EricMartinezPH's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Submitting my Connect Live 2018 Application Video

Hey fellow Local Guides, how’s everything rocking? If you are reading this post while looking for some tips on how to do your own application video, I hope my experience can help a bit.

We still have a few days before the deadline is up so there’s still plenty of time to complete your submissions!

Here are a few tips I can share that can help you pull it off easier:

1. WRITE A SCRIPT

This WILL save you a lot of time. I don’t normally write scripts for my own videos but I was pleasantly surprised how quickly we filmed the entire thing when we already had the words nailed down.

2. HAVE A STORYBOARD

HUGE Time Saver too as with this you should define how you want a shot to look like, what props you’ll be using, what clothes you’ll be wearing, where the location is, etc.

3. REHEARSE

Not to be scripted but to avoid fumbling again and again and actually have time to complete all your needed shots, especially if you’re pressed for time.

4. BE WARY OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS

Audio is always a concern as there might be a lot of traffic nearby, the wind might be too brisk and other external sounds can get in the way of you properly delivering your message. Double-check too if there’s any other element in the shot that you don’t want to be included (e.g. people or objects in the background)

5. CHECK THE SUN OUT

Outdoor shots are ideal for these type of materials as you wouldn’t need an elaborate setup to mimic natural lighting if you were to do it indoors. Besides, you’d want to strut your locale too to the rest of us! Just be careful that you don’t shoot in the shadows or where the sun is too bright or when there’s very low light conditions late in the day.

6. REPEAT SHOTS

Even if you feel that you nailed it the first time around, ALWAYS have a safety shot. You never know what take you’ll end up using until you sit down to edit as there’s so many factors that can sway your decision once you see the clips in post production. Better have choices than being stuck with one that you thought was awesome but turns out to be off in something.

7. EQUIPMENT ISN’T EVERYTHING

We know plenty of YouTubers that have tons of subscribers but only have smartphones to do all their shooting and video editing. People are interested by the STORY you have to tell, not what goes on behind the camera (or the phone for that matter). It might be more tedious but as long as you have the basics nailed down, you’re on the right track.

8. BE DIRECT TO THE POINT

We only have 1 MINUTE to cover a lot so you’d want to be extra meticulous in taking out FLUFF. Check your script to ensure that you are only saying all the important things that you want to make an impact on. You can also add simple graphics or overlays to your video to include more points that you want to cover.

9. INVOLVE YOUR COMMUNITY

Local Guides is about connecting and helping people around you. Ensure that that is reflected and demonstrate how you’ve contributed to your very own community back home. I’d even encourage to physically have a friend or a fellow LG help you out as shooting a video is easier with four hands 🙂

10. TELL YOUR STORY and BE GENUINE

More than anything, this STORY is about YOU. Dig deep on what your motivations are for doing what we do and reflect that. Do not try to be anybody else as you can’t beat them at their game. Nobody can beat you at being you, however! The more natural you try to be, the easier the whole thing will be 🙂

Let's Go ShootLet's Go ShootStrutting LG SwagStrutting LG SwagNicaragua Represent!Nicaragua Represent!3 Days to Go - Tick Tock3 Days to Go - Tick Tock

As of this writing, I’m still polishing my own video before I upload but I’ll share it here soon

Here’s a link from last year’s material so you can have an idea on what I’m aiming to improve this time around:

https://youtu.be/rL_CY9yhEJY

FUN FACT: I’m also a Travel Vlogger with my partner.

We COULDN’T have gotten started on the project though, without us overcoming the initial scare of making a video for Local Guides last year.

After that, we knew we were capable of creating content and have strived hard to improve after about 60+ videos in our channel.

You never really know until you try. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes - You’ll find out quicker what to improve later on!

Cheers and best of luck superstar Local Guides!

Eric from Nicaragua

Managua, Nicaragua
11 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Submitting my Connect Live 2018 Application Video

Hey, @EricMartinezPH

Very helpful post, as usual.

Sorry for responding so late, but I hope everything is fine now

Ermes

Level 9

Thand you for sharing @EricMartinezPH. I already did and submitted my video, praying for God's favor now #smiles.  The tips you shared are great! 

Thanks 

A-Beta
Level 10

Thanks a lot Ermes!

Connect Moderator

Absolutely helpful post, @EricMartinezPH! Had the pleasure of seeing you put a lot of these to action during the last Summit! Good luck and hope to see you again!

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall
Anonymous
Not applicable

@EricMartinezPH Thanks man, this is helpful.

Level 6

Thanks for the info Eric!¡

Level 9

So if I don't see the countdown like in that purple picture, I've missed it??

Level 10

Hi, unfortunately yes. You need to have submitted your video before the deadline to qualify. Here's my application video for this year, hope you try again for future Connect Lives, brother: https://youtu.be/uyA-gqOK-XA

Level 10

Hi guys, here's my application video this year 🙂

Good luck to everybody, we're now hearing news that the You're In emails are starting to trickle in: https://youtu.be/uyA-gqOK-XA