ErmesT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: Shopping in Kraków - Fun at #EuroMeetup18

Es una creíble @ErmesT @lo que indicas, definitivamente la próxima CL19 tiene que ser en Cracovia 

Al margen del chiste si hacemos turismo es conveniente tener esa ciudad en elnintinersrio, gracias por el dato 

Farid

Connect Moderator

Lol @ErmesT Happy to know @AntonellaGr was supporting the local economy! The live musicians and street performers don’t do this for free. They need tourists Euros too. Supporting local artists is a great thing to keep art alive.

Cheers,

Karen

Google Moderator

I really enjoy how colourful your post is, @ermest!

Local markets are some of my favourite places to explore in a new city. I feel like I'd spend hours in the handicraft and folk art mall--there seem to be thousands of wonderful things. ?

I can't really think of similar street markets in Bulgaria, but I want to share a couple of photos from the Egyptian bazaar in Istanbul, Turkey. It's located in an old building, which is very easily accessible by bus, ferry, and on foot. It's also close to the Bosphorus.

Caption: A photo of a shop inside the Egyptian bazaar in Istanbul, Turkey, selling spices, Turkish delight sweets, coffee pots, and various souvenirs. (Local Guide @DeniGu)Caption: A photo of a shop inside the Egyptian bazaar in Istanbul, Turkey, selling spices, Turkish delight sweets, coffee pots, and various souvenirs. (Local Guide @DeniGu)The first thing I noticed when I entered the bazaar were the amazing scents in the air, coming from piles upon piles of spices, traditional sweets, perfumes, and whatnot. Then I saw the colours--just like in your photos, the colours were all around.

Caption: A photo of two shops inside the Egyptian bazaar in Istanbul, Turkey. The left shop has a variety of metal coffee pots and cups on display, while the shop on the right sells different spices in various colours. (Local Guide @DeniGu)Caption: A photo of two shops inside the Egyptian bazaar in Istanbul, Turkey. The left shop has a variety of metal coffee pots and cups on display, while the shop on the right sells different spices in various colours. (Local Guide @DeniGu)I didn't dare buy anything from there, though. Many shops didn't have price tags on their products, which meant that the price was negotiable. I'm not really good at haggling, so decided to just enjoy the experience, and buy souvenirs at a fixed price somewhere else. ?

Have you ever tried to bargain for the price of souvenirs, @ermest? And what did you get from the markets in Krakow? (I do agree that one more handicraft is never too much!)

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Haha, @KarenVChin 

@AntonellaGr was supporting local economy, while I was taking care of street performers. The gave me the possibility to record them, I know they are not there for fun only.

But let me add a small note. People playing music on the streets in Krakow are normally graduates of the conservatory, or teacher on the conservatory.

In the past I have seen a string quartet, with Contrabass, Cello, Viola and Violin, playing on the street. They deserve every euro they can get. On the '90, after the fall of the Berlin Wall, for a lot of teachers and conservatory students. Playing on the street, with great dignity, they were earning the money to live. I was there on the early '90, I remember very well the city center, crowded of young people, and music everywhere. I have a lot of respect for them

Connect Moderator

@ErmesT We have that here too! There used to be a guy who would sing opera in front of Macy’s Men’s Store for years. He was very good, became a local celebrity. I remember all the dollar bills he had in front of him - which was a lot green if you know what I mean 😉 It’s unfortunate or fortunate that you can make a decent living as a street performer, but it’s difficult to find one on stage.

Cheers,

Karen

Connect Moderator

Really @ErmesT do you want me to spoil half the fun by telling it all in advance? 😂 But no worries - plenty of shopping opportunities in Ghent!

And for those who can't wait to read the recap posts on that shopping: just sign up for the meetup & join us in Ghent in June.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Connect Moderator

Oh noooooo @JanVanHaver 

I don't want you to spoil what we will find in Ghent. I was looking exactly for this reply. I am already excited. #Euromeetup19 is not so far, but please don't tell me anything. I will not be able to keep the secret 🙂

Connect Moderator

Great photos, @DeniGu 

I have never been in Istambul bazar, but the one in Izmir is interesting too. It was in the pre-digital era, sorry (no photos)

Souvenir shopping in Krakow? Of Course! In the years, I bought a set of wooden plates, and some terracotta's bell. Maybe @AntonellaGr  can share some picture 🙂

I've never tried to bargain in Poland, but we did in Turkey, of course.

Let say that in all the carpets and souvenir shops (I am referring to the west coast, from Izmir to Didim, including Ephesus of course) you are expected to bargain. There is only one rule: No means No. Once you refuse the "last price" and go away, you cannot change your mind and come back to the same shop. They will never offer to you the same price

Google Moderator

I was smiling from ear to ear while reading your reply, @ErmesT. Bargaining sounds like a great experience to have and recount. 

I'll definitely remember that rule, too. I'm visiting Egypt next month, and I think it'll come in handy. 🙂

Haggling is not typical for European countries, I think. Can you negotiate prices in Italy?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

Hi @KarenVChin 

Yesssss.... I always support local economies and air companies for extra baggage 🙂 🙂 🙂

cheers

Antonella