TheEagleEye's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

The Hole in the Rock

In the Bay of Islands of New Zealand, there is an island named Motukokako. What makes this island special is the hole that goes right through it at water level.

It is a tourist attraction and there are many cruises out to the island every day, and if you are lucky (depending on the weather and tidal conditions), the skipper of the boat will take you through the hole.

The Bay of Islands is truly a magnificent area. It is called the Bay of Islands because there are 144 islands in this area.

It is known for its scenery, diving, and sports fishing. The Bay of Islands is also known for large numbers of dolphins and whales and it is common to see them. You can also get in water and swim with the dolphins.

If you go to the north of New Zealand, I recommend you take a cruise to the Hole in the Rock.

See Google Maps here https://goo.gl/maps/zETXZuftzU72, and you can view my photos here https://photos.app.goo.gl/yfCxSwt2ayH4FVxX9

The Hole in the RockThe Hole in the Rock

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Motukokako Island, Russell, New Zealand
6 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: The Hole in the Rock

Well, this is a wow @TheEagleEye!

Thanks for the awesome details and the amazing photos in your album. So useful! 🙂 

I just love that you're able to go through the hole. I'm dying to know whether the skipper took you guys around or through?

Also, I have to add, swimming with dolphins is a once-in-a-lifetime experience 😊

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 10

Yes the skipper did take us through that time @AlexaAC. I've done this trip several times with family and visitors. Most of the year is okay for going right through the hole. The dolphins are very playful with the swimmers. There is a small charge to get in the water with them and a wetsuit is provided. I hope you get the opportunity one day.

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Former Google Contributor

Excellent thanks @TheEagleEye!

Wow, what a blessing to be able to do the trip several times! I wanted to visit New Zealand, while living in Australia, but I just didn't get the chance. I did get the opportunity to swim with dolphins in South Africa though, so I'm grateful for that. 🙂

I'd love to visit New Zealand and your posts are so inspiring! Hopefully soon! 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Google Moderator

Hey @TheEagleEye,

I find New Zealand fascinating. It is so far from where I live that if I ever happen to visit it, it would be a dream come true. 

This rock reminds me of Raouche Rocks in Lebanon. There is a whole in the rocks too and I believe you can go through it with a boat.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

I hope you get to NZ some day @MoniDi. I have been to Raouche Rocks in 2017.

Raouche RocksRaouche Rocks

Google Moderator

Wow @TheEagleEye,

Another surprise from you! Great photo, by the way.

A lot of nice places on this Earth. Take a look at some of the most popular views on the map and get some new ideas for your next travel. 

Thank you for the kind wishes. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!