ChadSmith's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Someone keeps changing the place name

In my neighbourhood, there is a bird reserve. It's officially known as 'Bird Island'.

But someone keeps changing it to a slang name 'Bin Chicken Island'. A 'bin chicken' is a slang term for the Ibis bird, which happens to have overpopulated this bird reserve.

I originally created the place on Google Maps with the correct name, then someone changed it, so I changed it back, and now I suspect the same person has changed it again.

This is a public green space where the name is highly unlikely to change in the future. So is it possible to lock the name to the correct name of 'Bird Island'?

Bin Chicken Island, Forest Lake QLD, Australia
5 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: Someone keeps changing the place name

Hey @ChadSmith,

Thanks for reaching out. @LucioV answer is correct. A POI like the one described cannot be locked so future edits are omitted.

To me it sound like the person you are talking about is spamming Google Maps and in regards to this, we can definitely do something about.

I will reach out to you over a PM with more information.

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators

View solution in original post

Level 10

As far as I know there is no way for us to lock out a POI name.

Google sometimes, for political reasons (i.e. country borders and disputed areas) locks edits, but I think this will not receive the same attention.

Sorry, you will have to be more stubborn than this spammer.

I'm facing the same situation with a very well known brand, that changes the name continuosly, adding keywords and special characters to the name just to get more exposure. This is a chain of claimed business! I don't give up, I continue change back the names.

Level 6

Thanks for the comment.

Oh great. I see (probably the same person), has now changed the name of the local lake previously labelled as the 'Forest Lake' to now be called 'The Forest Swamp'.

As an alternative to not being able to lock a name, can Google find out using their records who this spammer is and block them from editing?

Level 10

Yes, this is something that a Googler can achieve. I will tag a couple of them that, eventually will contact you privately.

@GeorgesHR@BruceDM

Former Google Contributor
Solution

Hey @ChadSmith,

Thanks for reaching out. @LucioV answer is correct. A POI like the one described cannot be locked so future edits are omitted.

To me it sound like the person you are talking about is spamming Google Maps and in regards to this, we can definitely do something about.

I will reach out to you over a PM with more information.

Please consider reading this post before sending me a Private Message - Private Messages and Google Moderators
Level 6

Sigh. Despite the helpful assistance here, I cannot say the same through the official email channels.

It's almost as though they didn't even bother to read my detailed explanation. The response doesn't even come close to matching what I was asking.

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out!

In case of any issues on Google Maps, you can always Suggest edits to a place or flag it for removal. If you have questions about Google Earth or any other problems related to the map, please post them on Google Maps & Earth Help forum for further investigation.

Thank you,

The Local Guides Team