Karatrick's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

The Hike of Mount Muhabura in Rwanda

Standing tall as the second highest peak in the Volcanoes National Park, Mt Muhabura in Kinyarwanda or Muhavura in Luganda is also the most easterly volcano in the Birunga range, and marks the border between Rwanda and Uganda.

From the top of the volcano we got rewarded with a fantastic views over the other five volcanoes and the twin lakes of Burera and Ruhondo. There is a small crater lake at the summit and the vegetation is usually drier than in other areas of the Volcanoes National Park, with giant heather thriving on the volcano's slopes.

The climb was physically demanding and the slopes are very steep. The name Muhabura means sentinel in Kinyarwanda and its typically shaped silhouette can be seen from almost all the parts of the country.

The hike will take a full day even if i felt like two days would be even better. Hikers leave at 07:00am from the park headquarters in Kinigi, from where you will have to drive / be driven to the base of the volcano.

It took us more than 15 Hours the whole journey, but it was worth it. I will probably do this hike again in 2 years time.It so Steep that Sitting is almost like standingIt so Steep that Sitting is almost like standingPeak ReachedPeak ReachedSmall Crater LakeSmall Crater LakeHalfway UpHalfway UpA view from the PeakA view from the PeakUgandan Side Seen from the PeakUgandan Side Seen from the Peak

Optimistic in attitude | Photographer by Passion | Helping others Helps | Academically MBA
Muhavura Volcano, Uganda
5 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: The Hike of Mount Muhabura in Rwanda

This is awesome @Karatrick! I’m sure the views at the very top must have been breathtaking! And the distances you could see. How cold was it at the top vs where you started?

i would highly suggest you add your Google Maps linksto your post here so others outside of the area will know exactly where Mt Muhabura is at. You can easily do that with link icon button next to the Camera Photos button on the tool bar here.

A fellow African Local Guide from Tanzania @HeyJoe recently visited your country. I’m sure Joe would love to read your Connect post and take notes for future reference.

Cheers,

Karen 

Level 9

@Karatrick Thank you for sharing an amazing story. @KarenVChin Thank you tagging for my attention.

I have been in Kigali for some hours as I was on transit to South Africa. I have an opportunity to visit Kigali Memorial. Hopefully I will be back soon.

We have Lake Ngozi 2nd largest crate in Africa. 3 years ago i had a chance to visit it was a worth experience. Will share the story soon.

Cheers from Tanzania. 

Joe

Level 7

@KarenVChin Thank you for the advice, Once you reach the top, There's nothing more rewarding than the views all around.

@HeyJoe Your are welcome, i'll be happy to provide details whenever you want to hike Muhabura, and i'm interested to hear your advises as i'm getting ready for Kilimanjaro Next month.

I have already been at 3 Volcanoes among the Five, in Rwanda so two more to go!!!

Optimistic in attitude | Photographer by Passion | Helping others Helps | Academically MBA
Level 9

@Karatrick No worries and welcome to Kilimanjaro. I did those hike in Kilimanjaro you can make it 🙂 

I hope a tour company will give you a great tips do and donts, they are really expertees!!

Level 7

Hi@Karatrick ,  thanks for sharing the nice pics. Go on contributing

Wish you all the best.