TsekoV's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Sustainability tips from Connect Moderators

Caption: A photo of a tree installation at Artesella, an outdoor art museum in Italy. (Courtesy of Local Guide @ermest)Caption: A photo of a tree installation at Artesella, an outdoor art museum in Italy. (Courtesy of Local Guide @ermest)

Sustainability is an important topic that is close to our hearts. We recently asked three Connect Moderators in our community, @ErmesT, @IlankovanT, and @EmekaUlor, to share their thoughts on this and tell us about the efforts they’re making towards a more sustainable environment. See how Local Guides like you can have a positive impact on the natural world.

1. What does nature mean to you?

Emeka: Any ecosystem where plants, animals, and humans can thrive side by side, that's nature for me. When we protect our natural habitat, it will also provide for and protect us.

Ermes: We are part of nature, so nature is everything around me. I love to explore natural areas around the world, and I like places where humans have integrated into the environment instead of changing it.

Ilankovan: Nature has become part and parcel of my life; living without harming it has become my lifestyle.

Caption: A photo of Ilankovan holding a rusty sign in a forest that says, “You are not my owner but protector.” (Courtesy of Local Guide @IlankovanT)Caption: A photo of Ilankovan holding a rusty sign in a forest that says, “You are not my owner but protector.” (Courtesy of Local Guide @IlankovanT)

2. In your opinion, how can Local Guides make time for nature in their daily lives? What are some of your easy tips for a more eco-friendly lifestyle?

Emeka: I have seen Local Guides doing some significant work around environmental topics, hosting garden tours, pet-friendly meet-ups, and underwater events. Keeping the environment free from waste is key to an eco-friendly lifestyle. We should also manage our waste properly by reducing, reusing, and recycling unwanted items.

Ermes: Apart from keeping our planet clean, I think that we need to dedicate more time to nature in a more respectful way. Some suggestions are:

• Visit parks and natural areas close to home, especially [if you have] children. Teach them the importance of nature. Some parks have volunteering opportunities for cleaning, or taking care of the plants. This will increase our involvement and awareness, and we can socialize with our neighbors in a greener way.
  • Plant flowers and trees at home or in public areas. This way, we can help the planet to breathe, and we will make our place more beautiful.
  • Buy local veggies and fruits. There are at least three reasons for that: 1. The food is fresh, because it’s not transported from far away; 2. We reduce our "carbon footprint"; and 3. The plants that grow in our area are usually the ones that keep us healthy, giving us the necessary nutrients and vitamins.

Ilankovan: We need to think about the greens around us. We need to create more greenery to provide shelters for birds. I started planting fruit trees in 2020; in my backyard, there are some Muntingia calabura trees, and now every morning, I hear birds in the trees. These kinds of small initiatives bring double benefits to mother nature.

When you say a more eco-friendly lifestyle, I think of my garden and cooking my own vegetables. Everyone can grow vegetables at home by utilizing the space [they have]. I also have a solar cooker, which cooks with solar energy. This technique does not produce carbon dioxide, and you get more vitamin D from your food.

Caption: A photo of Emeka holding a large bag of plastic bottles together with three other people. (Courtesy of Local Guide @EmekaUlor)Caption: A photo of Emeka holding a large bag of plastic bottles together with three other people. (Courtesy of Local Guide @EmekaUlor)

3. What is your advice for Local Guides who wish to celebrate or share their sustainability efforts at home?

Emeka: Local Guides could host virtual events to show their gardens, farms, and rescued animals. Share photos of your favorite parks, create lists of beautiful beaches and pet-friendly places. Take a Street View tour of the Amazon Rainforest, the Grand Canyon, and more. Street View is such a beautiful tool to see the wonders of nature. Local Guides can also take free online courses on biodiversity and the environment.

Ermes: I would suggest they use this time to explore or create content. I was deeply touched by Megan’s application video. Building content is easy, with Google Earth and lists. One of my lists was even featured by Google Earth on Twitter. I’m now working on a new one about Monti Sibillini National Park. I know the area very well because of the activities [I took part in] after the 2016 earthquake in Italy. [Editor’s note: For World Environment Day this year, Ermes shared a thematic post.]

Ilankovan: This year, those who are staying at home can plant vegetables in pots. Happiness is picking your home-grown vegetables and tasting them. Also, we can reduce the use of plastic at home and plan the use of non-plastic materials.

4. What are some of your favorite initiatives that you’ve taken part in or organized as a Local Guide to focus on sustainability?

Emeka: I have hosted a few meet-ups to create awareness on environmental sustainability under the initiative, like World Environment Day 2019: #BeatAirPollution, World Environment Day 2018: #BeatPlasticPollution, a beach clean-up, and a geo walk with university students.

Caption: A photo of people cleaning up a beach in Nigeria. (Courtesy of Local Guide @EmekaUlor)Caption: A photo of people cleaning up a beach in Nigeria. (Courtesy of Local Guide @EmekaUlor)

Ermes: [Apart from the “Local Guides Clean the World” initiative,] one of my projects is to create a map of "accessible nature paths," to help people with disabilities enjoy nature as well. 

I’m also part of a non-profit association, Progetto Re-cycle. Last year, we co-organized, “All you need is a flower – 100 hours for the environment.” The 5-day event was included in the ASVIS (Italian Alliance for Sustainable Development) Festival program. Here you can find a short recap with a video where I tried to condense 100 hours in five minutes. I didn't write a post in Connect about this because I try to keep the association separate from my Local Guide role. We wrote a small book instead. On the website of our association, I published an article of my views for the future, “The sixth R.”

Ilankovan: I initiated one billion tree planting with fellow Local Guides in 2018, and I named this campaign “Let’s Map Green.” I have also hosted a few beach cleanups [and shared] some posts on Connect, like “Join us for Free Rain,” “Garbage challenge at Kallady,” “Let's Map Green - 200 Trees,” “Photo Walk & Tree Planting,” and “Photo Walk with 20 Greens.”

5. Which is your favorite natural location and why?

Emeka: My favorite natural location is the Lekki Conservation Center. This is a sanctuary for plants and animals in the heart of Lagos. The ecosystem is untouched, and the air is cleaner. I love the place because you get to see some animals in their natural habitat and climb one of the longest canopy walks in the world.

Ermes: I have several favorite locations. To mention a few:

The Venetian Lagoon, the subject of my application video. It is interesting for its biodiversity, [just like] this botanical garden, which I love.

01.jpg01.jpg

Ilankovan: My favorite location is the Sinharaja Rainforest. This place is awesome. You will experience a peace of mind by hearing the different birds' tweets, [seeing the] animals’ behaviors, different green landscapes, insects, and more. I did a Street View coverage of this rainforest and wrote a post about it.

6. Do you include environment-related information in your Local Guides contributions?

Emeka: I have a list of parks and gardens in Lagos.  

Ermes: I like to highlight, especially with photos, waste signs and containers, electric charging stations, or environment-related signs.

Ilankovan: I do review [natural] places with some good photographs. You can check out one of my reviews here.

Caption: A photo of an accessible pathway in Oasi Cervara Park in Italy. (Courtesy of Local Guide @ermest)Caption: A photo of an accessible pathway in Oasi Cervara Park in Italy. (Courtesy of Local Guide @ermest)

7. How would you encourage a Local Guide who wishes to join an environmental initiative but is still a little hesitant about it?

Emeka: Firstly, I suggest they attend meet-ups that are environment-focused, then get onboard Ermes’s "Clean the World" project, and from there, they could become a lead in their community or start a new initiative if they are inspired. There's no need to hesitate. They can reach out to experienced Local Guides for ideas, too.

Ermes: A lot of people are hesitant because they know that this is something important, but think, "it’s too big for me." To answer, I would like to quote myself from a post about one of the most important clean-ups I did in my area: "Home is where we live, and I want my place to be clean and beautiful. [...] Local Guides is a global program, so, if all of us care about our Homes, we can say for sure that Local Guides Clean The World."

Joining an environmental initiative is easy, and the best thing is that, at the end of the day, you feel good. “How do you feel?” is what I ask everyone who joins a clean-up. The answer is always the same: a big smile and the words "Tired but happy; I feel good."

Caption: A photo of Ermes and other Local Guides wearing a green T-shirt with the Local Guides Clean the World campaign logo and posing for a photo before a clean-up. (Courtesy of Local Guide @ermest)Caption: A photo of Ermes and other Local Guides wearing a green T-shirt with the Local Guides Clean the World campaign logo and posing for a photo before a clean-up. (Courtesy of Local Guide @ermest)

Ilankovan: I advise those who are a little hesitant about [joining] environmental initiatives to think about their next generation. A small action can give shade and more oxygen to their daughter or their granddaughter. 

How do you incorporate nature into your daily life? Do you have any sustainability tips? Tell us in the comments below.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

17 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Sustainability tips from Connect Moderators

Wonderful post @TsekoV 

And I'm glad to be part local guides clean the world with @ErmesT  and also passionate @IlankovanT show us his green garden  and let's make green maps in one  of  @KarenVChin Virtual meet-up 

For my self , I'm planted some  vegetables in backyard for self consumption 

Connect Moderator

Love seeing what all these amazing Local Guides are doing for sustainability, @TsekoV!

Great job @ErmesT@IlankovanT, and @EmekaUlor! As for me, my goal is to try and teach my kids about the environment and nature, get them outside to hike, riding bikes, and walking along creeks and rivers. It becomes natural to educate about littering and pollution as they are out in nature and teaching better practices. 

#TeamUSA USA | My Contributions | Instagram | @Mention me so I see your reply
Connect Moderator

As a citizen of Busy and polluted city Karachi, sometimes it's hard to enjoy pure nature in my busy life, but I always try to find some time (mostly on my off day) to visit any place where I can spend some time with my family in a pure environment.

Start of Autumn in Karachi, Photo By @kashifmisidiaStart of Autumn in Karachi, Photo By @kashifmisidiaRoad to Thaddu Dam by @kashifmisidiaRoad to Thaddu Dam by @kashifmisidiaFirst Stop of Photo Walk in Nature At Village Goth Baloch KhanFirst Stop of Photo Walk in Nature At Village Goth Baloch Khan

Because I believe, if you want to live healthily, you should spare some time for yourself, with pure natural air, greenery, or at ocean (Now We made these places dangerous for every living thing by our hands and by pollution)

As a Local Guide and #cleantheworld and #letsmapsgreen team member, I learn a lot about the importance of clean environment for our planet, by @ErmesT & @IlankovanT and my observation about my country is 

1) we all care about environment, but there is something missing, specially in Pakistan, that why people here still neglecting the big danger which probably we have to face not very far but with in 10 to 15 years if we will not care about our environment.

2) In our world may thousands or millions of people care about environment, these numbers are just 1% of overall population of the world. But as we a are living here, using  facilities of free air, free rain, food from oceans & land ,. Than we should care about these resources of life too .  And not just millions of total population , but each and every person have to take thier responsibility to save and remain clean our planet.

Let's Clean The Turtle Beach- LGC Anniversary Celebration Meetup KarachiLet's Clean The Turtle Beach- LGC Anniversary Celebration Meetup KarachiLocal Guides from Pakistan Cleaning the beach with great DedicationLocal Guides from Pakistan Cleaning the beach with great DedicationCleaning The Beach by Students and Teachers Of PACCCleaning The Beach by Students and Teachers Of PACC

Thank you @TsekoV for sharing awesome post, to Convey this message is really need of time.

Thank you 🙏

Please type @ before username to mention/tag me so I can reply to you quicker. About me |Guiding Star 2021 | Follow me on Maps |  | Instagram |   

Gems Of the World - A Connect Travel Post Challenge

Level 8

Level 8

Great post @TsekoV sustainability is SO important and so is this post.

Thank you @ermest@IlankovanT, and @EmekaUlor for all perfect examples what we can do and you all have done.
We all must Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Recover

• REDUCE is to limit the amount of waste you create. 
  • REUSE means to use something again that you would normally throw away.
  • RECYCLE means the product goes through a process to change its form. Only recommended when reducing and reusing are not possible!
  • RECOVER is to convert waste into resources (such as electricity, heat, compost and fuel). 

Teaching and educating children is most important for as they are the future. Teach them about the beauty of nature at a young age and the will love and respect it when they are older.

I'm taking part in a program in the Netherlands called: 

Converting biodiversity loss to biodiversity recovery together.

I live in a sustainable house with A label for energy consumption.
An  energy label shows how energy-efficient your home is. The label makes it clear which energy-saving measures are possible. The label classes for homes run from A to G. Homes with an A-label are the most energy-efficient, homes with a G-label are the least energy-efficient. The label also provides an overview of housing characteristics, such as the housing type, insulation, glazing and heating.

Next to those there are a few more things I do. Best practise is always be aware of your impact on the environment. Keeping your footprint low.

Cheers, Erik

Level 7

Thanks local guide for making such awareness for our planet earth. As i live in a city and we do not have beach or park. I grow my plants in pots and in some free area infornt of my house. We have guava tree and its fruits are so sweet and organic as we don't use any Pesticide or Fertilizer.

Connect Moderator

It's a beautiful world and Local Guides like like @ermest@IlankovanT, and @EmekaUlor just make it more beautiful @TsekoV.

Connect Moderator

Thank you for this amazing post, @TsekoV , and sorry for being so late in responding.

I'm taking a few days off, trying to stay away from the noise, as much as possible in contact with the nature. Just two days ago I wrote a post about my area, and the relation between art, nature, history, from a "Local Guide" Point of View: How many way to contribute? Nature & history - Alps of North East 

I am blushing while reading your post, and the comments form all the friends who wanted to join us in this experience.

I love the unique approach of @IlankovanT . His Let’s Map Green! is one of the best initiatives I have ever seen.

"Not conditional" is how I would like to define the effort @EmekaUlor is putting into everything he is doing, from cleaning the beaches to defending accessibility.

Not Conditional, because there is a deep relationship between Accessibility, Environment, and Sustainability. This is what I would try to explain this year, on the next edition of the Italian Sustainability Festival in September. In short, what I will tell them is in this video

It was beautiful, @Nyainurjanah , to clean a piece of world together, thanks to the amazing organization of @KarenVChin .

Education is the first step of everything, @JordanSB , but teaching about the nature is one of the most beautiful experience of the life, because you have to teach "in the nature".

Thanks @KashifMisidia for being one of the strongest supporter of Local Guides Clean the World”, together with @DavidTito , the man behind the map.

The help that you guys are giving to make this planet a better place to live is priceless, and I am really proud to be your friend.

Thank you for sharing (and participating on) the program about biodiversity in Netherlands@Erik_van_den_Ham . My count of R is actually arrived to 6 😉 Here is my views for the future, “The sixth R.”

We van take care of the environment in a lot of different ways @Ru_pali4 , so thanks for what you are doing.

You are one of the reasons why this word is so beautiful, @AdamGT  : Because you care about it

Level 8

There RRRRRRR even more I see @ErmesT!  It all started with a great initiative " Delta Plan for Biodiversity Restoration" for the Netherlands.

"A unique coalition of Dutch scientists, farmers’ organisations, nature and environmental organisations  (check who took their featured photo 😎) , food supply chain partners and a bank  (love that featured picture too) joined forces in November 2017 to sign the 'Driebergen Declaration', which stresses the necessity of working together to reverse those trends. A core group of these parties proceeded to draught the current 'Delta Plan'.

The name refers to historic efforts by the Dutch government, provincial and municipal authorities and water boards after the disastrous North Sea flood of 1953 to protect the Netherlands from the sea, resulting in the world-famous Delta Works. Now, there is a similar sense of urgency when it comes to the need for restoring biodiversity"

Deltaplan_English.PDF 3.63 MB