MONDRITO's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Slums and refugee

Hi puvlinovich !

I am sorry for the post but what I mean , is actually some thing different . I love to be guided by Google policy and do not want to be deviated . The crux of my discussion was that I have seen many hapless people are simply living in the" place "which is  beyond imagination . Usually they prefer to remain visibly invisible . The place usually on the squalid bank of canal , make shift arrangements in public drainage out let , under the "cover" of fly overs or on foot paths . Of course those places are not supposed to be used as " dwelling place" but the streams really is that neither the local authority edicts them nor do their existence are being acknowledged . 

Does it by any chance fall in any category ?If the  people who work for the slum dwellers look for such information in mapping detail , should there be any scope of that ? Again I mention that the policy of Google is my first priority and love to be remained attach to it  in the true tune of the term 

Kolkata, West Bengal, India
4 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: Slums and refugee

Hi @PaulPavlinovich and @MONDRITO

There is not a specific policy for a slum or refugee camp. 

Part of the criteria for places being eligible for Google Maps is that the places should be relevant and public businesses, establishments, institutions or fixed locations.

slum or refugee camp does not fit into these categories with any complete relevancy.  If there are businesses or places in that area that are not on Google Maps, those could be considered for addition but to add the actual camp or slum itself is not permitted as this is not an establishment and is also a place that could be considered political in nature.

I am not available to respond on the weekend

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

Hi @MONDRITO there is nothing to be sorry about. Seeking information is how we learn and grow every day, there is nothing wrong with asking and I thank you for doing it - you're helping me learn this topic with you.

I had a look in the support materials and I could not find any specific guidance about refugee camps or slums, however, there certainly are some listed on Google Maps such as Moria Camp and the category "Refugee Camp" certainly exists for use.

@BruceDM do you have any guidance about adding refugee camps and other poor non civic sponsored housing villages?

Regards Paul

Solution

Hi @PaulPavlinovich and @MONDRITO

There is not a specific policy for a slum or refugee camp. 

Part of the criteria for places being eligible for Google Maps is that the places should be relevant and public businesses, establishments, institutions or fixed locations.

slum or refugee camp does not fit into these categories with any complete relevancy.  If there are businesses or places in that area that are not on Google Maps, those could be considered for addition but to add the actual camp or slum itself is not permitted as this is not an establishment and is also a place that could be considered political in nature.

Connect Moderator

You're welcome @PaulPavlinovich