BellaWi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: Share your best tips for other Local Guides in the New Year here

hallo everyone. I join the Local Guides on December 30, 2016. at the moment it certainly still level 1 and I have no desire to contribute to advance Google Maps is that often an error, because I feel it. with my willpower that is somehow according to you guys sooner or later on January 2, I reached level 3. I willingly around the town I to reorganize and correct errors in Google Maps. I stayed in Probolinggo, East Java, Indonesia. I continue to give reviews, add photos, edit place, add a place. eventually also on this day the 14th of January I reached level 5 and have a lot of the places I visited to develop my city. I get a lot of experience on my effort. This may not be too helpful to me but it certainly is beneficial for all others of the contribution we as a Local Guides. Let's contribute to your city

Level 3

My suggestion to everyone who contributes to maps is to be as accurate as possible, be honest and be patient. This is extremely relevant , specially when someone reviewing hotels (I do that a lot). If possible one can take few shots of the places which captures relevent details which could be helpful for the readers/viewers whenever they stumble on your reviews. Never be shy of correcting your contribution whenever you find better or more accurate information in future.

Level 4

What important for me to take photos is to make them interested and enjoyable for a long time.

So when I go somewhere and take photos, I always imagine what kind of images my photos can give people who actually see them. If the subject is food, I would like to express the joy of eating. If it is a building, I want to reflect its natural appearance and atmosphere and so on...

Level 8

flee free to express yourself. add the places that are not in the map. upload photos & write reviews. in very simple word, explore the world around you where ever you go...

Level 7

Thanks for sharing good information. I clicked on the link about the Golden Ratio, but it lead nowhere.

@IvanY wrote:
  • Taking great photos
  • Writing helpful, detailed reviews
    • Tell your experience. Write it so the person reading your review can have a vivid experience of the place even if they've never been there
  • Adding hidden or great new places
    • Pay attention to places with 'Grand opening' sign. Most of the cases those places aren't on Maps yet, so it's your chance to add them 🙂
  • Answering questions
    • Don't force it, as sometimes it can get overwhelming and never ends. Answer as much as you feel comfortable. If there are still more you're probably going to be asked again later
  • Tracking down missing and incorrect information (editing a place)
    • Incorporate it into your daily activities. When you have dinner outside, take a quick glance on Maps to see if there's any missing info. While waiting for your food, you can fix them. Unless if you're on a date. Talk to your date 😛

Level 3

Take crisp, clear images for others. Always be capturing the moments around you and things that are interesting. No information is bad information! 

Level 7

How I review a restaurant visit

When I visit a restaurant, I try to have a open mind for the uniqueness of every place. I take my time and walk around. I usally always pick up a business card or a flyer. I try to take a picture of the menu at the entrance. Every place has a special secret, a local ethnic food, a special crowd, a family history or unique style of architecture, furniture. To me, the staff is most important. Since I served as a waiter by myself, I made it my habit to respect the staff and to be friendly guest at the reataurant as well as in my comments in the review. Mostly the staff is doing a great job. As you see, I put the emphasis on the good things rather than the bad. When it comes to food, the actual taste, the inner quality and freshness of the ingredients is the most important to me. Also important: Always ask questions when you order a meal or drinks. Also: Don´t be satisfied with every recommendation. Ask for a better table, a better wine, a special side dish and so on. This way, the host has a chance to present himself from his best side, and your review will be a worthful information for potential visitors.

@BellaW wrote:

As Local Guides, you’re the explorers who share daily discoveries on Google Maps, from reviewing great lunch picks to photographing lesser known parks and other beautiful finds near you. While connected by a mission to make it easier (and tastier!) to navigate the world, each of you contributes in your own way. To celebrate all these efforts and kick off 2017, we’re compiling a list of your best tips from the past year.

On this post, share your insights into:

• Taking great photos
  • Writing helpful, detailed reviews
  • Adding hidden or great new places
  • Answering questions
  • Tracking down missing and incorrect information (editing a place)

Feel free to add anecdotes and inspiring stories about any of your favorite local finds and give kudos to anything added here that you find helpful

p.s. Check out our in-house photo expert @AnnaDickson’s tips on how to upload great photos to Google Maps.

end-of-year-celebration-950x475 (1).png

worth reading.

Level 5

take photos, whatever the place, the moment, the camera. you'll always find something worth sharing, that improves maps and user experience  🙂

Level 7

Become a local guide is a fun job, because I am working as a surveyor in the field that every hour move from one location to another location. While work, I also contribute in Maps, i think every single review or where we add a place, its thousand benefits for many people.

I have a pocket camera and action camera  that sometimes I use to take photos, but I think using a smartphone is much more time efficient. Its not about your camera quality, but is about how you take a photos with beautiful look and inspired to all people.

This is very useful tips for you:

1. Use a GPS application status provided by many developers and download free in Play Store, it really helps the accuracy of the location on your phone.

2. Use Panorama mode for shooting scenery, Manual focus mode to photograph food, and if you relax and not busy, use mini tripod to take long exposure shots to photograph beaches, waterfalls, and light trails, HDR too. Using a phone?, yes you can do manual shot with your phone now.

3. In my country there is a place sometimes in remote villages without internet signal, how do we add a place in these locations?, The answer is easy, turn continue Maps and don't close or use another aplication in your phone. Let him detect the location of us, at you are stop from one place to another place, use Stars to mark your route before, every stars serves as a sign to the street you passed. When you add a place when no signals, just click as usual when you are sure the right position, screenshot and save the image in your gallery. Then, when you come home and find good signal, you just open the screenshot images in your gallery, look then input the geocode and add it to Maps. 

So thanks, funds may be useful.
Greetings from Indonesia.

Level 2

My tips for other human.. 

Don't think to much, just share, and give a lil bit describe about the place. 

That's it.