IlankovanT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Taking Google Maps towards Rural- Creating 21st century leaders

When compared to those living in cities, a great digital divide exists in and around the place where I live. As part of my attempt of taking Google maps towards rural areas, I thought of embracing school students with technology this time. I used to shout out about this fact many times to my colleagues, this time I got a like-minded person onboard, it's none other than, @Kajan746 

Taking Google maps towards rural- Creating 21st century leadersTaking Google maps towards rural- Creating 21st century leaders
I surfed through many rural schools before coming up with this activity and I identified that there is an extreme scarcity than what I expected. Then after I decided to use Google as a platform to take technology towards rural students. Since Google has it all in it like educational tools, professionals tools, science and more, I  decided that Google will be the best suit for my need.

The lesson learned from my last meet up with kids was, I realized that there is a very positive urge among students to learn about technology and it's new trends. At the same time there exists a severe scarcity for resources who can teach them those. As a volunteer local guide who strives to empower grassroots through technology, I felt like it's my complete responsibility to get down and do this for my community. 

I got ready in the morning and took some small gifts which I have bought earlier from Google store. Assuming that these will give a little surprise for them. When I woke up in the morning and checked my phone, I have received a message from Ceylon Electricity Board stating that there will be a power cut for the whole day in that area where the school is located. I was shocked, but still, I never gave up. Came with an idea to hire a generator for the school for the day. One of my friends gave me the contact of a place where we could hire a generator and my wife helped me to transport this from that place to the school. 

My new friendsMy new friends

Preparing for Knowledge sharing sessionPreparing for Knowledge sharing session
When we reached the school, as expected, the power failure was on, so we put up the generator and started the workshop. The principal of the school was excited to see the commitment and they were overwhelmed by joy. They helped us with getting the power connected. However, the power resumed after a short while. 
At the beginning, the principal gave an introduction about us to the kids and they let them start the session.

I first showed them all the gadgets that I took with them namely my VR card board, Google home, 360 helmet, and 360 camera. They were all excited to experience them and then I followed up explaining about some essential Google online tools for them like Google docs, sheets, forms and etc. Then I began explaining them about the Google maps.

Explaining about Google MapExplaining about Google Map
When I first asked them to show the location of their homes, almost everyone could do that. 
Then I taught them about the categories of the maps and they started asking questions, and I gave them explanations too.

Street view sessionStreet view session
Then Kajan started explaining the street view. He started asking them if you're going to the capital city of Sri Lanka, how do you do that?
Then he explained them the possibility of reaching every place on earth virtually through the maps and street view. As examples, he showed them the London bridge, Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal. They were all surprised and excited. Some of them then started asking show me this place and that place. Without getting tired, Kajan explained them all. 

Then I showed them about how a 360 tour is made, I showed them my previous experiences of collecting 360s through the Kallady bridge as well as my tour through the lagoon. Now they know if they see some blue line on the roads of a map, it's a 360. 
Showing some of my SV worksShowing some of my SV works
Then they asked me how a 360 camera works, when I showed them one enthusiast among the crowd wanted to give it a try. Without refusing, I gave him a chance to experience it. Then he went around and covered a little area within the school premises. 
School Kid with 360 camera :)School Kid with 360 camera 🙂
Then I explained some general aspects of Google maps and then myself and Kajan started asking them simple questions, for those who gave the right answers we gifted few items which I bought from Google store last year.

Gifts for Kids and PrincipalGifts for Kids and PrincipalThey were all excited. Not only the students, the feed back given by the school principal gave tears on my eyes. They were so happy and told nobody ever have done this kind of technological sessions free for them.
This boosted my passion to do more to the community. We might have spent this holiday going out or to a cinema. But this social activity gave us an increased level of satisfaction. After completing the session, we decided to plant some trees as usual.

Kid planting a treeKid planting a treeTree from Let's Map GreenTree from Let's Map GreenIt was a fruit tree this time. I told them to take care the tree until I get back to them with another session. This is not the end but a beginning I told, hope they'll be eagerly waiting for another session from local guide volunteers.
@InaS  here is my RECAP 🙂 hope you will like this. @TraciC  thank you for making the educational presentation template, it helped me a lot and this is one of my best and successful meetup 🙂

More Photos please check this album
Batticaloa, Sri Lanka
15 comments
Level 9

Re: Taking Google Maps towards Rural- Creating 21st century leaders

Awesome @IlankovanT ,

I think this is the first ever such meet-up hosted by a local guide till date. I'm surprised to see you managed to share knowledge with school kids. It is true that you're a meet-up legend. 

Thank you very much for sharing .

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Connect Moderator

Hello @IlankovanT 

What a fantastic and informative meetup that is, really inspiring.

And as you know, I always admired your work, and trying to copy and applying it in my country. Because I believe that spreading information about new technologies from grass root level is the best way to make them ready for new challenges of thier future.

I really appreciate and love your efforts, which you are doing for New generation of your country.

And I hope I can learn and do some thing like that soon with you in your city.

Nandri and Shukriya bro 🙏

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Former Google Contributor

Hi @IlankovanT,

This was a great read, thanks for sharing!

This is very different from the meet-ups we usually see and I really liked it. You spent a whole day trying to teach others about Google Maps, and it is clear you put in your best effort.

I'm happy to see that they were so eager to experience 360 shooting first hand, and I'm sure all of these kids will be great Local Guides.

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge with the next generation!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Googler

Hi @IlankovanT . Like many of your posts, this brought a huge smile to my face! I think it's so great that you brought this kind of information to a local school and shared with the kids how they can explore the world beyond their area without leaving their school! I am so glad you were able to do this and wow, did you have challenges with the power going out, but you persisted. I'm sure even without power, you talking about all the great things you've done with Google Maps and planting trees would have been a hit anyway. Thank you for sharing and let's hope they all join us when they're old enough in being Local Guides. 🙂

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 9

Thank you for the kind words @deepakjhic@KashifMisidia  🙂
I love educating kids, especially in rural areas. they re really awesome 🙂

Level 9

Thank you so much @TraciC  for appreciating. this gave me a boost to host more similar meetups 🙂

Big Hug to you 🙂 🙂

These kids are super active to learn new technologies and unfortunately there are few people only traveling to rural places to educate them in Sri Lanka.

Now I have created a map for Rural villages and named this volunteer work as "Google Map Marathon for Rural Villages" (GMMRV) and created a route map to travel and educate them every month 🙂 🙂

Google Map Marathon for Rural Villages - (GMMRV)

Level 9

Thank you so much @MortenSI  for your kind words.  I love educating people especially the young people who live in rural villages 🙂 🙂 
I have planned to host 10 meetups this year (remaining 10 months for 2019) with my scheduled meetups such as accessibility meetup, Photowalk, support LGCW meetups @ErmesT  @KarenVChin, tree panting with Geo walk etc 🙂

Former Google Contributor

I'm so glad you're taking the initiative to go to these areas and teach the youth about Google Maps @IlankovanT, that really is a great step forward. 

I can't wait to see each and every one of these ten meet-ups you've got planned for the coming time. I'm sure they will all be great!

You definitely have my support!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Google Vendor

I read all the post with a big smile in my face @IlankovanT. You are an example for other Local Guides. After all the difficulties you faced you continued and made it all happen.

Thank you for all your contributions to the community. Hope to see more great Meet-ups organized by you.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!