TraciC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank you for submitting your Connect Live application

Googler

Photo Caption: Connect Live 2018 branding which includes a global skyline and fireworks.Photo Caption: Connect Live 2018 branding which includes a global skyline and fireworks.

Update, 6/13/18: All 151 selected applicants have been notified about their status and all remaining Local Guides will hear about their status by June 20th.

Over the coming days everyone who applied for this year’s Local Guides event, Connect Live 2018, will receive an email about whether or not they have been selected to attend. I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for submitting their applications and let you know how much fun the team had in reviewing the thousands (yes, THOUSANDS) of applications.

We have selected 151 Local Guides to represent the global community at Connect Live 2018. That’s right: you heard it here first that we selected an extra Local Guide to share information back with the community!

Every person selected was carefully reviewed by the team and chosen for a very special reason. While some may not share their status just yet, we ask you to be patient as they work through their excitement — and the details.

Overall, it was inspiring to see how committed many of you are to the Local Guides community on top of making fantastic contributions to Google Maps: helping your local community by adding new places, creating lists to help others exploring your area, and hosting meet-ups to connect locally, just to name a few. It was fun learning about your specific passions, too. Whether you were one of the vegan foodies, accessibility champions, or rappers (yes, there were rappers!), you help to keep Connect a warm and welcoming place for Local Guides no matter where in the world you may call home.

I’m proud to be a Local Guide and I look forward to seeing our global community grow over the coming weeks, months, and years, especially here on Connect.

Keep an eye on #LocalGuidesConnect here on Connect and on social media to hear what folks are saying about this year’s event!

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
3,148 Comments
Level 10

The only way we know about connect live application result is a mail @sablesgjkgknvjhv. Let me approach to @brittym. I hope she will address your issue.

Level 8

@mdmkoo wrote:

It's already a pleasure to be able to apply! Shall try again next year!!It's already a pleasure to be able to apply! Shall try again next year!!

Binge watching Google Local Guides' YouTube channel and hoping I'll be there next year!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEeHmfGLcSga8gRlHCMt6zg/videos

Connect Moderator

@mdmkoo That's the attitude. 

I am sure you will make it next year. 

Level 8

@OmerAli wrote:

@mdmkoo That's the attitude. 

I am sure you will make it next year. 

I can't say for sure myself... but it's very sweet of you to say that! Thanks for the encouragement and affirmation!

Level 9

Hi @sablesgjkgknvjhv:

Please have a look at the update on this post. The selected attendees have already been informed.

Sorry for this news, but I hope you keep contributing so you'll be ready for the next event! 🙂

I'll be merging your post to the thread to keep all of the conversations for Connect Live together.

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!

@Shirley 

Yes. I got your point. Even all my friends got mail if they are selected or not but i didn't got any mail.

So like what should I do ?

Level 8

Check again @shravanmantri92

Level 8

Excellent advice @Shirley

Level 8

Better luck next time @mdmkoo

Level 8

Good advice @BishowvijayaP

Level 9

@shravanmantri92: did you ever receive a confirmation email indicating that you had applied? It would have been sent about a week after your application. If you didn't, then you may not have applied properly. Sorry to bring you that news. 

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 5

@iyudhi wrote:

@bdmafuz The selection criteria can be found from the Connect Live page. Here's a snippet from the FAQ. I highlighted the most important parts.

What is your selection criteria?

Applications will be open only to Local Guides Level 5+ during the application period.

Applicants will be selected based on a number of factors including, but not limited to:

• The submission of a complete application with the following requirements:

• Each Local Guide must submit a 1-minute video message, appearing on camera to share reasons for applying

• Each Local Guide must submit at least one post on Connect with an introductory message and more insights into their experience with the program

• We’ll also be looking for:

• High quality, well-rounded and consistent contributions to Google Maps in the past 12 months

• Consistent involvement with the Local Guides community such as being an active Connect contributor, meet-up host and Connect moderator

• The ability to understand and speak English

Puno hvala na Selection criteria. Da li su kandidati izabrani prema navedenim kriterijima? Da li se to može doznati?

Level 8

Next year is our turn. 

See you next year buddies.🤗

@flory 100% we will........................................

| Volunteers don’t get paid, not because they’re worthless, but because they’re priceless

Level 8

@trasiKR wrote:

Better luck next time @mdmkoo

I'm only level 6 so can't expect much. Will continue to contribute and really hope for better luck next time! Thank you @trasiKR!

That's the spirit!

Very nicely explained to those who are still confusing for non receipt of mail. Many might not have been sure of submission of the completed application.

When the action (1) is absent & not received the mail to this effect, that is confirmation of receipt of application then it will be needless to wait for selection or rejection.

It is better your message appear as header or referred / quoted  by many LG's to reach all.

@YK1001 wrote:

Hi Pair,

Please check:

1.  If you have the confirmation email for your application, subject: Thanks for applying to join Connect Live!

2.  If you have the "You made the Cut" email, subject:  Thousands applied—and you made the cut

3.  If you have the "Thank you for applying" email, subject: You didn't get into Connect Live this year

If you do not have 1/., that might indicate your application is not received at all.  Then you will not got any of 2/. nor 3/. 

Please search in your SPAM folder and Archive folder carefully.

Good luck!

Dhanasekaran
Level 8

Hope it will be our turn! Hope to see everyone next year!! Let's continue to contribute!

It's already a pleasure to be able to apply! Shall try again next year!!It's already a pleasure to be able to apply! Shall try again next year!!

Level 8

I hope the 151 invited participants can come and share with us their contributions over the years, so we know how to work towards greater chance of participating in Local Guides Connect next year 🙂 It'll be a wealth of knowledge beneficial to the thousands of unselected participants like me!

For the reasons of privacy, it is said that the selected 150 participants are not published.

Those who declare the selection, it is on their own
Iz razloga privatnosti navodi se da odabrani 150 sudionika nije objavljeno.

Oni koji izjavljuju selekciju, sami

Dhanasekaran
Level 6

Good luck to everyone attending.

Is there anyone from Pakistan, selected?  

At least I receive my email.  In this ocation I wasn't selected for the event.  The next year I'll aply again.  I hope all the local guides selected spend a good time with  new experiences.  Congrarulations my dear friends. 

Former Google Contributor

Hey @AmarilisCuetoC,

Thanks for submitting your application. 

I will move your topic here - Thank you for submitting your Connect Live application.

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators

I'm officially broken mindI'm officially broken mindHurt but not Bloody
On April 20, 2018, I got an email from GLG "You could join this year's big event in California" then without a second thought I decided to be desperate to follow this competition. At first I was very excited to promote this to my followers, my friends, my family and I was willing to spend my money to make a 1 minute video and promote it in social media like IG. I managed to promote my video link on Youtube so many people can know what is GLG and I keep praying to God to be given a chance to learn more in "Connect Live" event. I hope, passion, optimism and believe that I can join in this year's event. 
But after 2 months I am waiting for news and announcement of who is entitled to join in the big event, exactly June 20, 2018 I stay up and every minute I refresh inbox in my email and found a new email from GLG that "You did not get into Connect Live this year ". Immediately I felt like killing me slowly. I burst into tears and felt the pain so deep but not bloody. Maybe for you guys, I'm very overrated. But that is the reality that I feel, between hesitating and giving up. Doubtful because I remember there is still another chance for the participants if the selected ones can not attend the event. Give up because it is impossible to get a chance.
Honestly, I envy the 150 elected participants because I think the election is less transparent.
Is there no chance for new local guides to gain more knowledge?
Why should 150 participants who have ever joined in the event selected again?
Can the quota be added? or at least one who has joined enough once just got the chance?
Indeed, this event is held once a year, but do not you think for new local guides who are very excited like me and have the potential to help GLG better known, do not get that chance. Hope is gone, even I do not intend anymore to participate in a competition like this next year.
I find out some of the selected participants to view their videos, but in fact some are not announced on some social media and they can be elected.
How can I learn to have my videos accepted by your side?

For the last time
Please, give me a last chance to join the "Connect Live 2018" event. 

I am not sorry for everything I sacrificed, my time, my material, my self-esteem, but I still hope miracles happen to me.
I promise, I will do my best to be a local guide in my country (Indonesia)
I apologize if there is a mistake, maybe it's a form of my emotions for a moment.
Thank you for your attention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGab7nczPV4
HopelessHopeless

I'm doneI'm done

SadnessSadness

Hi 

@Shirley

Connect Moderator 

Thanks .please do me a favour what is the Status of my application - to join Connect Live 2018 till date I didn't receive any email reply from Connect Live 2018 at San Francisco, California . I am Local Guide Level 7 from  India .Waiting for reply email of Connect Live 

With regards 

@Jayalakshmi_Rao_S

Local Guide 

Level 7

INDIA 

Hello @Christy_Samantha,

Applicants were selected based on various criteria as was shared on the event site and here on Connect. There was something special about every applicant. Narrowing applications from thousands to 151 was a very difficult choice. We encourage you to keep contributing to Google Maps and be active in the Local Guides program. Doing this helps others find great local places, supports small businesses, and can even make it easier for people to get vital information. In addition to helping others, connecting with like-minded Local Guides, and getting your stories told, your contributions could also get you perks. As a special surprise, perks may be offered from time to time to say “thanks!” for being a Local Guide.

I will move your topic here - Thank you for submitting your Connect Live application.

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators

Hi

@TraciC

I have submitted my application on 27th April 2018 to join in Connect Live 2018 at San Francisco, California. Today is 21st June I did not receive reply email so please do the needful action. Waiting for Connect Live email and please find out my application status. Waiting for your reply email. 

With regards 

@Jayalakshmi_Rao_S

Local Guide 

Level 7

INDIA 

Level 9

Hi my dear Community member and dear friend on Connect I really sorry to hear this from you that you really crying for your chance to get in. We can pray for your miracle and other I can suggest you as a friend and or as connect live member please be brave and prepare for next event continue your hard work because you can get your chance next year rather you disappointment here pull your socks up for next season @Christy_Samantha

Hi @shadmanjohn,

I wanted to let you know that I moved your post to a more suitable thread.

Please search the community before posting as the same subject can be already being discussed.

Thanks.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 6

Nice advice 

Thanks 

Hey @flory,

Thanks for your positivism. Keep up the good contributions.

Level 6

Hi @TraciC

Since I haven't received anything, I am under the impression that I haven't been selected, however I also didn't receive any communication about my application. I was wondering if the team at Google ever received it? I'm quite confused with the entire process as this is my first time applying. 

Hope to hear from you!

Best, 

Albi 

Level 7

Hi @Christy_Samantha,

I am so sorry for U and can understand very well your state of mind bcoz i have also gone through the same till 20th Jun, the deadline for announcement of @connectlive2018, the biggest event of all LGs. But plz think positively as we didn't even know about such a lucky thing for any of the eligible LGs. 

Plz remember that we all joined as Volunteer and didn't even have the clue to have this big dream of our life, which is actually a Bonus for 151 LGs this year, who deserve to be the best, who are among us ! So, we need not worry for being not selected this year, U and i included. 

We must now strive harder, work more, learn more and i'm sure we will improve our skills more and make Google Maps a better one. In the process, we will also cross many levels and help the community a lot. Who knows if all the above happens in the coming months we stand a good chance for being selected in 2019 ! So, let's start working towards that. Be cheerful always!

With kind regards,

Friendly ,

Shiva

Connect Moderator

@Christy_Samantha I understand your disappointment, and nothing I'll say now probably will make it any better. But I'll try anyway by answering a few of your concerns:

Is there no chance for new local guides to gain more knowledge?

That really depends on what you mean by 'new' Local Guides. From the rules, it was clearly stated that you need to be at least level 5 and over 21 years old to be eligible to be picked for Connect Live. Anything after that is fair game. For a refresher, you can check the FAQ portion of the Connect Live page. As far as gaining more knowledge, Connect Live is only a small portion. You can gain more knowledge by interacting with the community. This platform, Local Guides Connect, is a good place to do that, as you'll be able to interact with Local Guides all over the world, from beginners to veterans. 

Why should 150 participants who have ever joined in the event selected again?

Why not? If they kept maintaining their Local Guides activities, and keep contributions on Maps and their local community, then it should be fair game for them to be considered again. If I may ask the opposite, why should they not be considered?

Can the quota be added? or at least one who has joined enough once just got the chance?

The first event (it was called Local Guides Summit) was back in 2016 and 75 applicants were selected to attended the event. The second Summit, last year, the cap was raised to 150 (although 151 ended up getting invited), and the number stay the same this year. My guess would be it depends on how much the program grows, as definitely there's a chance (emphasis on the word 'chance', as it's not guaranteed) that the number will be increased again in the future.

Indeed, this event is held once a year, but do not you think for new local guides who are very excited like me and have the potential to help GLG better known, do not get that chance. Hope is gone, even I do not intend anymore to participate in a competition like this next year.

The main reason of the Local Guides program is to help provide and improve high quality information on Google Maps. Something that people use and depend on during their daily lives. Connect Live is only a subset of it, and it's not the one and only thing for new Local Guides to learn. I noticed that you're from Indonesia. I'm actually Indonesian myself and I can help you connect to a few Local Guides community in Indonesia if you're interested. Doing this will expose you more to the Local Guides program and learn about it. 

Don't let this discourage you from applying again next year. Keep in mind there are only 151 out of thousands of applicants that were selected. Not selected doesn't mean Google doesn't care about you, or that you're not a good Local Guide. Don't see getting invited to Connect Live as the end goal of being a Local Guide. There's so much cool things that you can experience by being a Local Guide, aside from getting invited to this yearly event. 

I find out some of the selected participants to view their videos, but in fact some are not announced on some social media and they can be elected.

The only public requirement for applying to Connect Live is to have a posting on Local Guides Connect, as part of your application process. The post can be a new one, or it can be a post written before the application period opened. For video, the applicants just needed to make sure the organizer will be able to view the video. If someone upload their video on YouTube and set it to 'unlisted', only those with the link will be able to see the video. Google also already stated that they will not release the list of selected applicants. This is actually a common practice, as I'm not aware of any other similar events releasing their selected participants for public. Those that are sharing the happy news on social media did voluntarily.

I hope that clears some things up. Thanks for understanding.

Level 8

Better luck next time @Christy_Samantha

Level 9

Hi @Jayalakshmi_Rao_S:

Did you receive any confirmation emails within about a week of submitting your application? This email would have indicated that your application was received. If you didn't receive this, then it means your application was not submitted properly. I'm sorry to tell you this.

The emails for both selected and non selected attendees have all been sent out now, you can see the details in this post. Double check your spam folders to see if there is any emails there.

Don't give up, keep contributing so you'll be ready for the next event.

Level 7

Hi @iyudhi,

Very impressive and inspirational write up for all who feel the same way as our new friend @Christy_Samantha. It gives a overall picture of how to go ahead and do better mapping happily.

Lot of things to learn for a person like me.

You have shown a new path to move ahead at this juncture. I'm very much thankful for guiding like a friend! This is what i like about LGs family.

Kind regards,

Shiva

Hi 

@TraciC

As per Google email received i submitted my application with video to join in Connect Live 2018.on 27th April 2018. Till date I did get any email reply from Connect live please check my Status of Application and request to send reply email with out any delay please. 

I am active Local Guide as  hoist of Visakhapatnam City of Destiny: INDIA contributed to the Album :World Wide Photo Walk Meet Up - Jayalaakshmi range. s. . As a member of Local Guides Connect extended my act participation regarding Connect Live 2018  in publishing at Google Local Guides World, Google Local Guides I INDIA ,Google Local Guides West Bengal and on  Facebook as Facebook Super Editor .So please see my Status of application and reply please. I am not only Local Guide Lever 7 but also Facebook Super Editor at Facebook Editors Community. I would like to join Connect Live 2018 just to exchange ideas with local guides at Connect live 2018  

Hope please check the status of my application at Connect live 2018 

With regards 

@Jayalakshmi_Rao_S

Local Guide 

Level 7 

Host 

Visakhapatnam City of Destiny :INDIA 

"Not selected doesn't mean Google doesn't care about you, or that you're not a good Local Guide. Don't see getting invited to Connect Live as the end goal of being a Local Guide. There's so much cool things that you can experience by being a Local Guide, aside from getting invited to this yearly event."

These lines must be borne in mind by all the local guides especially by those who worry very much on not being selected for the Connect program.

Let us believe that Google Maps grow bigger with more features so as to require more attendees for the summit.

Wish the cap be increased by double or the frequency also increased to twice a year. 

The Venue of the summit can also be at several regions/ countries.

Thanks iyudhi for apprising the situation to the frustrated Local Guides to understand  

Dhanasekaran
Level 8

@mdmkoo wrote:

I hope the 151 invited participants can come and share with us their contributions over the years, so we know how to work towards greater chance of participating in Local Guides Connect next year 🙂 It'll be a wealth of knowledge beneficial to the thousands of unselected participants like me!

I have been taking photos when out and about but sometimes procrastinated in sharing the photos... last night i sat down and started sharing all the photos of places that I haven't shared on Google Maps...

I'm level 7 now! I'm elated! 

Well, I guess I shouldn't procrastinate anymore in contributing... hopefully with my new found enthusiasm, I'll be able to contribute more and more, and get myself selected someday... maybe 2019, maybe 2020... I don't know... haha.

For all those who didn't get selected, please do not despair... this is not the end. Let's just continue to do what we love to do best... to share our knowledge with others so as to help others. I'm sure we are all here for that very reason. At least it is for me. Going or not is not the main purpose right? But getting to go will definitely be a huge bonus to any one of us. Let's continue to contribute and share. All the best in the application of LGC in the coming years!! 🙂

Level 6

Congrats. I hope to be as lucky next year. 

Level 6

Please check your gmail inbox. All of the applicants have been notified whether they selected or not.

Cheers, 

Abdul Mannan | Local Guide Level 6|
Level 6

Absolutely. The connect live is an bonus.

Level 6

Don't worry man. Don't lose hope.

keep contributing.

Cheers,

Level 4

I'm a level 5 guide but wasn't selected for the event... Can I pay for my own travel expenses (I live nearby) and attend at least some of the events?? I just want to hangout with other awesome guides and people

Level 9

Hello there,

It's 22nd June here in India I didn't get any mail saying I have not been selected  for connect live 2018 I have raised this issue on connect live thread but I didn't get any response there.I have applied application on 28th of april but I didn't get any confirmation mail saying that they (Google) have recived my application which was to be supposed to be received by one week after applying application.Since I didn't get any confirmation mail by one week I raised my question here on local guides connect and I got a reply saying because of huge response from local guides to event they couldn't send the confirmation mail within a week.

My doubt is whether my application has been viewed or not.Also I have seen many local guides just like me has not received the mail is this a fault of google,if it is please fix this so in future no one  get disappointed.

@AriMar @GeorgesHR @TraciC @BruceDM

P.S. -I have gone through spam folders didnt find any and i recive all other Google mails like monthly report and perks

Peace

Shravan😃✌️

Level 7

When I was get an email from google then I was apply and come to google social side introduce many one see many local guide they are very much efficient and talent then me, then I know I am not selected for this year. Good luck for 150 who are most active then us. Rest of all try for next time. 

Level 9

Did you get this mail ??

Thanks for applying to join Connect Live!lgmail.PNG

Level 9

Hi @TEJASJANI

I guess you didn't read my post properly,.I didn't get any mail about "they have received my application"

I raised this issue back in may but I got response saying because of huge application there will be delay in receiving the mail.