The most important thing to come along with is an open heart for us to really experience the community so that we know what truly needs to be done. Other things to bring along would include cameras, mobile phones, power banks and other items that can be donated to the community. See you there!!!

RSVP here

Makoko, Lagos, Nigeria
3 comments
Google Moderator

Re: The Makoko Community Walk

Hi @Sayo,

This is such a wonderful idea for a meet-up. I really can't wait to read your recap and enjoy the photos that you'll take.

Good luck and have a great time!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

Many thanks @DeniGu. Looking forward to the meetup myself and telling the 'world' about it. 

Stay tuned

Level 10

I am so so looking forward to this as we need to understand the community and how we can do even so little to help. Thanks @Sayo for organizing this!

Always happy improving the maps and connect here!