ErmesT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Shopping in Kraków - Fun at #EuroMeetup18

Waiting for the #EuroMeetup19 in Getz, I want to share some more memories of #EuroMeetup18 - Shopping in Kraków is today subject

What happen when you visit a small, ancient and beautiful city in Europe, like Kraków is? What the Local Guides do, in a few hours of free time?

We walk on the city center, of course, taking photos, and discovering shops and street markets.

Caption - A pile of small, coloured boxes, in Kraków  market - Local Guide @ermestCaption - A pile of small, coloured boxes, in Kraków market - Local Guide @ErmesT

Old Kraków is a really a small town, that you can cross in minutes for reaching Rynek Główny - The main square, surrounded by beautiful Churches. In the center of the square, Sukiennice, the Handicraft and folk art mall, is offering a huge choice of products, like the small boxes, made in wood, of the first photo. But also (this is what I like more) a lot of amber. Necklaces, bracelets, of all sizes, are sold in many small shops. I can stay hours, watching the shops. The space is crowded, as you can see in the picture here below. Full of tourists, that are trying to buy a small piece of handicraft.

Caption - A view of Sukiennice shopping mall - Local Guide @ermestCaption - A view of Sukiennice shopping mall - Local Guide @ErmesT

In the past I worked in Kraków for many months, so these small craft products already fill my house, but it's always worth adding another. Don't you agree with me?

Caption: Handicraft products at Sukiennice  mall - Local Guide @ermestCaption: Handicraft products at Sukiennice mall - Local Guide @ErmesT

But of course, this is not the only open market in Kraków. 250 meters walk is what you need to reach Plac Szczepański. The street market in there is completely different, more for local than for tourist. What they sell in there is normally bigger, difficult to put in a luggage or in a backpack, but just as beautiful, and sometimes much more interesting.

Kraków is a city where the music is in every corner, do not be surprised to find a violin in the market stalls.

Caption: Plac Szczepański street market - Local Guide @ermestCaption: Plac Szczepański street market - Local Guide @ErmesT

I can write for hours, pages and pages, about the fun, the beauty, of the European Meet-up in Krakow, at the moment I just want to know three things:

1) I am curious about the Local guides that was with me and @AntonellaGr in Kraków: what kind of shopping did you did?  @helga19 ,  @TorM ,  @NatalkaR ,  @davide7O ,  @LudwigGermany , @barrazacarlos , @ikaramon 

2) I am curious about the 2nd European Meet-up (Ghent, Belgium) - what kind of shopping do you suggest, what will we find? @JanVanHaver 

3) I am curious about all of you, Fellow Local guides. How is your street market?

Can't wait for your Feedback. Have a walk in the music of the beautiful Kraków 

Have a fun

Caption - Good bye from KrakowCaption - Good bye from Krakow

Kraków, Polonia
21 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Shopping in Kraków - Fun at #EuroMeetup18

@ErmesT looks like you had great fun taking photos and enjoying the live music more than actually shopping!  And I never knew amber came from Poland.  

Cheers,

Karen

Level 9
Level 10

Thanks for sharing nice photos and story @ErmesT and also the very well edited movie. I was in Krakow in December 2016 but didn't spend enough time there.

My wife and I don't buy souvenirs. We like looking around, looking at history.

thanks again for sharing.

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Connect Moderator

Hehe, @KarenVChin 

Well, really we bought some small wooden box ( @AntonellaGr was shopping) while I was attracted by the colorful world all around us

Connect Moderator

Connect Moderator

Me gusto mucho el post @ErmesT , sé que al ciudad es muy turística , y la lúdica pulula en el aire por doquier, casi que sustos permanentemente a conciertos a cielo abierto.

El viedincomoleta la visión sobre la música, que tan grande es la ciudadanía Ermes.

Un gran saludos Farid

Connect Moderator

Thank you @TheEagleEye 

What have you visited in Krakow?

And more, to be back to the subject of this thread, what about street markets in Prague?

The city where you live in in my "to go soon" list, so I am very curious

Level 10

Hi @ErmesT. My wife and I only wandered the Old Town area of Krakow although our visit was cut short due to a friend of ours having an accident in Slovakia so we left Krakow to visit her.

Yes there are many markets in Prague, some open all week and others just Saturday or the whole weekend. We visit the market by the river every Saturday morning for our fruit and vegetables.

I hope you get to Prague sometime soon.

Regards.

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Connect Moderator

Yes, the tourism in Krakow is increased a lot, in the last years, @FaridTDF 

It seems that Italians are the bigger number, you can literally speak Italian, when walking in the city center.

The price for Hotel or apartments is very low, and the rooms are beautiful. With the same amount of money that we (you and me) spent for a double room in San Francisco, you can have a small apartment for four people in Krakow, at 10 minutes walking from the main square.