BellaWi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Giving Landscape Photos Scale

I find giving photos scale can be a challenge because the world of landscapes is very random. Only one tip.

For the big colossal landscapes, try to find a smaller object/person that could give some sense of size.

Glacier Bay, AlaskaGlacier Bay, Alaska

White Pass Yukon RouteWhite Pass Yukon Route

Same applies for smaller areas.

Area around the Fort Edmonton Foot BridgeArea around the Fort Edmonton Foot Bridge

Level 6

Re: Share your best tips for other Local Guides in the New Year here

Taking a great photo is almost luck, but its still not enough...cropping and color enhancing can make a cloudy day and terrible picture one of your best photos! Color is your best friend...

Level 7

Thanks, SampsonF, for sending the link, the golden ratio is

@YK1001 wrote:

Hi @iyudhi, a broken link reported in your reply.

@HansGeorgOswald, that post can be find here

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Photography/Photo-Tip-Rule-of-Thirds-and-Golden-Ratio/m-p/808

fascinating.

Level 8

Buryatia is very beautiful place to live, and there's so many objects that don't represented on GMaps. It's really helpful and easy to add the places, share the photos - you just doing it automatically, when you appear in some new place and you have enough time to take a shot. Despite the fact that in my region there are places where there is not enough tourists, my photos and reviews watching a lot of people, including local. I recently moved to a small area, and add the object by object. The benefits of this is undeniable, and a lot of time and effort is not necessary. I wrote about my experience in my blog, please take a look (posted in russian). Good luck!

Level 3

Take pics and write descriptions from your own, unique perspective. Try to help people see the world the way you do. Look for the wonderful in the world, the miraculous in the mundane. Use dictionaries and thesauruses, but make sure your wording still reflects your own, unique voice. And keep it simple. 

Level 4

Im a brazilian local guide, i started contribuing because i love Google things and there are few people who update the map in my city. I Hope one day visit the Google in Mountain view Califórnia. So lets start 2017 sharing the world in Google maps

Level 2

Add the photo to the map is the best way to contribute

Level 5

My journey as a Local Guide started all on a sudden. I had some photos of different places in and around my university campus. It was one of my favorite ways to pass my downtime, a break from my busy laboratory work. There were many photos in google map, contributors have made it so great, but everyone sees things differently. So one day, I went through my collection and posted my first photo. 

I always believed that a photo can express thousand words. That is why, more than 75% of my posts till date is photos. It is such a delight to see that my photo comes first on a google map search, or when I think it helped millions of map users to know about a place before they see for the first time. 

Once my friend asked me, when there are already so many photos in the google map, what else can I add?
While this is true, you can still stand out simply by posting the way you see it. I posted two photos for my Local Tim Hortons (coffee shop). I posted a photo of outside and about a week later, I was there again. When I was about to leave the place with my coffee, I took a photo of the shelf they put take-away items. As I posted the second one, to my amazement there was a kick in the number of views. Now it has 10 times more views than the first one. Even if you are not thinking of boosting the number of views all the time, this indicates that a photo that describe details can go a long way. People may already know how a Tim Hortons looks like from outside, but they may have missed the fact that their local cafe has so many beautiful mugs to offer! 

Tim Hortons_Cote des Neiges.jpg  tims 2.JPG
In and out: a photo that tells some not-so-known inside story about a place can gain significant popularity in google maps.

Once you start, you will be hooked on in no time. Take out your camera, play with angles, post a photo and be the guide to millions. Let the world know your locality the way you see it!
Happy LocalGuiding!

Level 1

New year resolution to share most of all famous location near by me to google local guid community.

like to improve the quality of local guide.

Level 3

Great idea! My only tips would be to be honest while writing a review, and add details that might be important to others but not easily available online. 

As a Travel Writer, I try to give details and add pictures, whihc is why often my reviews are long-ish! Haha

Pictures mean a lot when looking up a place on the map, so add as many pictures you can.