AIMAN_SAEED's post
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Level 8

TEDxIslamabad Women 2018 - Showing Up πŸ™‹ ♀

"Women are agents of change, we are drivers of progress, we are makers of peace all we need Is a fighting chance" Hilary Clinton

1st December, 2018 marks an important day in my life! Today, I co-organised one of the most inspiring event of my city by the name of TEDxIslamabad Women 2018, along with my team.

47225231_352760135528099_4792002059912085504_n.jpg

This event was all about WOMEN and how WOMEN are the real changemakers and doers of our nation. This was an event - first of its kind in which - total of 6 women speakers talked and shared their journey of life, their work, their story, what inspires them, what makes them happy and most importantly what role they are playing in enabling women in of their society?

This event reminded me how @PriyankaU suggested the idea of Empowered Women Meetup. Priyanka though it was not a Local Guide focused event or meetup but I would like to tell you that my team and I were planning this for quite some time under TEDxIslamabad to organise women led event πŸ™‚ My team and I selected 6 amazing females for speaker session and also made sure that maximum women and girls can attend this event - total 300 people participated and guess what 240 were females ^_^ 

Here are some of the pictures 
Screenshot 2018-12-01 at 9.24.51 PM.png

A speaker inspiring the audience with her talk on the importance of being kind and talking about Mental HealthA speaker inspiring the audience with her talk on the importance of being kind and talking about Mental HealthA female police officer of Pakistan sharing her journey - how her father and family supported her in her Police WorkA female police officer of Pakistan sharing her journey - how her father and family supported her in her Police WorkI along with my team sharing a picture with Eva - who is a very cool and popular female vlogger from Poland and visiting PakistanI along with my team sharing a picture with Eva - who is a very cool and popular female vlogger from Poland and visiting PakistanThe police officer Amna was kind enough to take a picture with me :)The police officer Amna was kind enough to take a picture with me πŸ™‚An inspiring photo journalist sharing her work on stageAn inspiring photo journalist sharing her work on stageAn inspiring female chef sharing her journeyAn inspiring female chef sharing her journey

I had the best time after a long time, listening to some power talks by the amazing ladies of my hometown. In all honesty, we really undermine the work led by women but I'm glad that things around the world are changing and along with women, men are also SHOWING UP for women πŸ™‚ 

During the event, I met a couple of ladies who knew me and also were aware of Google Local Guides program and they asked me DOZENS of questions on 
- How do you review? 
- How do you check your level status? 
- What are the perks? πŸ˜„ 
- Do you get paid? πŸ˜› 
- Can we review the place of today's event on Google Maps? 

To all those questions, I said I do it because I love volunteering and I'm telling you more about Google Maps because I love my fellows and want to empower every single one out there. It was really fun telling them I was reviewing on Google maps for the past 4 years πŸ˜„ In the end, they were like okay we will start from reviewing today's event place and will also join Connect πŸ™‚ I also told them about meetups and especially about Priyanka's idea of Empowered Women - they loved the overall idea.

We ended our event by introducing a female singer who struggled for years for her singing career and now making a good earning in the singing career. All in all, it was an amazing event. 

I'm sure TEDx community Women focused events are happening all across the world and I would be happy to hear about other Women led events 

Islamabad Marriott Hotel, Agha Khan Road, Islamabad, Pakistan
10 comments
Level 8

Re: TEDxIslamabad Women 2018 - Showing Up πŸ™‹ ♀

Congratulation on co-organizing this event @AIMAN_SAEED! Great to see so many inspiring women lead the way. Kudus to you and your team. It's nice you shared your experience as an LG with these women too.

Cheers!

Connect Moderator

Hey @AIMAN_SAEED
It's really nice to see that how you guys are highlighting empowered women of Pakistan.
I m glad to see your efforts to make awareness.

I hope @PriyankaU  and our mentor @KarenVChin will also happy when they see your recap..

Proud of you Chhoti behen, 

Shukriya and keep it up πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Connect Moderator

@AIMAN_SAEED you never fail to amaze me. 

Organizing such big events and bridging local guides values to stay connected to such big audience is a very subtle mix. 

I am very happy to see that you have such an energetic and creative and you come up with something major almost every week to engage your audience as well serving your community. 

Keep up the good work, do share the event video re-cap (if you made one) as well.

Nicely done

Cheers

Level 9

Hi @AIMAN_SAEED, I loved the starting quote. Great initiative, I saw the pictures on Instagram. It's the people like you who bring positivity and hope in this world. More power to you!!!!

Level 8

Level 8

Thanks @KashifMisidia bhaii. I strongly feel the need that we should have more events like this so that women participation in Pakistan can be highlighted. 

Level 8

Thanks @OmerAli, just doing a small effort to engage more people and make their weekdays and weekends more happening+meaningful  πŸ™‚ 

Level 8

Thanks @PriyankaU, it was so heartwarming to see and hear from female community that events like these are a real source of inspiration for many. I'm glad that I was able to curate such a good event alongside my community. 

Google Moderator

Hey @AIMAN_SAEED,

Congratulation on co-organizing TEDxIslamabad Women 2018 - Showing Up and thank you for sharing your great experience with us!

When I was in Japan I have participated in the same event and it was very exciting for me. I am happy to see that you have had a good time!

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!