TravellerG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Temples of India - Thrissur POORAM - The Festival of Festivals! (Post-2/2) - TravellerG

..Thrissur POORAM - The Festival of Festivals! ..

[Note: The first post of Vadakkumnathan Temple is Here  (Post 1/2)]

Thrissur Pooram, ‘The Festival of Festivals’ (of Kerala), is a 200 years old tradition. Raja Rama Varma (Sakthan Thampuran) conceived the whole event in detail, which is still followed. During this seven day festival (in April-May), Raja wanted everyone to be a part of this festival. This spectacular event is viewed by Hundreds of Thousands of people from all over the country and all over the world.

In simple words, the pooram festival is a healthy competition between two groups – ie. Paramekkavu Temple and Thiruvambadi Temple (along with eight other temples). The major competitions will be:

1. A majestic procession lead by many ceremonially dressed elephants:

No: 2

No: 3

No: 4

About hundred magnificently caparisoned elephants (decorated with gold plated caparisons, umbrellas with different colours, 'Alavattam & Venchamaram’, accompanied by the traditional Temple Orchestra (Panchavadyam) give company to thousands of viewers.

No: 5

Thrilling & hypnotizing effect of the Panchavadyam throws you into a different world; Thousands of people keep shaking their hands to the rhythm, making the artists spirited. I seriously suggest viewing short YouTube videos. (Search: “Thrissur Pooram Panchavadyam” or  “Thrissur Pooram Chenda Melam”).

No: 5.

Instant changing of ‘Umbrellas’ (parasols) with different colours, above the elephants, known as Kutamattom is still a unique part of this festival; really exciting views – here too I will suggest you to have a glance at any of the YouTube videos of “Thrissur Pooram Kutamattom”.

1. The colorful & exciting Fire-Works.

During the festival, besides minor fireworks, there are two main fire work sessions. The fire work known as sample firework is on the 4th day of the festival and the Major Fire work is on the sixth day and will last for hours.

No: 7

No: 8

No: 9

No: 10

(Note: Sorry, due to uncontrollable/heavy rush, the Tripod shakes were unavoidable; kindly pardon me)

During both these events, Paramekkavu and Thiruvambadi teams will exhibit their varieties & novelties (skills) in competition, enthralling the audience – really breath taking views - No Photo/Video can explain the spirit over there.

This is an excellent occasion to enjoy the traditional & warm Malayalee hospitality and to feel the heritage value of 'The Cultural Capital of Kerala’. All are welcome.

Dear @BorrisS@DeniGu  @PoliMC  @zhaolinhan @GhazalaShah @Mavlesagan @Alena_Smile_Phuket @aaryesdee @bassey @Santanu_Saha_01 & LG members - Your thoughts will be valuable to me.

PS:

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Vadakkunnathan Shiva Temple, Swaraj Round North, Kuruppam, Thekkinkadu Maidan, Thrissur, Kerala, India
30 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Temples of India - Thrissur POORAM - The Festival of Festivals! (Post-2/2) - TravellerG

Hello @TravellerG,

Thank you for sharing this great moment with us, the fireworks, the decoration, the costumes everything seems so beautiful. It really makes you wanna be there!

Personally, I appreciated very much the fact that you provided us with all these details, and even explaining on one of the photos what is what exactly, I'm really grateful for that. 🙂

Due to the high volume of private messages, Google Moderators do not read or respond to them. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator Thank you!

Re: Temples of India - Thrissur POORAM - The Festival of Festivals! (Post-2/2) - TravellerG

Hi @TravellerG,

Thanks for the tag and for the nice post!

You added so much description which is great and the photos are amazing as well. The festival is very interesting for me because it's completely different culture from mine. Your posts give us a lot of information about the culture which is just great!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

It is an exciting photo @TravellerG 

A fireworks strikes the illuminated temple This extraordinary color makes me feel excited! I would like to ask the music of luxury elephant event. What kind of hypnosis will we take? Is there a movie?

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Level 10

Another woohoo post dear @TravellerG 🥳🔱. Photo #8, 4 & 2 are my most favorite. I am a big fan of festivities and cerlebrative culture of this great land. Marvelous 🙌🙏👏🏼👌🐄🐘🐒🦚🐍🐢🐚

Level 10

@TravellerG 

WoW! What a great edit on Trissur Pooram.

The pictures, illustration makes it very interesting.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Regards

aaryesdee

R S Dev
Level 10

Welcome dear @BorrisS - while I understand that there are very few readers (that too casual) in this forum, I am contributing just because of you few people.

Thanks

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

I was awaiting this post @TravellerG, thank you!

The second part of your post and the second part of this amazing story was as interesting as the first one. I still can't get over how beautiful those elephants are!

Just to let you know I have relabelled both of your posts to Local Stories, as the festival of festivals really fit well under that topic.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

You are welcome dear @PoliMC.

"...it's completely different culture..." even in India, this is a unique festival!

Level 10

Happy theat you enjoyed the post, dear @YasumiKikuchi:

"... the music of luxury elephant event. What kind of hypnosis ..." let me try to give you a glimpse of 'it', in a short video, shortly.

Thanks for your inspiring words.