Kingken OSullivanM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: Some uploaded pictures not showing on maps

I have the same problem here. 
Sometimes pictures are shown in my timeline, but just do not show up at the page of the location for no obvious reason.

It would be nice, if google could fix this or even notify me, if there is something wrong with a picture.

Level 3

I am having the exact same problem. I'm going to try and post a review with the same photo on my GF's account, see if it appears then.

Google: Fix your stuff!

Level 10

I have the same problem. I added photos to a place and the count when up, but the photos did not display. Then I checked the next day and the count was back down and the photos still were not there. Seems to be specific to this map location. Other locations have added photos just fine.

Level 10

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one having this issue. I wrote about this a few times in this post. There's a way to check how many of your photos are uploaded unto Google Maps, and how many of those photos are actually attached to a POI/listing (aka made public).

You can check how many of your photos you've uploaded on Google Maps, and check how many of those photos have attached to a listing and are public using the following instructions. A screenshot of the two options are illustrated below.

Caption: The difference in photos in the 'My Contributions' tab when signed in vs. in incognito mode (public)Caption: The difference in photos in the 'My Contributions' tab when signed in vs. in incognito mode (public)Instructions

1. Open your Google Maps My Contributions link and navigate to your photos. The photo count you see is how many you've uploaded to Google Maps in total.
  2. Copy the URL of your My Contributions link while viewing your photos.
  3. Open a new private window (Incognito Window for Chrome, Private Tab/Window for Safari or Firefox) and paste the URL into the address bar.
  4. You will then see how many photos are publicly listed unto Google Maps, aka you'll see your profile as to how others view your contributions.

From some of my observations regarding the photo count over the last 12 months:

• Google My Business owners or the Maps team may delete your photo for various reasons, and this will reduce the total count, not just de-attach the photo from the listing.
  • Some photos can take a while to attach to the listing as it undergoes algorithmic verification. But from the advice I've received, if it's taken more than seven days, delete the photo and re-upload, sometimes there may be an issue with the server or the upload itself.
  • Yes, you can upload photos even to listings that already have "200+" photos, it is not an inhibiting factor.
  • The strange oddity is having your photos not being published when you're uploading to a listing that doesn't have a photo, but only a StreetView image. It's a little discouraging.

As you can see from the screenshot, about 107 photos out of 7,789 are not published. That's about 1.3% of photos. Sure, it might be quite negligible to say the least, but despite contributing in sheer numbers that might be a hundred different businesses not getting the photography and contributions they deserve, which in my previous examples include a Medical Centre or a Music Record store. 1.3% of 193 million is 2.5 million, and that's an estimate of the opportunity cost when they are not published.

This happened quite a lot in Japan, and I ensure my photos are of the most highest quality, including blurring any faces, capturing the essence of the store and uploading with a decent Internet connection. Do you think we can find a solution and help enable these unpublished photos? Or at least escalate them?

Level 10

Wow, very informative post. I found out I have 7475 photos with 6165 showing, 82%. I wonder why 18% are not being displayed. 😞

Level 5

Thanks @Briggs, great instructions and nice animated gif 🙂  I checked mine and I have 96/91 in one account and 62/45 in my other account.

Probably the reason some photos aren't being displayed is because they are not linked to a POI. But there are many of mine that are linked to a POI that aren't displayed as well.

Level 8

This problem just happened to me. I spent a day going around and taking photos of different places and hours to edit them. I uploaded the photos a while ago and now, the photos won't show up on Google Maps.

Can someone please provide a solution to this?

Former Google Contributor

Hey @Ram791 @HikingMike @dudusmaximus @Briggs @BigPajog @morgentau,

Truly sorry to hear you're all experiencing issue with uploading your photos to reflect in Google Maps. At this time, the best advice I can provide is to submit feedback via the application. I've read through this Google Maps Help Forum thread and it seems you're not alone. Please follow the thread, add your input and provide as much information as possible. I'd love if you all can respond here with any updates, and let everyone know what solution was reached. 

@Briggs your instructions were pretty spot-on. Kudos to you!

@VirtualTravelGirl glad you were able to find this thread. Please keep us posted on any progress.

We truly appreciate your patience and understand this is a frustrating situation. Thanks for working together and raising your issues here.

Level 8

Thank you for your response @ArielleM_

Level 6

I'm having the same issue with photos not showing up in POI except it's ALL of my pictures on all POI I've reviewed instead of just some as described here. Thanks.