TraciC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank you for submitting your Connect Live application

Googler

Photo Caption: Connect Live 2018 branding which includes a global skyline and fireworks.Photo Caption: Connect Live 2018 branding which includes a global skyline and fireworks.

Update, 6/13/18: All 151 selected applicants have been notified about their status and all remaining Local Guides will hear about their status by June 20th.

Over the coming days everyone who applied for this year’s Local Guides event, Connect Live 2018, will receive an email about whether or not they have been selected to attend. I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for submitting their applications and let you know how much fun the team had in reviewing the thousands (yes, THOUSANDS) of applications.

We have selected 151 Local Guides to represent the global community at Connect Live 2018. That’s right: you heard it here first that we selected an extra Local Guide to share information back with the community!

Every person selected was carefully reviewed by the team and chosen for a very special reason. While some may not share their status just yet, we ask you to be patient as they work through their excitement — and the details.

Overall, it was inspiring to see how committed many of you are to the Local Guides community on top of making fantastic contributions to Google Maps: helping your local community by adding new places, creating lists to help others exploring your area, and hosting meet-ups to connect locally, just to name a few. It was fun learning about your specific passions, too. Whether you were one of the vegan foodies, accessibility champions, or rappers (yes, there were rappers!), you help to keep Connect a warm and welcoming place for Local Guides no matter where in the world you may call home.

I’m proud to be a Local Guide and I look forward to seeing our global community grow over the coming weeks, months, and years, especially here on Connect.

Keep an eye on #LocalGuidesConnect here on Connect and on social media to hear what folks are saying about this year’s event!

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
3,148 Comments
Level 8

Yes, this is my first time traveling to SF so there are still many things I've to use google to know how it could be done lol 

Level 10

@Badruddeen This statement makes difficulty for those couples among whom at least one is doctor. 😂

@Badruddeen wrote:

A laugh a day keeps the doctor away. :)))

Cheers

Level 10

I felt a mega strom @Vasudeo. 😉

Level 10

Thank you @JNGitau! I will 🙂

@JNGitau  escribió:

@ValeriaA_Congratulation and wish you all the best. Pass my regards when you arrive to the event.

Argentina | Follow me on Maps! | IG
Level 10

Thanks @KarenVChin! I like to have everything organized before the big event!

In my free time I will investigate about San Francisco and its touristic attractions 🙂 Any suggestions? I'm already making a list in Google Maps with some places that I find!!

@KarenVChin  escribió:

Woww @ValeriaA_! That was fast! Remember to pace yourself. = ) October is a long way from now!

What are you going to do with all your free time?! = ) Btw, I like your enthusiasm.

Cheers,

Karen

Level 9

@Shirley @TraciC @ValeriaAumasque @Nghia-Vo@KarenVChin Thanks all of you guys ,

Level 8
Level 7

How come there is not a Facebook Event for "Live" yet!? 🤔 Or is there one?

Hi Karen.

Thank a lot for Your patience.

I've received a second email from the Team for conferming.

Now i cannot give Google My passaport number until 1 of July.

In the form i need ti fill out also the passport number.

Is it correct that i can fill it out until the 17 of august?

Just ti understan properly 

Thank a lot

Gabriele

Gabriele D'Ambrosio
Former Google Contributor

Hello @PapisRODRIGUEZI just wanted to let you know that I merged your post to: Thank you for submitting your Connect Live application. Enjoy!

Level 9

You maybe right but if you followed @TraciC notes on the invitation, she stated that all 151 invites have been sent out 

Except of course you are waiting for a mail to confirm that you are not selected or hoping for a miracle @bdmafuz

For me, I am looking forward to applying again next year.... 

The most important thing is that there is always going to be another summit... 

Cheers! 

A-Beta
Connect Moderator

@GabrieleDAmbrosio, great to read that you officially registered online. Follow the instructions from the Travel Agency. They are there to help guide you with your ESTA process.  

Connect Moderator @ErmesT lives in Northern Italy and has gone through the process last year with the Travel Agency as it pertains to your country, Italy. He can contact you directly to help address your questions.

Cheers, 

Karen

Level 9

It's over now @BishowvijayaP, you should feel better now...

For the doctor, I think he would want you to keep the 🍎 away😁

A-Beta
Level 8

Congrats to everybody that got in!!!!

best luck for the rest of us next year 🙂

Level 10

Thank you @bdmafuz!! 🙂

@bdmafuz  escribió:

Congratulations @ValeriaA_

Level 7

Best of luck to everyone.

Hope fully the hard time has gone. Just 4 days left. 20th of June is a day of game changer. 

Everyone is waiting for the results across the world.

C ya @ Summit in Sans Fransico LA.

Long live Pakistan.

Muzzammil Hussain

Karachi.

Level 8

Thanks @brittym for the clarification. 

Much appreciated. There may be hope yet!

Level 9

i am laughing loudly @RobAo hahahahahaha  you make another great GIFs pots :)))))

@RobAo wrote:

New episode is out of the GIFt Series is out. This one took roughly 7hrs+ to produce. Episode 3 and 4 are in the pipeline considering how sudden the news came in, will figure something out for them based on this thread. For feedback, reply to the message or drop me a DM.

One of the hardest thing when making the GIFt series is noting the mood within the forum and trying to bring some laughter into the midst. Narrowing down 150 from 1000+ applicants isn't easy, hope this brightens up someone's day somewhere.

Delivered @brittym @OSAMA @SP31 @KarenVChin @ErmesT @HeyJoe

GIFt Series: Episode 2/4

(The following post series is inspired by an ongoing true story...depending on which angle one simply views it from. This post was created for humorous purposes especially in this heart racing moment towards Connect Live 2018. All GIFs have been optimised to save on mobile data users and sourced from giphy.com)

Episode List

Episode 1

Episode 2 (You're here)

Episode 3

Episode 4

While browsing through past and present application videos for inspiration and guidance on how to approach my clip, I noticed a few of the following persona's shining from their final product. These are the traits of video applications noted (some are a combo {and I'm guilty of a couple}):

1. The Perfectionist - Makes sure their application videos are excellent down to the picosecond.Just rightJust right

2. The Content Creator - The ones who have been collecting footage ever since they started out as Local Guides. Planned months ahead how their application video will be like. They basically know where a clip to be used at the 20 second mark is located. Almost 90% of the footage won't be used but in the words of the Scouts Motto, "Be Prepared!" and ready they are. My Application Video collection dating back to Oct. 2017My Application Video collection dating back to Oct. 20173. The Scripter - Similar trait with content creator. Comes up with a perfect script but evolves to try and make it to that 1 minute mark and sound like an Oscar winning clip. Final version is maybe 70% improvised content.

Evolving scripts can turn out to be greatEvolving scripts can turn out to be great4. The Time Has Come

LG Leads - "Summit Applications are open..." 

Applicant - *grabs the phone and starts to record*..."I got thisI got this

*A few hours after uploading*

Leads and Community reaction - 

Depends on how the reaction is viewedDepends on how the reaction is viewed(Editors Note: Engineer Pradeep's video impressed me so much, I had to review my application video. Simple setup, effective message {just my 2 cents})

5. The Statistician - Those hard earned points have to be accounted for. It isn't easy making it to Level 10 and for some, making it to Level 5 meant sleepless nights. 

80 photos...100 reviews...Level 9 by close of application...10 videos...80 photos...100 reviews...Level 9 by close of application...10 videos...

5. The MacGyver - They have neither the proper recording equipment nor the environment but manage to execute and deliver their video per requirements... sometimes missing one checkbox, but still, you have to hand it to their creativity.Murphy's Law: If it works...Murphy's Law: If it works...6. The Procrastinator - Depending on where one comes from, well known as the Timer. GIF tells it all:
LastMinute_full.gif

LG Leads - "2 days to close of Connect Live Applications."Pretty sure 90% of applicants did thisPretty sure 90% of applicants did this

Applicant - "10 minutes to deadline and application is incomplete."What have I done?What have I done?7. The Rule Breaker -

LG Leads - "The following are the rules for your application video..."

Applicant 1 -

"I'm just going to make a video and roll with it...""I'm just going to make a video and roll with it..."Applicant 2 - "This is the best I could achieve. It's 1 minute 4 seconds. Can't shave it off any more. I tried so hard, and got so far, guess with the deadline..."

"...it doesn't even matter" ~Chester Beddington"...it doesn't even matter" ~Chester Beddington

8. The Future - We've all been there at some point in our life. Didn't know what was going on until announcement that it's over.All right. Applications are o....oh.All right. Applications are o....oh.If you're in this spot, either video wasn't submitted on time, forgot the application date, or just joined recently, your efforts are not in vain:We, the community, see you, hard working LG.We, the community, see you, hard working LG.Alexander Ovechkin led the Washington Capitals to their first Stanley Cup win in the teams 44 year history. 9 times they qualified for the playoffs and lost. On the 10th, they made it all the way to lifting that dream trophy: 

Persistence and dedication paysPersistence and dedication pays(Just don't give up yet. Step it up a notch higher. You got this.)

Special Mention

9. Sharing is caring - Two local guides. Married. One goal: get to the Summit through a shared story. Did they apply with the same video or is there another version out there? Did both of them make it? (Ghea & Hanif)

Same or different?Same or different?*************

Level 8

I am just posting a reply from me to NghiaV regarding his USA visa questions. (In case someone else have doubt) cc:  @راضي 

Hi @NghiaV

First of all Congratulations. 👏👏👏👏👏

You said:- 

I'm filling the register to Live Connect 2018 form and there are some sections I have no idea how to fill in

+ Can I just leave it blank for sections with "This is not guaranteed" like Preferred airline? 

Yes, If you prefer a specific airline just write that airline name

+ If not, what should I fill in the "Airline frequent flyer number" , "Known traveler number" , "Global Entry number" ?

1. If you have a frequent flyer number enter that 
  2. A Known Traveler Number (KTN), also called a Trusted Traveler Number, is a number issued by the US Transportation Security Administration 
  3. Global Entry Number

+ I will need visa in order to flight to CA for sure, but how do I know I will need ESTA to attend the event or not? I'm from Vietnam

Electronic System For Travel Authorisation (ESTA)  Vietnam is not a Visa Waiver Program country.

+ About the "Embassy name and address", I will enter the name and address of U.S Embassy in my country, right?

Yes

Really sorry if I asked stupid questions, but this is the first time I go to U.S so...

Not a problem at all. I am happy to help you. 🙂

Cheers and have a great Connect Live 2018 - Good Luck with your Visa.

@Nghia-Vo Please direct all visa-related or logistics questions directly to the Connect Live Travel Team rather than in this thread. Also make sure you read the FAQs on the registration page as some of your questions may be answered there. 

@MIHashimi @JedR @Sanjay_viswa @AIMAN_SAEED @راضي @Juvienai please direct all questions regarding visas, ESTAs, and/or travel logistics directly to the Connect Live travel team rather than here on Connect. Also make sure you review the FAQs on the registration site as some of your questions are answered there. Our travel team is happy to help you via email.

Level 7

Find the FAQ for travel related questions here: https://events.withgoogle.com/connect-live-2018/faqs/

Level 9

@brittym,

Gotcha! Thanks for the info. I'm already communicating with them via email. 

Cheers,

Jed

Level 9

Thanks @JensMG

For sharing 👌👍

Level 6

Hi guys this is Alicia and I'm from Monterrey Mexico well i'm so excited about this month in 5 days We'll know who will be invited to the summit 

I don't know if I will be chosen but only with the fact that I participated is thrilling well guys I wish you best luck to all of you let me know if you were chosen .. 

on the 20th 

Level 10

@AlisRdz Just wishing you all the best.. nothing is completely certain until the 20th, however, just to let you know that all selected participants (the 151) has already been sent their invite emails according to Traci's main post. So if we have not got any invites until now through email, and everyone who was already selected registered in time... then, the rest will not be selected. 🙂 

So all the best for us next year. 🙂

If you don't know by now then you're not going they already sent out the acceptance ones they're probably just going to send out the ones that didn't make it on the 20th

Level 9

Hey @AlisRdz:

@StephenAbraham is correct. Have a look at the update on this post.

There could still be a lot of changes, but keep your eyes out on Connect for all updates.

I'll be merging your thread to the mega post to keep the discussion together.

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 9

Hey @saldivartwindad:

Yes, as per the update on this post, 151 selected attendees have been informed already.

Keep your eyes on Connect for any updates. I'll be merging your post to the mega thread to keep the discussion together. Thanks! 🙂

Please post publicly so others can benefit as well. I do not have private messages. Thanks!
Level 7

@AlisRdz Ke ondaaaa regiaaaa!!!

Pues yo soy de la nueva CDMX, espero verte en San Francisco!!!

Abrazos y besos y la mejor de las suertes!!!!

😂🌵🌸😃🌼🐵🐶🌼😋🗻💜💚🌻🌼🌼

Level 7

@saldivartwindad Just Be patietence because there are people that can be invited after selection, just hold!

💚🌵😃💜🌸🎵😂💓💛😃☺🙆🐱

Level 7

Hi.  Does all selected guides have been informed already and those who haven't received an email are the one left behind.. 😞

Peace and Love
Level 10

its time to enjoy world cup football @AnitaAO. I see you still in the same issue. 😂

@AnitaAO wrote:

It's over now @BishowvijayaP, you should feel better now..

Level 7

Hi TraciC,

Tnx for the update. 

Fingers crossed till 20th.

Congratulations & Best wishes to all selected 151.

Wish the event every success!

Awaiting for my luck to favor me!

Kind regards,

Shiva

Level 7

The  left behinds can try next year. Hoping my luck favors me next year

Level 7

So what is the subject line from Google?  so we can pay attention to... 

Tina HUANG
Connect Moderator

@tinhuang You should look out for an email with the subject line 'Thousands applied—and you made the cut.'

Level 6

@tinhuangThat is a very nice question and trust the answer given by our friend @iyudhi is the collect answer. let me check my inbox first to see whether I will see what I am looking for. 

Level 6

@HeyJoe could you share the link to your application video so that we can relate to it next year. We didn't make it unfortunately 

Level 7

Thank you for the update 😊  Congratulations to all the chosen ones, you will have an amazing time! I would be lying if I said I’m not jealous 😜 And the best of luck to the rest of us with the applications next year 🙏 I will start planning mine now, haha. 😏🤓

Level 8

@Julien44 no not me its pretty much 

I'm not selected 

@Julien44 wrote:

@DavidTito Thanks for your words. Best of luck for you

See you

Jul

Level 10

@Alloycemyn wrote:

@HeyJoe could you share the link to your application video so that we can relate to it next year. We didn't make it unfortunately 

Have a look to my  collection of video applications to be inspired! I'm sure many great selected LGs are in!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4bbBA4hTt-HabtZtuysU2E4ple_QXsly

Level 10

@LucioV

Very happy to watch application video of LG's all over the world.

Thanks for sharing.

@LucioV wrote:

@Alloycemyn wrote:

@HeyJoecould you share the link to your application video so that we can relate to it next year. We didn't make it unfortunately 

Have a look to my  collection of video applications to be inspired! I'm sure many great selected LGs are in!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4bbBA4hTt-HabtZtuysU2E4ple_QXsly

BM63
Level 10

@SHIVA-KASHI

Hope you will be in.

We have to wait until 20th.

Thanks.

@SHIVA-KASHI wrote:

Hi TraciC,

Tnx for the update. 

Fingers crossed till 20th.

Congratulations & Best wishes to all selected 151.

Wish the event every success!

Awaiting for my luck to favor me!

Kind regards,

Shiva

BM63
Level 7

Thanks, @iyudhi That heading certainly will grab our attention!!!

Tina HUANG
Level 10

@wecter

True said.

Everybody remaining should have somewhat jealous for not being selected.

But it's part of life.

Better luck next time.

@wecter wrote:

Thank you for the update 😊  Congratulations to all the chosen ones, you will have an amazing time! I would be lying if I said I’m not jealous 😜 And the best of luck to the rest of us with the applications next year 🙏 I will start planning mine now, haha. 😏🤓

BM63
Level 8

Best wishes to all...

Waiting period is going to end.

Every one is hopes to attend this year's big event.

Waiting for your email.

Thanks.

Regards.

Level 10

@srzstha45

That's the spirit. Good said.

@srzstha45 wrote:

The  left behinds can try next year. Hoping my luck favors me next year

BM63
Level 10

@AlisRdz

Wish u all d best and hope so until 20th.

@AlisRdz wrote:

Hi guys this is Alicia and I'm from Monterrey Mexico well i'm so excited about this month in 5 days We'll know who will be invited to the summit 

I don't know if I will be chosen but only with the fact that I participated is thrilling well guys I wish you best luck to all of you let me know if you were chosen .. 

on the 20th 

BM63
Level 8

Hi @AlisRdz

Nice written.

I made from your words mine's also.

Yours,

Ricardo

Ricardo Costa Val do Rosário