BellaWi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Re: Share your best tips for other Local Guides in the New Year here

Photography, is all about the lighting, photographers taking lighting for granted, but a great photo always start with good lighing. Devil's Lake State Park, WisconsinDevil's Lake State Park, Wisconsin

Level 7

• Taking great photos

Look for something that captures the place, a sign with the place name, unique feature, easily recognisable frame... all will help

• Writing helpful, detailed reviews

Keep it simple and cover what you have actually experienced, don't make it up. If you stayed in a hotel but did not use the gym, do not review the gym. Others will prpbably cover that.

• Adding hidden or great new places

Don't ignore a place just because it does not show up on Map, write a private review and post it later

• Answering questions

Stay on point.

• Tracking down missing and incorrect information (editing a place)
Level 7

I love traveling,so being a local guide is natural to me.I live in India,precisely Bengaluru.I love my city,I have seen the city grow and extending to the outskirts.So many new restaurants,malls,shops,business..etc. Few tips would be:

1.Keep it real-I do love amazing edits but I also personally believe keeping it real will help people immensely.I love showing people  the real picture of what a place would look like from the outside because it will help them find exactly what they are looking for.

2.Try taking pictures of timings,notice boards and hoardings of a place if available.This portrays the place as authentic and provides information which people might need.I remember taking a picture of the list of services a diagnostic facility provides and I am happy to say more people view it as they know what they would be offered at that place without actually going there.

3.Add new places(big or small) and verify places that have shut down.

4.Keep Editing-name of place,phone numbers,address,websites-Even though the GPS is like almost 100%,sometimes few places can still be showing the wrong location.

5.Love your job as a guide-Every time I write a review or upload a picture,I have always felt like a tourist guide helping viewers to understand places better,tell them how it would be and literally guide them by writing honest reviews and posting the exact pictures.

Above all,Thank you Google Maps for this new profession of mine that I love doing ,for me to explore and for you guys to improve 🙂

Level 7

@BellaW wrote:

As Local Guides, you’re the explorers who share daily discoveries on Google Maps, from reviewing great lunch picks to photographing lesser known parks and other beautiful finds near you. While connected by a mission to make it easier (and tastier!) to navigate the world, each of you contributes in your own way. To celebrate all these efforts and kick off 2017, we’re compiling a list of your best tips from the past year.

On this post, share your insights into:

• Taking great photos
  • Answering questions

Feel free to add anecdotes and inspiring stories about any of your favorite local finds and give kudos to anything added here that you find helpful

p.s. Check out our in-house photo expert @AnnaDickson’s tips on how to upload great photos to Google Maps.

@BellaW wrote:

As Local Guides, you’re the explorers who share daily discoveries on Google Maps, from reviewing great lunch picks to photographing lesser known parks and other beautiful finds near you. While connected by a mission to make it easier (and tastier!) to navigate the world, each of you contributes in your own way. To celebrate all these efforts and kick off 2017, we’re compiling a list of your best tips from the past year.

• Taking great photos
  • Answering questions

Feel free to add anecdotes and inspiring stories about any of your favorite local finds and give kudos to anything added here that you find helpful

p.s. Check out our in-house photo expert @AnnaDickson’s tips on how to upload great photos to Google Maps.

end-of-year-celebration-950x475 (1).png

Actually im a new in Local Guide, but im try to share the best from me to other. I am from Indonesia. I try to tell everything what im doing on a place. Like in bar, first how about parking area, its a free or not, there is a parkingman or not. And than how about eksterior of that hot, than interior, and the waitress. In bar i try to tell about the taste of food and drink there in my review. I hope it can help other

Thanks,

Level 7

Ok yes tips for the great contribution would be, don't be over critical to the point your review looks like a review that came from someone who is out to destroy or discredit the business reputation of a particular business. We are only human, mistakes will happen don't base your experience on a certain individuals mistake. Take it all in first and make your review an informative one. Thanks people and Google your contributions are groundbreaking, and there is a certain quote I'm thinking "with ultimate power comes ultimate responsibility." so don't, please don't be too harsh we are only human.

Level 2

Google has given best platform where actual end users will guide the place without biasing.

@BellaW wrote:

• Taking great photos
  • Answering questions

end-of-year-celebration-950x475 (1).png

Level 3
Level 3

Hi I'm new on here. 

I'm a bit sarcastic especially when I'm tired or hungry. 

It's says share my best tip...  I haven't been tipped yet being a Google local guide, however if I do ever get a tip I will gladly share it on a drink in E20 UK. 

Will keep you posted when I do, happy guiding folks 🙂 

Level 3

I really believe that good, quality, writing in a review is important. So many reviewers rate only with stars or just write a couple of words about a place they've been to. A few words doesn't give people everything they need in order to evaluate whether they want to invest time and money on going somewhere. I would encourage people to invest in a review so that people seeking out the place can actually make a decision from what you've said. It also helps the place you are reviewing. If the place is really good and has good service, then say why you feel this way. The owners benefit from it, too. They deserve to have a "high 5" for doing a good job and being told why you think they are doing a good job.  The same would be true if you are rating a place that wasn't so good. Write constructive criticism so the owners can have a chance to correct anything that you felt wasn't so good. Guide reviews are for helping everyone, so a simple "this place is great" or "this place is terrible" doesn't really do much to give people an idea of the place. Secondly, always take good photos. I find that my photos that are the most looked at are the outside photos of the establishment. People like to have a visual of what they are looking when they want to go to some place new. A photo or two of the outside of the establishment is super helpful in finding exactly where you want to go. 

Level 4

so...what happens when my drive space benefit expires?

Level 3

I always try to capture the ambiance of a place instead of just "taking a picture", I find that preserving the memory of how you felt when you you were somewhere is a much better "filter" for my pictures then any other.

there is also a lot to be said about technique as well, playing with lights and perspective as a way to convey emotion also give a great final output.