chadindiana's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Street View Photographer - Any Helpful Tips?

I have the new 2017 version of the Samsung Gear 360 camera and this unit does not have the Google Maps feature like the previous version. But I am still able to shoot 360 photos. So I assume this camera can still be used, or am I wrong? I've seen several Google videos on their 360 photography program, but nothing that actually tells how to take the photos. Do we just walk down the middle of a street and snap a photo every 10 steps or ??? Tip on shooting parks, beaches, and businesses? 

Who has actual experience and can provide more details? 

4 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: Street View Photographer - Any Helpful Tips?

@chadindiana congrats on  your new purchase. I am sure you will have lots of good time with the new camera.

You are right about the Gear360 2017 not Street View certified, basically it means, that the Street View app cannot control the camera. 
All 360 photos (within StreetView spec requirements), taken with mobile phone, or 360 camera or DSLR (manual stitched), can be uploaded to Street View via a manual process with the Street View app.

After you shoot the 360 photos and imported them into the phone via the Samsung Gear360 manager app, you can either share the photos via menu to Street View app or import them from within Street View app. Then add a Map Listing and upload. No issues with photos from the camera.

For the image requirements for Street View, here is the link, look towards the bottom of the page https://www.google.com/streetview/earn/

Regarding shooting Street View outdoor "walk", turn on GPS on phone, make sure the Camera is connected to the Gear360 manager app, and make sure it has access to Location services. And just walk and shoot, outdoors approx 3 meters apart. Make sure that your GPS is active. And that photos are configured to be tagged with GPS in the setting in Samsung app. You can shoot without GPS and adjusting it later via the Street View app, that works fine too, unless you have many photo, then it becomes a lot of work.

After you imported images to Street View app, you may want to blur faces in the menu before uploading.

The other thing you can try is start recording 360 videos.

Have a look at my 360 walking tour channel here if keen. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZrwYVAQZPLTFZYrg0NXKfQ/videos

(Some videos are taken with the Gear360 2017, some with the Xiaomi MiSphere. stated in video comments)

An example video here here of the Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia. (Watch in 4K full screen where possible)

Have a great time with your new camera! I am.. 🙂

Just tagging a few friends who own the Samsung Gear360 2017 @Haseeb@Cweng@Hyderali

View solution in original post

Level 10
Solution

@chadindiana congrats on  your new purchase. I am sure you will have lots of good time with the new camera.

You are right about the Gear360 2017 not Street View certified, basically it means, that the Street View app cannot control the camera. 
All 360 photos (within StreetView spec requirements), taken with mobile phone, or 360 camera or DSLR (manual stitched), can be uploaded to Street View via a manual process with the Street View app.

After you shoot the 360 photos and imported them into the phone via the Samsung Gear360 manager app, you can either share the photos via menu to Street View app or import them from within Street View app. Then add a Map Listing and upload. No issues with photos from the camera.

For the image requirements for Street View, here is the link, look towards the bottom of the page https://www.google.com/streetview/earn/

Regarding shooting Street View outdoor "walk", turn on GPS on phone, make sure the Camera is connected to the Gear360 manager app, and make sure it has access to Location services. And just walk and shoot, outdoors approx 3 meters apart. Make sure that your GPS is active. And that photos are configured to be tagged with GPS in the setting in Samsung app. You can shoot without GPS and adjusting it later via the Street View app, that works fine too, unless you have many photo, then it becomes a lot of work.

After you imported images to Street View app, you may want to blur faces in the menu before uploading.

The other thing you can try is start recording 360 videos.

Have a look at my 360 walking tour channel here if keen. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZrwYVAQZPLTFZYrg0NXKfQ/videos

(Some videos are taken with the Gear360 2017, some with the Xiaomi MiSphere. stated in video comments)

An example video here here of the Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia. (Watch in 4K full screen where possible)

Have a great time with your new camera! I am.. 🙂

Just tagging a few friends who own the Samsung Gear360 2017 @Haseeb@Cweng@Hyderali

Level 10

Thank you for sharing 360 photos experience。

Cweng
Level 9

Hello @chadindiana nice to know you that you will be using gear 360 to upload panoramas in street view appp
Just follow the instruction mentioned by @StephenAbraham & do it manually 🙂
Thanks @StephenAbraham for remembering me 🙂

Level 6

Hi guys.

@StephenAbhaham. That was a great video of the Petronas towers. Great you tube channel too. I think I might be trying some 360 filming next time I'm on holiday Been seeing some amazing stuff recently.

Best wishes

James