Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Black Card technique

@TravellerG  great news !

Connect Moderator

That's good to know about Tadashi filters @TravellerG in case I ever come across them, thanks.

Level 10

Wlecome my dear friend @PaulPavlinovich

with warm regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @KlaudiyaG please post a picture if you make one that way.

CSC_3759-01.jpeg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please accept as an invitation @PaulPavlinovich and @TravellerG when you find spare time post your compositions.

Have a great week end.

Connect Moderator

Fireworks black glassFireworks black glass

Here is an example of the 16 stop firecrest @Anonymous - This was a early fireworks show for kids on New Year's Eve so it was still a bit light. I put on the black glass and recorded the entire fireworks show in a single frame. I really like how it turned out.

Connect Moderator

White Night Princes Bridge MelbourneWhite Night Princes Bridge Melbourne

This one is an example using black glass to make people vanish. Each year in Melbourne we have an overnight arts festival called White Night which runs from 7pm until 7am. Around half a million people attend the event. On this bridge between me and the sign was non stop people everywhere but they were all moving. The Firecrest 16 stop (ND400) Black Glass let me do a very long exposure which made the people vanish (mostly, those who stayed still for a lot of the exposure are there as ghosts). This is a 2,360 second exposure. It was a nightmare guarding the tripod in that crowd for that long. Fortunately I had friends alongside me.

Connect Moderator

Beaumaris Motor Squadron JettyBeaumaris Motor Squadron Jetty

This is the last one I'll share and is the more traditional use for black glass. This is a shot at 5pm (at the time of year it was shot it would have been full daylight with sunset about 2 hours away). Using the black glass I was able to make a 20 second exposure even in full daylight which turned the waves to glass and made interesting patterns in the sky.

It takes a lot of shots and experimentation to learn how to effectively use such dark glass. Even focusing through it is a chore and generally you focus without it then put it on. I used it a bit on the Canon 5dii that I used to shoot with but because I never knew what was going to happen until it finished (and waiting minutes is an eternity) I didn't use it very much. More recently I've started to play again because there is a feature on the Olympus OM-D series called "Live Time" where the picture develops on screen in front of your eyes and you can stop it when you're happy. The camera is sampling the sensor continuously just like in any long exposure but at intervals updates the screen to show you where it's up to. This makes using black glass childs play. The only things that get in the way now are batteries. On a cold night where your battery is already under stress keeping the camera running in its full power mode with both sensor and screen fully active with the shutter open means you are limited in how many really long exposures you can make. You get about 35 to 40 minutes of exposure on the OM-D EM1 Mk ii. This means in practice about 20 minutes of shooting because if you want noise cancellation it shoots the same thing again with the shutter closed to get rid of any hot pixels that have developed during the super long exposure. Regardless of the camera you'll need to let your sensor cool down between shots or you're going to get very noisy images and you can stick a pixel on permanently.

Level 10

Something, superb.. Hands-up!

The gives the value of the shot.

Thanks for sharing, dear friend @PaulPavlinovich

Level 10

Lot of details, thanks @Anonymous