AnoukV's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Thanks again for applying to LG Summit 17

I want to say a HUGE thank you to everyone for putting in the effort to apply to the Local Guides Summit 2017. You should have all received an email now to let you know whether you are one of the lucky 150 summit attendees (sent on 19 May) or not (sent on 25 May). I want to re-emphasize that we received thousands of applications — many of them very high quality — and our team of community managers spent many days reviewing them to ensure that we have a diverse spread of Local Guides Level 5.

We looked at a number of factors, including engagement in the community by being a meet-up host or community moderator, high quality and consistent contributions to Maps, passion and enthusiasm in the form responses and creativity of the video (not production value as many of them were filmed on smartphones in one take).

In the end the 150 participants are from 60 diverse nationalities around the world!

summit-17-unsuccessful-02.png

I encourage you to join in and cheer on the selected attendees and keep an eye out for our exciting program of live video on our social channels during the Summit this October.

We're all part of the same community of Local Guides who are passionate about making the map better for everyone. We are always striving to make experiences better for Local Guides, so thank you for your continued feedback.

54 comments
Level 10

Re: Thanks again for applying to LG Summit 17

You are heartily welcome @AnoukV. Hoping that the same another chance will happen for us in upcoming years also. This time couldn't make my way to SF. Lets hope next year will be in my favor. hahaha

Thank you so much and the team to organize such events for us. 🙂

I have edited my comment to add one question:

Is it necessary to be a community moderator to increase one factor ? I see 'meet-up host or community moderator' written in the post. I think this 'or' has a great value since LG does not allow more than one community in the same place and it is not possible for all to be community moderator. So I considered meet-up host as an option of community moderator. Am I right at this point? 🙂 

Level 9

@AnoukV No need to thanks. It was a great experience for me. I really love to be the part of this huge and amazing community. 

A few days ago I was addicted to Facebook, but now a days I'm addicted to connect. In these days I m trying my best to learn from my fellow local guides.

In connect everyone like a teacher for me. I m so much happy to work with all of you.

Thanks again for giving me a chance to be the part of this community.

keep smiling........

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 10

@BishowvijayaP Valid point raised. 

@AnoukV

@deepakjhic

@BishowvijayaP wrote:

You are heartily welcome @AnoukV. Hoping that the same another chance will happen for us in upcoming years also. This time couldn't make my way to SF. Lets hope next year will be in my favor. hahaha

Thank you so much and the team to organize such events for us. 🙂

I have edited my comment to add one question:

Is it necessary to be a community moderator to increase one factor ? I see 'meet-up host or community moderator' written in the post. I think this 'or' has a great value since LG does not allow more than one community in the same place and it is not possible for all to be community moderator. So I considered meet-up host as an option of community moderator. Am I right at this point? 🙂 

Level 8

@AnoukV wrote:

I want to say a HUGE thank you to everyone for putting in the effort to apply to the Local Guides Summit 2017. You should have all received an email now to let you know whether you are one of the lucky 150 summit attendees (sent on 19 May) or not (sent on 25 May). I want to re-emphasize that we received thousands of applications — many of them very high quality — and our team of community managers spent many days reviewing them to ensure that we have a diverse spread of Local Guides Level 5.

We looked at a number of factors, including engagement in the community by being a meet-up host or community moderator, high quality and consistent contributions to Maps, passion and enthusiasm in the form responses and creativity of the video (not production value as many of them were filmed on smartphones in one take).

In the end the 150 participants are from 60 diverse nationalities around the world!

summit-17-unsuccessful-02.png

I encourage you to join in and cheer on the selected attendees and keep an eye out for our exciting program of live video on our social channels during the Summit this October.

We're all part of the same community of Local Guides who are passionate about making the map better for everyone. We are always striving to make experiences better for Local Guides, so thank you for your continued feedback.

Hello @AnoukV

Thank you very much for giving us an incredible opportunity. I am very excited as I am selected for LGSummit17 and appreciate the smooth process of the application  and selection process. I am sure Connect Moderators have done a very tiring job to go through a huge number of applicants and really appreciate the hardwork done.

See you in San Francisco Anouk. Am equally excited to meet 60 Local Guides from around the world and other LGC moderator s.

Congratulations to all who made it this time. Lastly I call the rest to keep on contributing to Google Maps and target to attend LGSummit18.

🤗👐🙏

Cheers 

Level 10

Thank you so much @ProfArunCM for validation of my question. 🙂

Level 9

Thank you @AnoukV for writing this post and showing the Local Guides a pathway to make it to LGSummit2018.

Looking forward to meet you in October!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did I understand this well @AnoukV?

"In the end the 150 participants are from 60 diverse nationalities around the world!"

60 diverse nationalities not countries?

And one question, if you are able to answer me this, did you choose anyone from this part of EX Yugoslavia region (Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro)?

Thanks, Dragan,

Level 8

I enjoy helping make maps better, however, I was wondering if anyone who was turned down last year ,2016, made the cut this year?

I ask because while it's fun, my ultimate goal is to attend a summit. And as much fun as I am having I don't want to spend another year helping only to be turned down again in 2018.

Texan by birth New Yorker by choice Y'all
Connect Moderator

@BishowvijayaP Being a Community Moderator is not a hard requirement, but it certainly will help. Based on my experience last year, there were many of chosen attendees that are not Community Moderators. For example... me! 🙂 I'm not a Community Moderator and back then Local Guides Connect didn't exist yet (thus, not yet a Connect Moderator). I was just a passionate level 5 Local Guide and just enjoyed being active in the community. Looking at this year attendees, there are people that aren't supported Community Moderators as well.

And also, you don't really need to be a Community Moderator to do community activities like hosting meetups and stuff. The important thing is to be genuine and have fun at it (of course) 🙂