PaulPavlinovich's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

The 36 Walk Connect Live Edition - Photowalk and Sightseeing [public post]

My Post (4).jpg

So you're in San Francisco around the time of Connect Live and you're wondering where to go and what to see and what to photograph? I've put together a special edition of The 36 Walk which while aimed at the photographers among us, would also be perfectly good for those Local Guides who just want to see the sites and be safe in a group of people who mostly know where they are going! While this walk is primarily aimed at the Connect Live attendees, I'm posting here because the locals are welcome to join us and meet some of the attendees and share a fun afternoon with Local Guides friends.

We will bYour hosts Paul and KarenYour hosts Paul and Karene meeting at the Hearts in Union Square at 2pm on October 15th and proceeding through lots of interesting SF Life including plenty of both tourist and local knowledge places. The walk has been put together from my own knowledge as a Bay Area resident from 15 years ago and vetted by our resident local expert @KarenVChin who pointed out some things I had missed and made some great suggestions that will turn my great walk into an awesome walk.

There will be plenty of opportunity for food and we'll have a long break at Washington Square where there is food, sweets, ice cream and drinks readily available with a big safe park with some amazing architecture.

Please RSVP on the Meetup, if you've brought relations or friends along for the holiday they're welcome to come too. SF locals not coming to Connect Live may also join us. You can see the walk on MyMaps to have a look at all the things we'll see if you want to do the tour virtually.

The walk is quite long so has been divided into two parts, and while this is normally 36 shots per walk, since there are two parts you can have 36 for each part which is 72. These numbers will not be policed so if you really want to shoot 1,000 that's really up to you :).

I would love to have everyone that is coming in early join me and Karen on this walk as an ice breaker. We'd love yo meet you and show you some of the city that we both love dearly.

San Francisco is a funny town weather wise in October. It could be anything from a cool 12 degrees Celsius up to 30 degrees Celsius. Dress in layers so you can add and remove warmth as you need it. Bring a water bottle. We will be walking up quite a few of the famous San Francisco hills and will be climbing Coit Tower. If you're not able to walk distances or stairs or steepness worry you then you might like to consider using public or private transit to get from major point to major point. When the event starts I will share my location publicly on Maps so you will always know where the head of the walk is.

SW2 No 496 Melbourne W Class Tram in San FranciscoSW2 No 496 Melbourne W Class Tram in San FranciscoWhile the walk finishes at Pier 39 we'll make our way back to Union Square using the SF Muni F Line historic street cars (I'd call them trams but Karen gets grumpy at me when I do that lol). This one is most definitely a tram because its from Melbourne SW2 No 496. Lovely old rattler. Most of the vehicles running in San Francisco are American PCC Street Cars from Philadelphia and some SF natives with a few from other cities around the world including Melbourne, Tuscany, and Milan. You can find out more about the historic streetcars https://www.sfmta.com/getting-around/muni/historic-streetcars.

Please note that from time to time on this walk (at least the start, top of Coit Tower, Washington Square, Fishermans Wharf and Pier 39) we'll go live on YouTube so the folks who aren't lucky enough to be with us at Connect Live can join in the fun.

Regards Paul

Hearts in San Francisco, Barbary Coast Trail, San Francisco, CA, USA
16 comments
Level 10

Re: The 36 Walk Connect Live Edition - Photowalk and Sightseeing [public post]

@PaulPavlinovich

Great Plan.

All the Best.

Vijay Desai

Connect Moderator

Thanks @VijayDesai I'll reveal the YouTube live sessions on the day so keep an eye on Connect so you can join us virtually.

Level 10

Thanks.

Level 9

Unique idea @PaulPavlinovich all the best ....

Connect Moderator

@PaulPavlinovich

I was thinking about setting up a Shared Google Album so that people could share pictures (if they'd like to) in a shared repository that every attendee can see. We can start it from the photo walk and then perhaps keep it open for a month so that people can share their pictures (because most of us would be heading to different locations within SF/other states/cities) and most of us would be opting for different activity options (like @SoniaK's RoadTrip, your Photo Walk, a random casual downtown walk, like @JedR is planning for Muiri woods or perhaps @KarenVChin's Sailing tour on 19th). That way, we can have a pool of amazing photos (unofficial album). 

we can then make it public (ofcourse with permission from every member) for the entire world to see where we went and how we interacted. 

I have seen past year's Official Albums on G+ and they look amazing, I just think that if it comes from 150 different lenses, its going to be massive. 

Just a thought

Connect Moderator

@OmerAli, we have done this in the past with our individual meetup activities.

Not everyone takes photos, I know hard to believe, and it’s cool to see everyone else’s perspectives of the same event.

Don’t worry, this will be covered and we do share. Note: Not everyone will share their photos in a group Google Photos album too. I know this from personal experiences.

Cheers,

Karen

Connect Moderator

Hi @OmerAli while I have put a few images into the shared group albums I generally don't do this, partly because as a photographer I don't like it to be so easy for someone to download my images but also sometimes out of privacy and respect for the NDA we all have to sign.

In previous years I've put mine into a collection on g+. I'm not sure I'll do that this year so I don't have an answer at this point.

In the first Summit the attendees actually broke Google Photos by making a shared album bigger than anyone thought possible. Albums now have limits because of that event!

It will be nice to find a way to share images in a way everyone here on Connect can see them.

Regards Paul

Connect Moderator

Thanks for the update @PaulPavlinovich

I never knew we had a limit on photos in an album.

Also, NDA and privacy policies are going to be major concerns here. 

So, I assume there won't be no photo sharing.

I can't think of any other possible way to do, I still hope that someone might come up with a solution

Connect Moderator

Generally the NDA is ok, They don't mind us sharing still images from the event as long as you can't see the content of any slides, write ups, working desks or videos that we get shown during sessions. Sharing the social side of things is very much encouraged @OmerAli so your idea is a good one.