Ivi_Ge's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Moderator

The 3 best dishes I tried in Japan

As some of you may know, I’m from Sofia, Bulgaria, but had the opportunity to study at Fukuyama University a few years ago. I lived in a small village called Matsunaga, in Hiroshima prefecture. During my time there, I practiced my kanji, learned a lot, and met many wonderful people.

Two of the people I became close to were Mr. and Mrs. Atsuchi, an elderly couple living in a house next door. Their beautiful house was 100 years old with tatami floor, kotatsu, and a beautiful view when you open the traditional doors of the house.

Mr. and Mrs. Atsuchi helped me a lot throughout my year in Japan. Mrs. Atsuchi worked as a Japanese language teacher and I had the opportunity to learn from her  every day. She taught me different things about the culture and the language.

She also often prepared traditional dishes and invited me to try them. Sometimes, she even asked me to cook with her. I didn’t have a single bad meal in Japan!

Here are the best dishes I tried during my time there.

1. Okonomiyaki Hiroshima style (お好み焼き広島風)

Is it a pancake? Or is it a pizza? Hmm... Okonomiyaki is a real must when it comes to Japanese food, as it is so delicious! It is a fried pancake and consists of butter and cabbage. Different toppings and ingredients are added. It can be anything from sliced meat and seafood to wasabi and cheese. This variety is what gave it its name “Okonomi,” which means “to one’s liking.”

You can find Okonomiyaki all over Japan, in each restaurant that specialize in this dish but it is most popular in the West, particularly in the cities of Hiroshima and Osaka which have their own variations. I had Okonomiyaki in Hiroshima and Kyoto and they were very different. The Hiroshima-style Okonomiyaki includes a layer of fried Soba noodles and it became the best to me.

At some Okonomiyaki restaurants each dining table is equipped with an iron griddle (“teppan”) and the customers can receives the ingredients and prepare their Okonomiyaki by themselves.

Caption : A photo of a traditional Japanese food - Okonomiyaki.Caption : A photo of a traditional Japanese food - Okonomiyaki.Caption: A photo of  Google Moderator Ivi_Ge while eating Okonomiyaki at traditional Japanese restaurant, Hiroshima, Japan.Caption: A photo of Google Moderator Ivi_Ge while eating Okonomiyaki at traditional Japanese restaurant, Hiroshima, Japan.

1. Ramen (ラーメン)

It is a wheat noodle soup that was originally imported from China. It is one of the most popular and cheap dishes in Japan. Ramen restaurants, or “ramen-ya,” can be found everywhere in Japan, and they serve countless regional variations of this common noodle dish.

Shoyu Ramen is the most common type of ramen. This is usually what is served when the menu does not offer a specific type of soup. Shoyu ramen is clear, brown broth flavored noodle soup with soy sauce (shoyu).

Caption: A photo of traditional Japanese noddle soup - Ramen in Fukuyama, Japan.Caption: A photo of traditional Japanese noddle soup - Ramen in Fukuyama, Japan.Caption: A photo of me while eating delicious ramen at small restaurant in Fukuyama city, Japan.Caption: A photo of me while eating delicious ramen at small restaurant in Fukuyama city, Japan.

The soup is usually made of chicken broth but often contains other types of meat such as pork, beef or fish depending on the region. It usually also contains hard-boiled egg and different vegetables, such as onion, mushrooms, bean sprouts, seaweed and corn.

1. Yakiniku (焼肉)

Yakiniku is a Japanese version barbecue, which invites diners to cook slices of meat and vegetables on a plate or griddle in the middle of the table. Beef and offal are the most popular options at Yakiniku restaurants, but also pork, chicken and seafood are usually on the menu. If you are feeling really hungry, visit a Yakiniku that offers Tabehodai (all-you-can-eat), and stuff yourself silly!

Caption: A photo of Japanese version barbecue - Yakiniku in Kyoto city, Japan.Caption: A photo of Japanese version barbecue - Yakiniku in Kyoto city, Japan.

What are some of the best Japanese dishes you’ve tried and where did you get them?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Japan
66 comments
Level 8

Re: The 3 best dishes I tried in Japan

Thanks @Ivi_Ge for share with us. All food looking very delicious. 

Level 9

Looks so delicious foods, thank you @Ivi_Ge for sharing

Level 10

Wow, what a delicious post @Ivi_Ge

Level 9

Betreff: The 3 best dishes I tried in Japan

@Ivi_Ge oh my god your post is amazing! When I read it I thought back to my vacation in Japan two years ago! It was amazing! I absolutely loved Sapporo Beer 🙂

I ❤️ being a local guide! My contributions
My Connect Profile
Level 7

My favorite is yakisoba. I'm addicted, and it's my test of a Japanese restaurant back here in the states. If they can't make yakisoba right, I don't bother going there again.

Level 3

I visit Japan on a more or less regular basis. My Farewell Dish is always okonomiyaki in a small shop in Matsumoto! Love it!!

Connect Moderator

Okonomiyaki looks very interesting, and I have no idea of what it would taste like.. I hope to try it some day. 

I have had ramen a few times and it is pretty good, but not as good as I imagine it is in Japan. One of the places I've tried it is in a bar called 430.

Caption: the best ramen I have had so far, it came with free tea too. I also had some dumplings.Caption: the best ramen I have had so far, it came with free tea too. I also had some dumplings.

I have also had a great udon in Nueva Casa Japonesa (in English: New Japanese House).

Caption: Udon, they were really goodCaption: Udon, they were really good

I have never had Yakiniku but I did have Yakitori in Tori Tori, which looks pretty similar.Yakitori.jpg

I just googled it to know the difference between them and apparently Yakiniku involves grilling pork and beef yourself, like how it's done in Korean barbeques. I also found out that Yakiniku day in Japan is really soon, on August 29th!

Thank you for sharing this with us @Ivi_Ge ?

Level 5

感恩

日本是很會做料理的人

吃美食的特別国度

我可以很知道妳的感覺

Level 1

Love your post! The food looks appetizing. Haven't tried any of those yet. But now, I want to!