ogewuru's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Tantalizing Taste of Termites

Termite2.jpg

Winged termites are common sights in the eastern part of Nigeria during rainy season. As children we use to keep big bowls of water near fluorescent lights at night to trap these termites because they love light so much that the brighter the light, the more they will be. Once they swarm towards the light we use palm brooms to beat them into the water thereby demobilizing them. They are de-winged, cleaned and roasted with dry frying pan. Food is ready.

termite1.jpg

The sight of fried winged termite today at MCC by Wetheral junction Owerri, was a reminiscent of my childhood days. I saw 'aku ebe' as it is called in the east on display,  garnished with onions and pepper. Trust me opportunities like this can't passed me by, I just have to get a bite. Tasting the tantalizing fried termite made my day, even though is now expensive, small tin tomatoes cup goes for a hundred naira.

@Austinelewex  it seems you will like it

@Onukakalu have you seen it in your area ?

@ChinonsoOnukwugha do you have extra garnishing material for it ?

@UchechukwuEnem have you tasted it before ?

Owerri, Nigeria
31 comments
Level 9

Re: Tantalizing Taste of Termites

Hahaha @ogewuru  How the hell do you know? I love it!!!.

It has been long I ate it still.😋

You're lucky to find it in your locality. Hope it is freshly prepared. It tastes best that way, very succulent and nutritious. 😂

I will love to tag some Local Guides this may surprise. 😂🤣 @OlgaKlimchik @Ant_Bad_Yogi @mockata2 @Izumi @NkemNwobu @Nyainurjanah @Designer_Biswajit @Muhammad_Usman @Robert24 

Do you have Insects that is Edible In your country?😋

Best regards 

Former Google Contributor

Hi @ogewuru,

I am grateful how colorful and diverse our community is. Here you may find so different and even challenging variations of various cultures and tastes. 

I have never eaten termites, actually I have never seen such. And if I have to be completely honest, I am not sure I would try such 🙂 I am sorry :). But I am curious to see what other fellow Local Guides think about your region's specialty.

By the way, the first photo of your post does not appear to be your own and is in violation of the Local Guides program rules. I would like to ask you to edit your post and replace it with an image that you have taken your self or have a permission to use. For tips on creating your own great posts on Connect, please see this post.

Also, please take a look at the How do I follow the original content guidelines on Connect? post to keep your contributions within the guidelines.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 7

Tasty post 🤤,i love it termites with pepper and oinons.we also eat fried crickets in Cameroon 

Level 8

@Austinelewex 

Scream!😱🙈💦 I'm sorry, I'm not good at eating insects. But my mother's generation likes to eat sweet and salty locusts and hornet larvae.🦗🐝 When I was a kid, my uncle had brought a hornet's nest.

By the way, Japanese termites are small and nest in wooden houses and break them, so people dislike them. There are also professional exterminators.👷🔎

Level 10

@ogewuru ...🤔 It's difficult for me to say if I would try them or I will afraid and avoid. I don't know....but...as a woman who cook food for the family I have a question which disturbs me: how long does it take to tear off all wings from all those pile of termites 😳?

Level 9

Hahaha @OlgaKlimchik 

Their wings are not strong. When it falls down, the wings falloff with it. 

Hello @OlgaKlimchik and @Izumi  they are called Macrotermes bellicosus . You can read more about it from the link I shared.

Hey @FalguniP do you know about this insect. 

Level 10

@Austinelewex Have I caught it right: the wings fall off themselves when termit falls into water?

Maybe termites are fried themselves also? If so, it would be the best dish for me 😉

Level 9

Hahaha... @OlgaKlimchik  

You should try it whenever you see it. Remember the adage "if you go to Rome, behave like Romans".

Best regards. 

Level 10

@Austinelewex I am not sure I will go so far somewhen. But ok, I will remember your advice 😉.