StephenAbraham's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Thaipusam festival at Batu Caves Malaysia January 2019

Malaysia is a country where people of many races and faiths, live in peaceful harmony. With diverse cultures, comes many celebrations and festivals. One very important festival that is observed by Hindus in Malaysia, as well as participated in by many others of different faiths, is Thaipusam. This festival is also a very big attraction for tourists and visitors alike.

Thaipusam is a Hindu religious festival celebrated sometime in January or early February, which is during the Thai month of the Hindu calendar, during the time of the full moon. This religious festival is a time for repentance, and remembrance of Lord Murugan, and is said to of celebration when Lord Murugan received the spear (vel) to defeat the evil forces. For Hindus in Malaysia, it's a time for gratefulness, and for the rest of us, it's a time to join in this wonderful celebration with our Hindu brothers and sisters.

Thaipusam's celebration in Malaysia centers around a few main temples across the country. The main location where most pilgrims come for prayers is at Batu Caves in Selangor (Maps location: https://goo.gl/maps/hFBxqXo3fC22). The main temple in the natural limestone caves can be accessed by walking up 272 steps and is considered a pilgrims penance and sacrifice to experience hardship during the pilgrimage from afar. Hence Batu Caves is one of the main locations for this occasion. This year in 2019, Thaipusam falls on 21st Jan 2019. And starts at the weekend preceding the day itself.

Local Guides in Malaysia organized a meet-up on the 19th of Jan 2019 to join-in, participate and experience this festival on the weekend before the actual main day of Thaipusam. As with the previous years, total visitors can reach up to almost half a million people throughout the few days. The plan was to arrive at Batu Caves via the KTM Komuter train, whom this year had provided 24 hour train service for 4 straight days for the festival. The train ride was very comfortable and fast and soon enough, we had arrived at Batu Caves. [Photo below]

A quick 5 minute walk from the train station to the main entrance gave us the opportunity to walk past many flower stalls selling garlands, string of jasmine flowers and the wonderful natural sweet aroma of the colorful flowers. Many devotees would purchase garlands as a offering during their prayers. [Photo below]

Thaipusam is a celebration of repentance, penance, sacrifice, gratitude and thankfulness. Pilgrims come from all over the country and the world. For younger and female devotees, many would carry a pot filled with milk (paal kudam) carried on their heads as they carry them up to the Batu Caves temple. For more able pilgrims, some would carry a semi arched decorated kavadi (meaning burden), as they make their way to the temple. Many carrying their kavadi will engage in some form of dance with some music as part of their offering for this festival. Some devotees take this a step further with enduring physical pain by hanging weights or fruits via hooks from their body or pulling a chariot again via ropes tied to hooks on their bodies. And some have small spears (vels) pushed through their cheeks or tongues as a sacrifice of no speech during this time. [Photo below]

We had taken time to stand at the side to not disturb pilgrims as we observe and appreciate this festival and shooting photos where not intrusive to the pilgrims. As we met up on the Saturday evening, the crowds have not yet started, so it was easier for us as well. Part of the festivities, there are hundreds of makeshift stalls set up selling religious and non-religious articles, clothes, food and souvenirs. It was also a good opportunity to walk and visit all the stalls. [Photo below]

It was a wonderful experience to be here with all the pilgrims and to experience a part of Malaysian Hindu culture. This year, we had missed the night procession of the golden chariot from the main temple in Kuala Lumpur to Batu Caves, and hopefully next year, we will be more prepared for that.

A short video summary of the Thaipusam meet-up in Batu Caves. This is definitely a good festival to join in when one has the opportunity. A must visit recommendation by Malaysia Local Guides.

*All photos and videos are self captured.

Our meet-up event page: https://maps.google.com/localguides/meetup/thaipusam-festival-photowalk

Batu Caves, Selangor, Malaysia
19 comments
Level 9

Re: Thaipusam festival at Batu Caves Malaysia January 2019

Hello @StephenAbraham

What a perfect video!

I felt national unique spirit and culture of people in Malaysia.The photos are so colorful ,beautiful and interesting. 

I like photos of garlands of jasmine flowers.I can imagine how sweet aroma they have!

Thank you very much @StephenAbraham for your wonderful post about your nice expierence at this festival.

Level 8

Really nice and very well captured

Syed Nabeel Hassan Tirmazi
Level 6

@StephenAbraham Thank you for sharing this. I hope to visit this celebration some day.  Amazing photos and nice video.

Level 10

@StephenAbraham

Hi Stephen

Brilliant review of Thaipusam Festival at Batu Cave along with pictures.

I been there few years back and it's truly divine. Penance such as tongue & Stomach piercing is truly God's gift.

Thanks for sharing with us.👍

Regards

aaryesdee

R S Dev
Level 9

Hello @StephenAbraham,

Thank for your beautiful recap photos. All the photos are amazingly nice and colourful. Your recap helped me to learn more about Malaysia and photos gave a vivid idea about cultures and tradition.

Level 10

Valuable & Colorful shots, my dear friend @StephenAbraham,

I too shall contribute  shortly .. 

I still remember my visit .. 

Thanks 

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 8

Selamat menyambut Hari Thaipusam.

large (4).jpg

Perayaan ini kaya dengan makna kerohanian sebagai sambutan kejayaan kemenangan kebaikan membanteras kebatilan. Kemuncak perayaan adalah mengingati detik Dewi Parvati mengurniakan tombak Vel kepada Dewa Murugan untuk menumpaskan Surapadma yang jahat.

Semangat perjuangan menumpaskan kejahatan dan keangkuhan ini dikongsi oleh seluruh umat manusia. Justeru itu kita menghormati sahabat handai kita yang menyambut Thaipusam sebagai hari peribadatan dan penyucian diri.

Semoga sambutan Thaipusam ini meningkatkan azam kita untuk membanteras kejahatan dan keangkuhan dalam segala bentuknya dan di mana sahaja ia berada.

Saya mengucapkan Selamat Menyabut Hari Thaipusam kepada semua yang meraikannya.

Proud to be a Local Guide.
Former Google Contributor

Hey @StephenAbraham,

Wow, this is awesome! Thank you for sharing this with us. The colors are so vibrant! 🙂 I'm glad to read the festival is celebrated by a diverse culture of people, regardless of religious views. 

I would love to visit the festival one day. To be grateful is so important. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Former Google Contributor

Re: Selamat menyambut Hari Thaipusam.

Happy celebration to you @PavelSarwar,

Thank you for sharing it with us! I didn't know about it. This place looks amazing, my parents visited it two years ago and have similar photos. The statues is so grand and fascinating! Did you go all the way up the stairs? 

How do you celebrate this day? 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!