geothearch's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

The Crown of the Continent

Though the United States National Park System remains partly closed during the shutdown, I want to share some photos and commentary of my favorite National Park* to help reinforce the importance of such places and the good that they do for those who visit. Lace up yours boots, because you’ll need them if you ever find yourself in Glacier National Park.

Hidden Lake Trail in Glacier National Park (G. Havens, 2014)Hidden Lake Trail in Glacier National Park (G. Havens, 2014)

Located in the northwest part of the State of Montana, Glacier is often referred to as the Crown of the Continent for it’s rugged mountain peaks, pristine forests, and the wildlife that call the park and it’s surrounding terrain home. If you like mountain vistas, beautifully clear alpine lakes, and the chance to see megafauna such as moose and bear, this is a great place to visit.

Grey Fox (G. Havens, 2016)Grey Fox (G. Havens, 2016)

Bull Moose (G. Havens, 2016)Bull Moose (G. Havens, 2016)

I’ve not had the fortune to call the park home, but have visited several times, and every trail I’ve taken has provided serenity and awe-inspiring views. The park is in the same moment breathtaking and meditative, and pictures only provide a hint of what this special place has to offer.

Iceberg Lake (G. Havens, 2016)Iceberg Lake (G. Havens, 2016)

Iceberg Lake Trail (G. Havens, 2016)Iceberg Lake Trail (G. Havens, 2016)

The park is open year round, though sections may be closed due to the annual torrential snowfall and any wildfires that happen to be burning of a given year. However, visiting in the off-season in the snow does have its perks. The following few photos were taken in lake September, after the lodges, restaurants, and other ‘tourist’ attractions were closed for the year.

Red Eagle Falls (G. Havens, 2016)Red Eagle Falls (G. Havens, 2016)

Glacier National Park (G. Havens 2016)Glacier National Park (G. Havens 2016)

Glacier National Park (G. Havens, 2016)Glacier National Park (G. Havens, 2016)

A few more words to those planning to head for the park. It does get busy in the late spring and summertime. If you must visit during that period, get up early in the morning (5am or earlier) and catch the sunrise over Lake McDonald or a mountain valley somewhere. The park will be much quieter and devoid of other, later waking, tourists. Unless you’re doing a long hike, you’ll have the more distant reaches of the park to yourself til about noon, when it might be a good ideal to check out other spots nearby the park, like the Izaak Walkton Inn in Essex, MT or the downtown scene in Kalispell, MT.

Many Glaciers Lodge (G. Havens, 2016)Many Glaciers Lodge (G. Havens, 2016)

Lastly, make sure you get off the road! Park the car and hit a trail, boardwalk, or overlook. If you stay by the car all day you won’t get nearly the same satisfaction as if you brave the dizzying heights of the Highline Trail, which requires a safety line to be used for the first quarter mile, but offers amazing views for those who are willing to step outside their comfort zone.  

Along the Going to the Sun Road (G. Havens, 2014)Along the Going to the Sun Road (G. Havens, 2014)

Thanks for reading and looking. If you’d like, leave a memory of a favorite park visit or photo in the comments.

Fall on the Going to the Sun Road (G. Havens, 2014)Fall on the Going to the Sun Road (G. Havens, 2014)

Geoffrey Havens
West Glacier, MT, USA
11 comments
Level 10

Re: The Crown of the Continent

Nice photos and explanation @geothearch. My wife and I visited the Grand Canyon National Park, and Zion National Park in August 2013. We enjoyed the time at each place, hiking and relaxing in nature. We want to go to US again some day and visit more National Parks.

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Level 6

Thanks for dropping a line @TheEagleEye. I'm curious, do you have a favorite memory from that visit? Please come back whenever you'd like, our parks will need the love more than ever once this closure is finally resolved.

Geoffrey Havens
Level 10

@geothearch, We just enjoyed the mesmerising views and the isolation away from the hustle and bustle of the city. We enjoy hiking at the best of times and we did a lot of it then.

We also did helicopter flight over Grand Canyon which was fascinating.

I hear now is good time to visit National Parks because it is free entry. Unfortunately unable to go now but will again in near future.

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Former Google Contributor

Hi @geothearch,

Wow, beautifully captured images. Thanks for sharing this post with us!

I've not been to Glacier National Park, but I'm inspired to go. My favorite pic is of the Many Glaciers Lodge and I would love to combine staying over with a hike. Did you have the pleasure of an overnight stay there? 😊

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 6

@TheEagleEye, thank you for sharing. While the free entry is nice, the lack of fiscal funds provided by entry fees is unfortunately doing far more harm than good at the moment. Also, with the staff laid-off, many visitors are not being very kind to these spaces. Hopefully things will return to normal soon.

Geoffrey Havens
Level 6

@TheEagleEye, thank you for sharing. While the free entry is nice, the lack of fiscal funds provided by entry fees is unfortunately doing far more harm than good at the moment. Also, with the staff laid-off, many visitors are not being very kind to these spaces. Hopefully things will return to normal soon.

Geoffrey Havens
Level 6

@AlexaAC, thank you for the wonderful compliment. Once everything gets opened up again, I highly encourage you to visit. I've never had the chance to stay at the Many Glacier or Lake McDonald lodges, which are the two historic road side park lodges as I always visited when they were closed. If you want to go during the off season, you can get a similar experience at the nearby Izaak Walton Inn (a historic railroad inn) located between the park's two entrances in Essex, MT. It's another beautiful spot if you don't mind the occasional train horn and similar. 

Geoffrey Havens
Former Google Contributor

Brilliant stuff @geothearch,

Thanks for the tip! I will for sure add this to my list.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Google Moderator

Another great post @geothearch!

Even though I haven't visited the National park, but I would really love to, I can tell this place has some marvelous views. Do you have an idea how many meters above sea level is the highest peak? 

I can tell that your wildlife photography is amazing too. 🙂 I haven't seen a moose in real life, only on TV.

I will share some photos of Belmeken Dam - one of my favorite views in Bulgaria.

Caption: A photo of Belmeken Dam, Bulgaria (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of Belmeken Dam, Bulgaria (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of cows, and the Belmeken Dam in the background (Local Guide @MoniDi)Caption: A photo of cows, and the Belmeken Dam in the background (Local Guide @MoniDi)

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!