BellaWi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: Share your best tips for other Local Guides in the New Year here

• Taking great photos
    • I think any photo is better than no photo, however, a good photo is the difference between just taking one and conveying somethin meaningful. When I take photos, I try to convey something that might not be apparent, or show something that someone might be interested in. Also, if the location is hard to find, a photo showing of what someone will be looking for when trying to find a place can also be valuable.
  • Writing helpful, detailed reviews
    • Often times you find very simillar reviews from several other people. Obviously it's difficult to always be original in your review, but try to talk about things which were particular to your experience. Mention details where possible, like favourite dish, an outstanding staff member or a "hidden gem" that people might normally miss.
  • Adding hidden or great new places
    • It's difficult for google itself to maintain an update listing of everything that's out there, so that's why it's important to contribute to the accuracy of listings. When you find a new location that isn't on maps yet, take the time to add it.
  • Answering questions
    • Most recently, we saw google pointing out locations that are wheelchair accessible. Details like these that are asked in questions go far beyond what a review or photo can convey, so answering these questions can be just as valuable as a review or picture.
  • Tracking down missing and incorrect information (editing a place)
    • Who's been there? You look up hours for a store/restaurant, get there to find that they're closed :(. Helping to maintain accuracy of information will be a huge help to others, so this also can be of great value along a good review or photo.
Level 2

OK!

For me, the most important thing is a detailed review. Photos are great of course, but nothing better than a review with all experience details, the smaller things...

Level 2

At the moment i have no tips tbh..i am new to this..if possible you give me some tips..

But your doing a great job

Level 6

Of course. Don't worry about quality of your camera. Be aware of your abilities, because when you have none of them, even the best camera of the world will not be able to help you when you will not be able to use its full possibilities.

@YK1001 wrote:

For Mappers at Level 0 [  Once signon with a Google Accont in Maps, we can contribute without joining the Local Guides program.]

- Thank you very much for your contributions!  Once you join the Local Guides program, all of your prior contribution will be recognized!

- The most significant benefit of becoming a Local Guides is to join our Connect forum!

For LGs at Level 1/2

- Come and Join us at Connect

- Try out the 5 different ways to contribute to Maps

- Start with contributions that is most helpful to YOU personally - certainly many of us will also find them helpful 

For LGs at Level 3

- To know more about the LG program.  What kinds of benefits are waiting for you to unlock

- Keep doing what you like to do most

- Know the difference between Good and Bad contents.

- Raise your standard from contributing Acceptable Content to Good Content.

- Flagging Bad contents definites helps, but the effect might be visible only after long long time....

- Connect more with other LGs.  Tell people why it is good to become a LG.

- You will be entitled to register for more Google Hosted events.  Thus stay connected at Connect Forum, you will konw more about the upcoming events.

For LGs at Level 4

- The very first is to got your Drive Benefit redeemed.  Even you decided not to use it personally, you CAN donate it to others.

- Konw the restrictions and what will happen when the Drive benetfis expires.

- Know the difference between Level 5 and Level 4. 

- Think about what is more beneficial to your community.

- Ask yourself what next

For LGs at Level 5

- I am sure you find some meaning in the LG program.

- Think about how to make the LG program even better

- Think about how to make the Maps ecosystem even more helpful to more users

- Think about how to help more to become better LGs

Level 8
Moved:

Level 4

Keep it as honest as possible. If you have a great time be as enthusiastic as possible in your review! If you had a horrible time be as honest as you can without being degrading or mean. Take pictures of every place that you do a review for. Believe me people look at them. Remember to have fun we're not doing this as a job we're doing this because we love giving our opinions about places!

Level 5

I like to write reviews based on what I want to know about a place. My focus is on food so I always take pictures of the food so I know what to expect when I go somewhere. I personally care less about how a place looks because that to me is similar to "judging a book by its cover." I tend to focus and care more about the experience which would be different depending on the person.  

The pictures should be emphasize the personality of the place. Just my two cents 😃 

Level 2

Whoa didn't know you could do that!

@Kazem987 wrote:

hi - I try to add place with a live photo. this is best way to make map really useful.

Level 3

I am rather new to the whole local guide and map editing, and I am glad that I can contribute this way.

Unfortunately contribution isn't as easy in my country (Iran) as in other countries. Due to the American embargo on trades (or something that I am not aware of), some of Google features are restricted in Iran, most important of all, the location history, which lack of it seriously impedes functionality of certain Google apps and services, including maps in general and contribution in particular.

I hope someday restriction be lifted and all Iranian contributers be able to leverage all features to make maps great.

Cheers,

Ali

Level 3
Level 3

If I'm taking a picture of a business, I'll snap a picture of their front door, with their posted hours, and any other signs, like if they have special offers for groups or charitable organizations. A place I went to yesterday has specials on certain days of the week. I might even post a picture of their neighbors if they are in a strip mall, so it might be easier to find them when driving by.