Jon1989's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Should we worry about background music and copyrights when uploading videos?

I know on YouTube there are rules against uploading videos with copyrighted music.  Is that an issue and something I should be worried about for Google Maps videos?

Sometimes I record videos and the store or restaurant will have music playing in the background; do I need the artist's permission to include that music in my video?  Or is there a way to mute the audio so it isn't an issue?

Do any of you who upload videos with store music try to get written permission from the music copyright holder before uploading the video?  Is it difficult?  Is it free?  Are you able to share the documents you send them to ask for permission?

8 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 8
Solution

Re: Should we worry about background music and copyrights when uploading videos?

Hi @Jon1989

Short answer: YES, everybody who publishes any content MUST worry about rights related to it (personal, intellectual property, security,...) BUT...

...long answer: it's ok to record and publish things (pieces of art) and people that are already public or part of public area if they are not the focus / purpose of recording themselves. E.g.: you don't have to ask permission from everybody who accidentally passes in your photo but you cannot follow or identify anybody. Same, you don't have to investigate what are all the paintings and music featuring in your video if what you display is clearly just the restaurant and its atmosphere. Finally a funny example: the artwork on banknotes is protected as well. If you take picture of some to illustrate that your article is about finance, you're ok. But you can't use the images to decorate things you create (marchandise). 

I hope this helps. 

View solution in original post

Level 8

Re: Should we worry about background music and copyrights when uploading videos?

@Jon1989 As fer I concern there you are not earning from that music or video so it's​ might not be in the copyright area but yes if any one have problem about their creativity is theft like that that matter you shouldn't upload them against their permission I know that much I hope any modaratror will give you perfect answer

Level 10

@Jon1989 LG Connect is probably not the best place to address this issue. You can also submit posts about YouTube to the YouTube forum here

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/youtube

In the mean time, for  your question, yes, each of us must think about using copyrighted material when producing our own content. There are different rules around different content from different content providers. You can read more about these here. 

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6364458?hl=en

https://creatoracademy.youtube.com/page/lesson/artist-copyright

One way to get around it will be to use free-to-use music, some of which you may need to mention in your description just to attribute the creator.

YouTube has a free to use library here

https://www.youtube.com/audiolibrary/music

Level 8

If you are looking for monetization yes is the answer

Level 10

@antosmaman I don't think there any any ways to monetize Local Guides video uploads.

Level 10

@antosmaman I don't think monetization matters either.  This guy on Quora https://www.quora.com/Can-I-get-a-copyright-claim-even-if-I-dont-monetize-the-video says "it’s a copyright violation whether you make any money off of it or not."

Level 10

@StephenAbraham I'm asking about videos uploaded to Google Maps

Level 8
Solution

Hi @Jon1989

Short answer: YES, everybody who publishes any content MUST worry about rights related to it (personal, intellectual property, security,...) BUT...

...long answer: it's ok to record and publish things (pieces of art) and people that are already public or part of public area if they are not the focus / purpose of recording themselves. E.g.: you don't have to ask permission from everybody who accidentally passes in your photo but you cannot follow or identify anybody. Same, you don't have to investigate what are all the paintings and music featuring in your video if what you display is clearly just the restaurant and its atmosphere. Finally a funny example: the artwork on banknotes is protected as well. If you take picture of some to illustrate that your article is about finance, you're ok. But you can't use the images to decorate things you create (marchandise). 

I hope this helps. 

Level 10

@Jon1989 Sorry, me bad.. didn't read the post accurately. 

@Jon1989 wrote:

@StephenAbraham I'm asking about videos uploaded to Google Maps