Mongoose's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Street Photography , so what is it ?

This was a very diferent photo . I could not get the compositio right , the photo feels unbalanced to me..  The Title " Flying Brick " is a clue to the viewer  to seek out the brick ,  and thats not just a lucky shot  , I waited   and at the decisive moment , I froze this scene forever, The photo is also unusual as we are used to things having an outside  structure  , the three strange holes seem to push that  inside to the outside.  There is nohing for the viewer to ancor themselves to until they see the man catching the brick , and then  our anxious minds cam settle downThis was a very diferent photo . I could not get the compositio right , the photo feels unbalanced to me.. The Title " Flying Brick " is a clue to the viewer to seek out the brick , and thats not just a lucky shot , I waited and at the decisive moment , I froze this scene forever, The photo is also unusual as we are used to things having an outside structure , the three strange holes seem to push that inside to the outside. There is nohing for the viewer to ancor themselves to until they see the man catching the brick , and then our anxious minds cam settle down

Photo by Paul Watson , " The Flying Brick " , Streets of Cape Town

Street photography is not about taking random photos of people on the street, or chasing homeless people down and taking photos of them so everyone can Like and share in their bad luck. I am just as guilty, I have taken a few pictures that were so hard hitting and provoking that I started getting Death Threats. Now think about it, a homeless person get absolutely nothing out of you taking their picture, most times photographers don't even ask. Now if you post that photo to social media and get 1 like or compliment, that means you have profited off someone's misery. 
I said " Hell no"I said " Hell no"
Street photography can be very amusing sometimes . I titled this photo " Like hell i will , just say NO to street signs " . Picture take by asking someone on the street near by to snap this picture of me. Now Imagine if a drunk man with a leaking paint tine was weaving passed this sign.

Photo , " Hell no " photo was taken by a random person walk nearby 

The sympathy that the viewer give is just for you to make you feel good. But I can hear you say, The Homeless people are part of the streets, , yes they are , but you the photographer need to think just a little before pushing the button.
How about when you saw the homeless person , and you felt the urge to take a photo , go up and talk to them , buy them some food , be interested in them . Once you start to see that this person has a STORY, switch to Journalism or Documentary Photography but ask for permission. 
Homeless people are not wild animals to be hunted down and shot with a canon or Nikon
My advice is do not exploit peoples misery and desperation for likes or image views.  So think, be empathetic.. 

" quiet please " , This photo  makes people smile , young people having a noisy time.  This was a commercial that was been filmed by a movie companu . I am no stranger to the set up and the way they do things on shoots like this . First my curiosity was sparked , I went to look , and i saw a Gap , a sound technician stepped back went to a van behind him. I know from experience that the crew know were to stand without been in the photo , , so i stepped into this spot that the technician had xacated , and composed , waited and took the photo , and then turned around and left,  Its not my film shoot  , but sneaking a photo does no harm as long as you do not  disturb the shoot." quiet please " , This photo makes people smile , young people having a noisy time. This was a commercial that was been filmed by a movie companu . I am no stranger to the set up and the way they do things on shoots like this . First my curiosity was sparked , I went to look , and i saw a Gap , a sound technician stepped back went to a van behind him. I know from experience that the crew know were to stand without been in the photo , , so i stepped into this spot that the technician had xacated , and composed , waited and took the photo , and then turned around and left, Its not my film shoot , but sneaking a photo does no harm as long as you do not disturb the shoot.
Street photography is about moments, thin slices of time, captured by you the artist and that moment will never be repeated again until the sun goes super Nova in a 120 Billion years.. I know one of the Big Pro photographers call this the "decisive moment”. It takes years of practice, and its almost a reflex pushing the button, rather than a thought. Let me try and explain , You might see a interesting looking man walking down the road , maybe Marching more like it , he has Pun striped long pants on , a silk shirt and a Fedora  type hat. So when do you take the shot?  Don’t just blast away, or move aggressively towards him . This is what I would do, I would cross to the other side of the street, then keep pace with him , walking in the same direction as he is . Then I would  ne looking for  things on the streets ahead of him that can add to his story.  If i was lucky he would walk passed a Fence that has long bars mimicking the pin stripes on pants , I would take a shot , try and blend in , and carry on following him , one never knows what might happen next , but be ready , move with purpose. Start to look and almost predict photos .
Street Photography is about the City streets and its inhabitants. Its about emotion, connection, love , beauty , life , death  , They are not photos if you are good , they become art.
I always think to myself when taking a photo, why are you taking a photo of this direction? What caught my interest, and is there a story to be told in the photo. I always remind myself that i  can legally take a photo of anyone in a Public space , as long as they are over 18 , and  i am not misrepresenting them. 

Cat scan , once again , I alert the vieweer to look out for a cat .  Most people will glance over the photo and think " what the hell is so special about this scene , " they read the title , spot the cat , realize the cat spotted them first  , and they laughCat scan , once again , I alert the vieweer to look out for a cat . Most people will glance over the photo and think " what the hell is so special about this scene , " they read the title , spot the cat , realize the cat spotted them first , and they laugh
Here's something interesting i, discussed this a lawyer friend and he agreed with me. A Street Photographer can take a photo of a person, and sell that photo as art. As long as the person in  the photo was not misrepresented in any way or compromising them in whatever way , spiritually , traditionally or ,  If a person asks not to have their photo taken , be polite , , , people are sometimes so critical of themselves that they will not allow a photo of themselves to go on social media because they feel that they are so ugly . No means no , so apologize and bid them goodbye and walk away
Street photography is an art form , its not easy , and to take a photo that will have people wanting to frame it and hang on their walls for years and years and they will see that photo every day . Its going to have to be something special,
Street Photography is a bit like setting up a stage for audience.  You the artist with the camera, have to take a photo that has your touch and feel to the picture. You are the benders of light (Photography in Latin means Painting with light ) To set the scene , you must use every trick in the book ,. Colour -  Certain colours make people certain ways , colour also has connotations  I use colour to support and amplify a mood or feeling i am trying to present to my viewer
Red - Passion , War , Blood , masculinity , danger ,, love ,  but also sex Its a colour that catches people’s attention , and you can use it to pull a  viewer’s eye to a part of the photo. It is also very difficult  to create depth with , Red tends to flatten out parts of a photo , 
Blue - Cold , depressed , down , emotional , wet , water boy child .
Yellow - warmth, sunlight, friendship, sunflowers, but also warning , sickness , and quarantine., it’s a very zig zag type colour if it moved , it would be very energetic.
Green - Neutral, healing, peace, tranquillity, forests , grass , but also has memories of hospitals  , sick people and poison.
Orange - Healthy , fruit , warmth , fun , laughter , eye catching and can be used as a warning
And so you can see how colours can pushy a person’s way of thing or feeling in a direction that you the artist wants.
White - Critical colour , peace , surrender , blank ,, purity ,snow., good
Black - Shadows , evil , hidden , night time , fear , loss.
If i may quickly point out  Black and white are not colours , they are technically called tones. 
 When i got my first Digital camera, i would write long lists of what colours reminded me of.  I Like valentine’s Day , one thinks about the colour red straight away.  These are called Visual  Clues , and its something that all the big Hollywood studio movies use.  One has to think about why you react to things in a certain way .  Try figure out why something scares you , and not just colour can be a visual que , put objects can set a certain mood. 
Lines and Patterns - start to try and see the world in black and white with very heavy contrast.  Look for leading lines, a line that will pull the viewers eye along a route , lines that converge on the focal point.  Long slender lines that look like Jain cell bars. . Think all the time, those rectangle shadows look like a pianos keys.  But now you have the idea , can you take the photo in such a way that the viewer gets it and I promise you , when you have little things like that in your photos , people feel good and proud of themselves for figuring out and understanding your visual clues
Street Photography can be Black and whites or Coloured. Black and white photos are the more traditional medium.
and to end off , I beg you  , from the depths of my soul , , try to see and showcase happier , joyful and more positive things when taking street photos , Its very easy to see the darker , dirty and dilapidated lonely side of the streets.. You are the artist  , you  paint the scene , and  let me tell you , every day on social media , people are bombarded with thousands of images , War , destruction , hate , violence , and then hundreds and thousands of photos that have no story , no thought , no emotion , just arbitrary  people in a unknown city walking on a random street. 
When you start to see things that others don’t see , and you understand and can use all these tricks to create a photo that makes people react and feel/  Stop taking random photos , that look like the same photos from 20 years ago ( The bad photos )  ,  YOU are unique , You see things differently than most people , so use your intelligence to capture a scene that people will pull apart ass it has layers .
Stay away from boring  everyone and anyone can take that photo , and start looking at things differently.

Photos and  Essay written and taken by Paul Watson.

I would love t hear your Thoughts about WHAT YOU THINK Street Photography . and if you are brave enough , Post a street photo and you tell me why you like it and what your thoughts were when taking it.  I will gladly give my opinion without been nasty or cruel , and just as you can learn from me , I learn from you as well. 
Pink Hats - Sanya China. Just because i am man dosnt mean i cant take lovely feminine photos Are tou able to see the visual clues that make this photo more  " bice" . The  Pastal colors as well as the sofy golden sunlight softn things.  Now amother thing is Curves and circles  is a way and feels femine and smooth and soft. Masculine  ia bold lines , and sharp angles. , So the round hats and even look at thier shoulders and the  curves on the fabricPink Hats - Sanya China. Just because i am man dosnt mean i cant take lovely feminine photos Are tou able to see the visual clues that make this photo more " bice" . The Pastal colors as well as the sofy golden sunlight softn things. Now amother thing is Curves and circles is a way and feels femine and smooth and soft. Masculine ia bold lines , and sharp angles. , So the round hats and even look at thier shoulders and the curves on the fabric

Poet , Photographer , Artist , Videographer , Sailor .
6 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Street Photography , so what is it ?

Thank you @Mongoose for this elaborate information on street photography! Indeed, I agree that it's a bit more than just capturing people on the street.

You've managed to explain nicely about the story and street photographs are definitely one of my favorites to look at, because of the story behind it. Another great thing about it, is every viewer can interpret it his/her own way. 

Do you take a lot of street photos? Which ones do you find are most difficult to take? In my opinion all with portraits of people are the hardest. 

By the way, your post is getting a Photography label to suit it better. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Really nice post, @Mongoose. Thank you sharing your thoughts in such detail.

I strongly agree with your opinion about photographing homeless people. I love and respect all sorts of visual arts. The one thing I can't relate to is taking advantage of helpless and innocent people in order to make yourself look good, creative or whatever. That's why I have a rule: If a person hasn't specifically stressed that they are okay with being in a photo I don't bother them.

This is why one of the most significant qualities a photographer can have is charming people around him. At least, in my opinion. If you have the ability the get the attention and respect of people you want to shoot then sky is the limit. 🙂

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 7

14470581_10155254942485744_8101785152342936541_n.jpg
I write short stories that go with my photos , some long made up pieces , others on how i felt at that moment . This might help you a bit with your portraiture type photos.

"I walked up an alleyway, and noticed the fake hurriedness of people around me. Things to do, their body language said, places to be, but beneath all that, their inner self screamed “talk to me”, “talk to me , I can’t stand this silence”.
I see this beautiful woman walking towards me. I stop her, and her mouth drops open like a fish out of its element. I catch a secret message flung out her subconscious. “How Dare you interrupt me”.
I smile and crinkle my eyes slightly, I open my right hand in a gesture of peace, in my left hand is my camera. I ask “may I take your picture please? “My eyes don’t leave hers , she looks at me and says “ Why ? What’s it for? “ 
I reply “For beauty, on such mean streets one does not often see such visions “ . She laughs, and stands against a wall with a Coke a Cola Advert. Yes, my mind sings, this is it. * Coke Jingle
I smile and thank her, her ending words seemed to echo in my head for a long while afterwards.
“ Have a Blessed day “, she says without a thought ,
I count myself blessed , I am still breathing am I not ?

One of the things I am planning to do as I write more articles is help fellow photographers use some small tricks when approaching people and asking them if you can take their photo. How to make them more relaxed , how to gain confidence , and when to fight your fears and take a chance .

One more awesome story, @Mongoose.I see you're full of them. Of course, spreading your experience is the most generous thing you could do.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Connect Moderator

Hola @Mongoose , es simplemente hermoso en tiempos de selfies y fotos robadas.

Me gusta mucho el punto de vista que le imprimes cuando haces una fotografía de la calle, darle el barniz de humanización y respeto por el otro, considero que es básico para hacer las fotos en la vía pública.

En mi caso soy muy reacio ha hacer fotos de la calle con personas en cualquier forma, por dos motivos uno respeto a la persona que retrato y dos como tú bien acotas ya tenemos mucha miserias en el mundo para seguir agregando más. 

En este último caso a menos que seas un reportero las considero innecesaria y en algunos casos agresivas, las personas en situación de calle no son actores de circo y no están para divertirnos, en todo caso están para recordarnos lo poco solidario que solos en la sociedad que permitimos y dejamos que ocurra que esos desplazados del sistema estén tan mal.

Pero regresando al tema, las pocas veces que realice Fotos de personas en la ciudad o en la calle trate de retratar la situación. Dentro de lo posible que no salga el rostro.

Caption: Personas comprando - Bariloche  (Local Guides @FaridMonti)Caption: Personas comprando - Bariloche (Local Guides @FaridMonti)

Las otras fotos que si tiene personas involucradas son las deportivas, pero esas no las considero de la calle sino como dije antes solo deportivas.

Caption: Rugby femenino - Río Grande (Local Guides @FaridMonti)Caption: Rugby femenino - Río Grande (Local Guides @FaridMonti)

Y después están las que realmente me fascinan y por dentro no puedo dejarla pasar a la imagen que veo y me digo tengo que retratar a esta persona porque su imagen es muy hermosa, en la composición que queda con todo a su alrededor.

Caption:  Mujer de lentes espejados - Cartagena de Indias (Local Guides @FaridMonti)Caption: Mujer de lentes espejados - Cartagena de Indias (Local Guides @FaridMonti)

Y por último el tipo de fotos periodísticas sin ser yo un periodista, pero si un observador de la realidad que está en algunos momentos.

Caption: Manifestación popular - Tucumán (Local Guides @FaridMonti)Caption: Manifestación popular - Tucumán (Local Guides @FaridMonti)

En general el tipo de fotograbaría que me gusta son las de arquitectura, animales, platos de comidas y en especial los paisajes, no tengo una técnica especial solo el deseo de retratar la imagen que ven mis ojos en ese momento

Farid

Level 7

I have certain style of Street Photography ,, and so do many people. My style is fast , quick , candid ,sometimes i feel like chatting to people , but never degrading people and always looking for humor.

IA local photographer was displaying some of her photos in the public square. Scenes like these happen , and i do not even think , i react and shoot.A local photographer was displaying some of her photos in the public square. Scenes like these happen , and i do not even think , i react and shoot.

The more i think about Street Photography , the more i think most people have their own views and ideas . the Theme is Our Urban  Street Environments and the adjacent fields and buildings.

My Aim when hitting the streets , besides trying to cover as large a piece of the city as possible , but I am not out to document the city i happen to be in. I am looking for emotion , the human condition , the character of the city and its people , unique scenes that make you laugh , or take notice or draw attention to a small part of the city.

People are generally afraid of you the photographer  when on the streets. Think about it , there is this person who is always looking , here and there ,  Then darts off down a side street.. We photographers usually carry a camera bag , and  we walk in no sensible pattern or direction

So my advice is. if you want to engage more with people on the streets.  Pick the right person to talk to. A Businessman marching down the road at a brisk pace is not really want to chat to you , but see that street vendor , that bored looking one? Go up and say hello. Its real easy. Here are a few psychological tricks to use..
If you have your camera ,put it in one hand and when approaching vendor , make sure that the vendor sees the camera , even if it means putting it on a table in front of them.
Now crinkle your eyes closed , not all the way , but make sure you can feel wrinkles on the sides of your eyes.
Now smile. You don't even have to use teeth , and with your eyes crinkled closed  and a genuinely friendly smile. The vendor cannot help but talk to you.
By Crinkling your eyes  , its a way of looking non threatening to a new person. Think about when a person is angry or aggressive , their eyes will be stretched open. And when you smile , make sure its genuine , people can tell very quickly when you start faking smiles.
When you talk to the new person , with your camera in one hand you can use your other hand for gestures . An open hand palm facing upwards , its something from our ancient selves., it triggers something in the brain that lets them know you have no weapons and your intentions are good.
Are you panicking yet ?
What are you going to talk about ?
Loads of things , , the weather is always a great topic. Ask if you may take their photo, , but try  and get them to do something really special ,  Make them jump in the air while you taking a photo ,. Try and incorporate what ever they are selling in the photo. Tell them that you are practicing and trying to gain your confidence  chatting to strangers on the streets , just like you have initiated with them. That vendor will love you for putting your trust in them allowing yourself to look vulnerable.
And if the vendor dose not want to talk . ? Just smile , respect their
And always be on the look out for unexpected scenes like this one. The  Bride and Grooms were doing a photography session , and when trying to go back to the guests ,  A  flat tire. The Photographer and with the groom giving him instructions  was changing the tire, The bride was cursing and swearing , very unlady like under her breath,And always be on the look out for unexpected scenes like this one. The Bride and Grooms were doing a photography session , and when trying to go back to the guests , A flat tire. The Photographer and with the groom giving him instructions was changing the tire, The bride was cursing and swearing , very unlady like under her breath,wishes and move on