BellaWi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Re: Share your best tips for other Local Guides in the New Year here

This is my first post into this forum. Still getting situated and figuring things out. I really love that I can contribute to others knowledge about places. 

Look forward to connecting with other local guides in the future and leading some local get togethers at some point. 

Hampton Roads VA to Harrisburg PA and everywhere in between! 

Kimberly 

Level 3

Tips:

• Don't answer a question unless you are sure it is correct!
  • Only add clear pictures (non-blurry) this can generate a lot of views
  • Leave a meaningful review. Don't know what to say? Just leave stars.

I really like what Google is doing with this!

Finally the Google Maps reviews are put to some use and it feels more rewarding to fill them in.

Level 2

@AliS wrote:

I am rather new to the whole local guide and map editing, and I am glad that I can contribute this way.

Unfortunately contribution isn't as easy in my country (Iran) as in other countries. Due to the American embargo on trades (or something that I am not aware of), some of Google features are restricted in Iran, most important of all, the location history, which lack of it seriously impedes functionality of certain Google apps and services, including maps in general and contribution in particular.

I hope someday restriction be lifted and all Iranian contributers be able to leverage all features to make maps great.

Cheers,

Ali

I think that's something imposed by your country not the US or any trade sanctions. Just my opinion of course..

Level 2

Thanks & best wish for 2017...!!!

Thank you BellaW for your encouragements, I think 2017 will be more productive because there is a lot to do here in my place…!!! Best wish, Severo.

Level 3

I like to talk about places I visit as if I were talking to someone else, I think that gives a more friendly tone to the message.
I think it is very important that the photographs have good lighting, avoiding shadows or very strong backlight glow. If possible I take a general overview picture of the location and another detail, this helps the people to locate in the context of the place.
I always try to highlight the most relevant of a place, always using a positive and constructive language. I also warn about the features that I think can be improved.
It is interesting to cover new places and even have no review on Google to help others know about it.

Level 3

Well, allot of people already give useful tips here! so better check every reply in this post!

but from me, for:

• Taking great photos: Well, maybe you didn't have a good taste, but it's all based experienced and how many references you already see. see allot magazine, especially travel and architecture magazine, it does help you to get a great sense and taste when taking pictures. And like many people say, you didn't need high-end camera or top-end smartphone, because there is many apps for enhanced your picture... my favorite is Adobe Lightroom, Snapseed, and VSCO which is very useful and have a lot feature for cropping, noise reduction, and color balance adjustment.
    one more thing, bring action-cam if you can. due ultra wide angle lens, you can capture places that have tight & cramped, like when you book tiny room from a budget hotel, or small (or very-very small) alley that you go through. Many cheap action cam is producing great photos, like Brica B-Pro5 (I use this), or The famous SJ4000/SJ5000, GoPro and Xiaomi YiCam.

• Writing helpful, detailed reviews: I actually write reviews that so detailed, feels like I'm writing a journal! but, better tried to shorten everything in few simple sentece rather explain like J.K Rowling in Harry Potter series. Also, tried to review small things that often missed, like how good the shampoo and soap, or how dusty the towel/under bed is, not just take a photo of dead roach in shower and say the hotel is bad. Because those small things help people to decide whether want to stay or they bring extra thing if they decided to stay there. is also help the management to improved their quality in services. 

• Adding hidden or great new places: Add few Minimart, Gas Stations, or even some dinners that not added to maps is a great start for every beginner. because it does help people when find location due they often refer this places as pin point. Review it and take front face of the store is already a good start. and try to fill as much as detail that you can get.

I think that from me. hope it's help you all! sorry if there is allot wrong grammar in there.

love, 
Aditya SJ - Indonesia

Level 2

I am glad to be part of this community I always being a big contributor offline. Know I am Level 2 and going up the levels. 

Level 3

Happy New Year! it is always great to be of assistance to all those who use maps. I love this.

Level 2

Hi!

Best tips for taking photos lets say anywhere...?!

I recommend just getting that phone/camera ready for anything... adopt or create a style in which you take your shots in that particular way/reason/feeling and go with the flow. Take as many shots possible because one out of many will be your great photo. 😃

Level 4

اللهم صل وسلم على نبينا محمد وعلى آله وصحبه وسلم تسليما كثيرا