TravellerG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Temples of India - Vadakkumnathan (Post1/2) - TravellerG

Here we are discussing about a ‘Temple’ & the ‘Festival of Festivals’ of Kerala. There are no great sculptures in these two posts (photography is prohibited, inside the temple); but, these photos along with the descriptions will make you happy, I hope.

No: 1. The Decorated Gaja Rajas (Elephant Kings)

1. Vadakkumnathan Temple [in this post] and
  2. Thrissur Pooram (The festival of festivals)… [in the next post]

Vadakkumnathan (Lord Shiva Temple), an architectural marvel in wood and stone, is one of the oldest temples in the Kerala. This, centuries-old temple is a classic example of Kerala's rich architectural and cultural heritage. An enormous stone wall encloses the temple (9 acres). There are four Gopurams (facing each direction). This is a multi-shrine complex. The outer walls of the shrines have beautiful mural paintings (more Kathakali based)– the scenes from the epic, ‘Mahabharata’.  A refreshing walk in the compound will fill your heart with architectural beauty, heritage, culture and history. A temple which was not only touched/attacked by Tippu Sultan, but which also received a gift of ‘big lamp’ from him!

No: 2. The decoration during the Pooram

The recent ‘Award of Excellence’ from UNESCO, was the result of the dedicated work, by a team of archaeologists, craftsmen and others who restored the temple to its original state, in a span of 10 years.

Breif:

Lord Parashurama (sixth Avatar of Lord Vishnu) hurled his axe (weapon) into the sea and created a new land (present Kerala). To consecrate this new land, he went to Kailasam (Himalaya), the abode of Lord Shiva and requested him to come to Kerala. Lord Shiva came down with Goddesses Parvati, along with their sons, Lord Ganesha and Lord Subrahmanya. They stopped at a spot, (present Thrissur), and later disappeared leaving a bright and radiant ‘Siva Linga’, which was later installed in this famous temple as the main deity. Presently, this deity (statue) is covered with Ghee and is only visible as a heap of ghee.

All the shots are from outside the temple; in the next post we shall see the Thrissur Pooram.

No: 3. The front view of the Temple - Pl note the Roof & Artwork on the Walls

No: 4. The Tall Kal-Vilakku (Lamp Post) getting light by a devotee

No: 5. The Decoration of the Deity, hung in the front of the Ghee heap.

(Photo taken from Festival Brochure - [Sorry for the poor resolution])

No: 6. Elephant coming out of the temple.

No: 7. Temple getting ready for Pooram

No: 8. The Temple front view, before Pooram

No: 9. The Gaja Rajas taking rest before Pooram

No:10. View of the Temple from outside

Note: Here, Non-Hindus are not permitted inside the temple; but Pooram is conducted with the support of people from all religions, outside.

@BorrisS @MortenSI @Ravi_kant @KimberlyAnnG @AbdullahAM @YasumiKikuchi @GhazalaShah @MgTT @AntonellaGr @IshantHP_ig 

Vadakkunnathan Shiva Temple, Swaraj Round North, Kuruppam, Thekkinkadu Maidan, Thrissur, Kerala, India
24 comments
Level 9

Re: Temples of India - Vadakkumnathan (Post1/2) - TravellerG

Thank you  @TravellerG @for very intetesting post -"Temples of India and Festval of Festivals.

Your photos are always amazing!

Level 10

Thanks for introducing the temple @TravellerG 

For me the temple in India is still an unknown world🏯. But it seems obvious that it is quite different from the culture of the Japanese temple🤔.

It's a superb electric temple! I have seen a temple in Taiwan being decorated. Do you think that the meaning is the same as that?

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Level 10

So kind of you - your immediate & positive respond is inspiring to me, Thank you very much @helga19. Kindly see the next post about the Pooram too, please.

Level 9

Beautiful photos @TravellerG 

Your photos are very professional and high quality. 

Thank you for sharing with us.

Level 10

Thank you dear friend @YasumiKikuchi, From this series, I hope you will get some idea...

The electrification / decoration is only during the festival, which is explained in the NEXT POST - 'Pooram' - hope this will answer your question?

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dot.: Temples of India - Vadakkumnathan (Post1/2) - TravellerG

Dziękuję @TravellerG za kolejną porcję niesamowitego piękna! Dla mnie, wychowanej wśród gotyckich murów świątyń i surowości boga, przekaz religii hinduizmu, pełen kolorów i bogactwa architektonicznego to po prostu egzotyka.Czekam na festiwal 😊

Pozdrawiam, miłego dnia Danuta

Former Google Contributor

Hello @TravellerG,

I was expecting this post, thank you for tagging me. As we said before, this temple doesn't really look like the rest. Personally, to me, its roof looks more Chinese than Indian. I enjoyed reading the post with the details and the photos are simply amazing, as usual. 

I love very much all kind of mythology, and the fact that you have included a piece of the Hindu one while speaking about the temple made me very happy, I learned many new things  - thank you. 🙂

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator Thank you!

Level 10

Liked the post very much, thanks

@TravellerG 😊. Pictures depict the ambience and people around the temple. Two elephants standing apart & relaxeing with out decorative gears is a beautiful photo. 

Former Google Contributor

Hi @TravellerG,

I really liked the photos with the elephants! They look really festive and colourful dressed like this.

Thanks you for taking your time to tell us more about this festival and your culture!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!