Venky_lightbug's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Star Trail Photography with Smartphone

Hello guys,

So I was at Lonavala, Maharashtra last weekend for a photoshoot. As soon I reached the place, my attention was grabbed by the bright smiling moon on a side and glittery stars on the other.

I have been meaning to capture star trail with a mobile camera but as we know the Pollution in cities that cover up the sky making the stars pretty dull and also the ever glowing lights blow out the images.

This was a perfect opportunity for me as the sky was clear and I had a Vantage Point :D. Very fortunately I was carrying the tripod. So for the next one hour I was sitting in the balcony capturing the stars with my mobile.

Here's the final Output after stacking up the images

Star Trails Captured at Lonavala, MaharashtraStar Trails Captured at Lonavala, Maharashtra

The device settings were ISO-100, Shutter Speed- 30 Sec, Focus- Infinity. I captured almost 50 pictures along the duration of 50 min and stacked it using star stax.

Here are few tips I would want to share if you are willing to capture stars,

1. Carry a Tripod - You require longer shutter speeds to capture more light and make the stars visible.
  2. Identify the Location - Its not possible to captures Stars anywhere. Find a location where the pollution is less and skies are clear.
  3. Keep the shutter speed to maximum. My phone has 30sec as max, some have it limited to 15sec and some 60 sec. Set to the max value.
  4. Keep the ISO to as low as possible. The smartphone camera sensors are small and boosting up ISO will introduce a lot of grains and noise.
  5. Use a timer to avoid shake while clicking the capture button. Few apps have auto capture options, like FV-5 camera.
  6. Select a Foreground- For the image to look as pleasing and give the viewer the essence of sky, its important to keep a steady subject in the Foreground, like I used a Bungalow.
  7. Charge the Phone to full and keep a power bank on stand by if required. The night temperatures are generally very low at few places and the battery tends to drain faster.
  8. Capture the stars that are on the opposite side of the Moon. You cannot capture Moon and stars in the same frame due to the exposure limitations for both.
  9. Last but not the least "Have Patience". I generally listen to music during that time 🙂

I hope this post is helpful for you guys in someway.

@PoliMC @InaS @DanniS @TravellerG @VasT  Do share stories about your "Starry Nights" and pictures if any 🙂

Click| Travel| Repeat
Follow on Instagram | https://www.instagram.com/venky_lightbug/
Lonavala, Maharashtra, India
17 comments
Level 10

Re: Star Trail Photography with Smartphone

@Venky_lightbug Thanks for sharing this. Good to know that you were able to stack multiple images of 30 second exposures to crate a composite. Definitely well worth the effort. 

Former Google Contributor

Viite: Star Trail Photography with Smartphone

Thank you for sharing these tips @Venky_lightbug

It's impressive what you've shot by phone only, well done! I haven't tried this method, but looking at your results makes me want to try it out. I know it's tough and takes time. 

Do you take a lot of night photos? What do you find hardest in this type of photography?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Hi @Venky_lightbug,

Thanks a lot for the tag!

I am impressed with this photo! The description and the tips that you gave us for this type of photography are just amazing. 

I've tried once to capture such photos but unfortunately, I am living next to the city where there is big pollution and the sky is almost never clear. That's why my photos weren't successful. But when I will go on a vacation I will take my camera for sure to try once again.

It will be very nice if you share more such photos with us because I am sure that the other Local Guides will be very interested as well.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 7

Great post. Awesome idea.  Cool results 

Level 7

Thank you so much @StephenAbraham 

Click| Travel| Repeat
Level 7

Viite: Star Trail Photography with Smartphone

Thanks alot @DanniS 

You should try this for sure. The satisfaction you get after seeing the end result is on a different level.

I don't do night photography much. But I love shooting Moon and Stars when the situation permits. The toughest part is the time that it consumes and the number of trials to be made before we achieve the perfect result.

Click| Travel| Repeat
Level 7

Thank you @PoliMC

Am glad you find it informative. The pollution really makes it difficult to even dare the attempt.

And yes... It would be my pleasure to share more 🙂

Click| Travel| Repeat
Level 7

Thank u so much @Bex_eyes  🙂

Click| Travel| Repeat

Hi @Venky_lightbug,

Thanks a lot for your reply!

We will wait to share more photos with us! You can create a post with the techniques for this type photography as well. It will be very nice!