Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: Share your best tips for other Local Guides in the New Year here

Level 5

Don't be scared to go out there.

I started late last year in mid October coming back from one of my deployments and really wanted to get myself out there in the world rather than be stuck at base like I have been for the past 4 years. And google has helped me out with that tremendously. Going out and writing reviews as well as taking exciting photos to help out local businesses was something I felt really good about but what really drives it home for me was experiencing something new and exciting. Around my area there is not much to be discovered so it really got me out to branch into newer territories I've never even imagine that was so close to me. I made many new friends as well as got many, many exciting new pictures that I am proud of, that I even started a portfolio for all of them. This feeling of achievement and pride really help me to want to go out and keep at this everyday whenever I got an opportunity too. The adventurous experiences I had also made me a much more open-minded person because it got me out to meet more people and have an amazing time, when quite frankly if you would of ask me 4 years ago if I wanted to go out and so something new, I tell you "Hell No" but that was because I was scared. So don't be afraid to go out there and try something new and meet new people because I'm saying this now the adventure is worth it.

Level 3

I just started at the beginning of last year. I had submitted a review and picture for a local restaurant and Google informed me about 6 months after ( Feb of 2016) that the photo had THOUSANDS of views!! Which is crazy because I live in a small city with a pop of maybe 200,000 People.  So. They told me to be a guide. And honestly I love it!

One of my "tricks" is be honest. And don't be vague. Was the waitress a disaster, but the food sublime? Was the food okay, but the waiter a dream? Can they not get an order right to save their lives?? 

Another thing is hours. You have your smart phone RIGHT THERE. take a picture of the hours sign. It's really TBD. Don't want to waste data? Take the picture and find the location at home using wifi later 😉

Level 5

Greetings from New Zealand. To be honest I have slacked off, but I will start picking it up again ASAP. There are plenty of new buildings and establishments in Christchurch, as the city is rebuilding after the earthquakes in 2010/11.

I will be covering those ASAP 🙂 

Happy New Year to all.

Level 2

@BellaW wrote:

As Local Guides, you’re the explorers who share daily discoveries on Google Maps, from reviewing great lunch picks to photographing lesser known parks and other beautiful finds near you. While connected by a mission to make it easier (and tastier!) to navigate the world, each of you contributes in your own way. To celebrate all these efforts and kick off 2017, we’re compiling a list of your best tips from the past year.

On this post, share your insights into:

• Taking great photos
  • Writing helpful, detailed reviews
  • Adding hidden or great new places
  • Answering questions
  • Tracking down missing and incorrect information (editing a place)

Feel free to add anecdotes and inspiring stories about any of your favorite local finds and give kudos to anything added here that you find helpful

p.s. Check out our in-house photo expert @AnnaDickson’s tips on how to upload great photos to Google Maps.

end-of-year-celebration-950x475 (1).png

Honored to be part of this great comunity. A comunity of friends. Onwards in the new year 2017!

Level 3

A few tips from me:

1) take pictures of everything! Store fronts, shelves, food, parking lots and structures, anything and everything. More people get their information on a place via the web and their smartphone than anywhere else. When you take and upload pics, it helps people get a better view of the places they are deciding to go to. 

2) answer the questions about places that pop up, and correct misinformation. Again, people are relying on the information you and others post to make decisions. 

3) finally, have fun and take pride in what you are doing. You are a virtual local guide. These places are your town, your community, your friends and neighbors. Show people why you love the places in your community. 

Level 3

Happy new year 2017

Level 3

Hello,

The best tip I can give is to enjoy places you go first, and take pictures /review /use your phone second. Don't be to distracted while you are enjoying the place, it's easy to forget why you're there when all you think of is angles, light and review. Your family will thank you for it.

Level 7

I feel that highlighting the great local spots and also being honest are must haves for any community. As guides though we should be willing to try a place a few times in order to really give an honest review. Adding a few well placed pictures can speak a thousand words too, and it gives those of us a visual of what's on the menu too!

@BellaW wrote:

As Local Guides, you’re the explorers who share daily discoveries on Google Maps, from reviewing great lunch picks to photographing lesser known parks and other beautiful finds near you. While connected by a mission to make it easier (and tastier!) to navigate the world, each of you contributes in your own way. To celebrate all these efforts and kick off 2017, we’re compiling a list of your best tips from the past year.

On this post, share your insights into:

• Taking great photos
  • Writing helpful, detailed reviews
  • Adding hidden or great new places
  • Answering questions
  • Tracking down missing and incorrect information (editing a place)

Feel free to add anecdotes and inspiring stories about any of your favorite local finds and give kudos to anything added here that you find helpful

p.s. Check out our in-house photo expert @AnnaDickson’s tips on how to upload great photos to Google Maps.

end-of-year-celebration-950x475 (1).png

Level 7

As a Local Guide, I have to include photos of each location I review because sometimes words to me are just not enough to describe a great experience at a location. I try to include details about my visits short but in a relative manner where it too produces more reviews by others and makes me want to comeback to find something out I may of missed about that place.