OlgaKlimchik's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

The Landmark or the Person? Brest Lamplighter, Brest, Belarus

Viktor Kirisuk, the only regular lamplighter in Brest since 2009Viktor Kirisuk, the only regular lamplighter in Brest since 2009

Maybe the only place you can see a real lamplighter who lights real kerosene lanterns in the street is Sovietskaya  Street, Brest, Belarus

Every evening in any weather at the certain time a lamplighter appears on a pedestrian street. Dressed in a dark blue uniform with a flint on his belt and a ladder in his hands, he looks as if he has came from the pages of Andersen's fairy tales.  

The whole action begins and ends at the monument of the bat, which guards the Mandate saying that the lights should be lit every day in any weather.

There are about two dozen kerosene lanterns in total. A lamplighter puts a ladder to each of them and lights a kerosene lamp inside the lantern. People are actively photographed with a lamplighter, and also make a wish by holding onto a button on his uniform. After the lamplighter lights the last kerosene lantern, electric lamps are lighted up further along the street.

Lanterns with candles burning inside them appeared in Brest in the 19th century. The tradition was restored in 2009 and from that moment the only lamplaghter of the city lights the lantern every day in warm summer and frosty winter evenings. People often ask him, what happens if he gets sick. The only answer is: Do you want I would be sick?

Now Viktor Kirisyuk thanks to his rare profession has become a talisman of the city with almost a thousand-year history. Tourists and citizens call him a good wizard: modest, intelligent, laconic, with sparkling good eyes.

DSC_7674.JPG

DSC_7670.JPGDSC_7680.JPGDSC_7687.JPG

Video:

The time when the lamplighter appears you know looking at the special clock face installed near the intersection of Sovetskaya Street and Masherov Avenue.

There is a clock showing the Lantern Light Time at the beginning of the pedestrian Sovetskaya StreetThere is a clock showing the Lantern Light Time at the beginning of the pedestrian Sovetskaya StreetDSC_7664.JPG

Now there are two lamplighters in Brest: one is a real person and other is the lamplighter sculpture, established in 2007 near the building of the Brestgorsvet (near the park).

Sovetskaya Street, Брест, Беларусь
2 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: The Landmark or the Person? Brest Lamplighter, Brest, Belarus

Thank you for sharing your succinct post @OlgaKlimchik. It is like your post took us back in time. I think it's a great idea that might attract many tourists. Did you make a wish?

Please refrain from using photos which are not yours, as it is not allowed to post images or any other content in the forum that infringes on anyone else’s legal rights, including copyright.

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Re: The Landmark or the Person? Brest Lamplighter, Brest, Belarus

@VasT Thank you for your comment, I have corrected my post.