BellaWi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: Share your best tips for other Local Guides in the New Year here

Yes I'm still at L3. Adding daily contributions is probably the best way to move forward. Guess patience is is own reward  Cheers at be a happy local guide.

@YK1001 wrote:

For Mappers at Level 0 [  Once signon with a Google Accont in Maps, we can contribute without joining the Local Guides program.]

- Thank you very much for your contributions!  Once you join the Local Guides program, all of your prior contribution will be recognized!

- The most significant benefit of becoming a Local Guides is to join our Connect forum!

For LGs at Level 1/2

- Come and Join us at Connect

- Try out the 5 different ways to contribute to Maps

- Start with contributions that is most helpful to YOU personally - certainly many of us will also find them helpful 

For LGs at Level 3

- To know more about the LG program.  What kinds of benefits are waiting for you to unlock

- Keep doing what you like to do most

- Know the difference between Good and Bad contents.

- Raise your standard from contributing Acceptable Content to Good Content.

- Flagging Bad contents definites helps, but the effect might be visible only after long long time....

- Connect more with other LGs.  Tell people why it is good to become a LG.

- You will be entitled to register for more Google Hosted events.  Thus stay connected at Connect Forum, you will konw more about the upcoming events.

For LGs at Level 4

- The very first is to got your Drive Benefit redeemed.  Even you decided not to use it personally, you CAN donate it to others.

- Konw the restrictions and what will happen when the Drive benetfis expires.

- Know the difference between Level 5 and Level 4. 

- Think about what is more beneficial to your community.

- Ask yourself what next

For LGs at Level 5

- I am sure you find some meaning in the LG program.

- Think about how to make the LG program even better

- Think about how to make the Maps ecosystem even more helpful to more users

- Think about how to help more to become better LGs

Level 3

I only just made level 3, so I'm still pretty new at this, but I have found the ability to contribute to Google Maps really cool. The only thing that might make it better would be G+ integration to allow you to check-in at places (post to G+), as well as following other reviewers on G+. I used to use an app called Yelp that had features like this, and it added a nice sense of community. 

That aside;

As far as photos are concerned, just try to upload ones that show a place in the way a normal person would see it. Fancy far-shots or shots from an angle other than the one people are allowed to approach a building aren't that useful when trying to recognise something. It can be the difference between night and day.

For reviews, I'd say make sure you reflect on a place without any intellectual dishonesty. Often I see reviews that read more like feedback reports about one experience that should have been sent directly to the business owner if something was to be done about it. Sometimes such reviews even include the line "I could make 5-stars if...". These sorts of reviews don't really help form a holistic view of a place. Instead, a review should be an up-to-date account of what to expect from a place. If you only go somewhere once, be sure to elaborate on that fact ("When I was served here today, my food was good/bad", rather than "This place serves good/bad food"). If you consider yourself a regular, maybe then you're in a position to start talking about the general state of customer service, type of patrons, etc. ("I come here often, and the staff are always so kind"). Remember, you can always update your review. When you go to a place additional times, be sure to quickly check if your review still accurately reflects your overall experience with a place. 

Level 8

I like taking photos of myself alone, with friends and families. I like taking photos of places and beautiful sceneries. I love sharing my photos on social medias and I believe this helped and continuous to help people to have visual insight of places. I am proud to be part of #LocalGuide and contribute to this wonderful family of exploration. I would like to continue contributing by adding photos of places, ratings and reviews on businesses because I believe these help people to make decision. I encourage others to participate in the exploration and benefit others. Let is make 2017 another year of exploration!

Review to aware, dare to be fair, care to share
Level 8

Opinions differ on review styles, but when I am using Google Maps, I am usually using my mobile device and am looking for a quick read about the place.  However, I do enjoy reading vivid and even entertaining reviews, especially when I am making plans ahead of time.

So if you are looking for tips on HOW to write the best reviews, I guess that just "depends" on what your reader is looking for or what mood they are in.  Are they planning ahead or are they on the move and just need a quick couple of lines.

My suggestion is to include a really short couple of lines with the highlights of the place and then elaborate more below that if you want to paint a vivid picture.  

Maybe Google can include some sort of feature or tagging method so the reader can decide which mood they are in... do I need a quick review or do I want to research and get vivid details, etc.

Level 8

My biggest tip for people who photograph public buildings:

Take pictures of cornerstones, plaques, and other identifying historical information as the third, fourth, etc.  photo you contribute to Google Maps!

An orientation view for the average Maps user is key, of course. If you're the first non-StreetView photographer to document a place, that's critical. After the first couple, a lot of people like knowing more about the building. This is easiest if you're on foot (and probably alone, unless you have understanding friends).

A note on plaques with the names of architects, administrators, elected officials, etc.: please make sure your contrast is set well on the text so the information is easy to read.

Level 1

Trying new places is always fun and exciting and local guide is an awesome way to share your experiences. I feel there is such an awesome sense of community here and i would love to help anyone develop there writing! Here its to a new year and great community!

Level 8

Another thing I try to do while I am visiting places is to make note of the little things that I discovered but no one told me until it was too late.

For example - valet parking is provided for $5 but the lines are really long so get there early or park yourself in the parking garage right across the street for $5.

Then I make sure I add this information to my review.

Level 2

I love taking pictures of my food, and sharing it with others. So I decided why not post them for many others to see. So basically my tip is just love and Do It. That's what it is all about.

@BellaW wrote:

As Local Guides, you’re the explorers who share daily discoveries on Google Maps, from reviewing great lunch picks to photographing lesser known parks and other beautiful finds near you. While connected by a mission to make it easier (and tastier!) to navigate the world, each of you contributes in your own way. To celebrate all these efforts and kick off 2017, we’re compiling a list of your best tips from the past year.

On this post, share your insights into:

• Taking great photos
  • Writing helpful, detailed reviews
  • Adding hidden or great new places
  • Answering questions
  • Tracking down missing and incorrect information (editing a place)

Feel free to add anecdotes and inspiring stories about any of your favorite local finds and give kudos to anything added here that you find helpful

p.s. Check out our in-house photo expert @AnnaDickson’s tips on how to upload great photos to Google Maps.

end-of-year-celebration-950x475 (1).png

@BellaW wrote:

As Local Guides, you’re the explorers who share daily discoveries on Google Maps, from reviewing great lunch picks to photographing lesser known parks and other beautiful finds near you. While connected by a mission to make it easier (and tastier!) to navigate the world, each of you contributes in your own way. To celebrate all these efforts and kick off 2017, we’re compiling a list of your best tips from the past year.

On this post, share your insights into:

• Taking great photos
  • Writing helpful, detailed reviews
  • Adding hidden or great new places
  • Answering questions
  • Tracking down missing and incorrect information (editing a place)

Feel free to add anecdotes and inspiring stories about any of your favorite local finds and give kudos to anything added here that you find helpful

p.s. Check out our in-house photo expert @AnnaDickson’s tips on how to upload great photos to Google Maps.

end-of-year-celebration-950x475 (1).png

Level 8

better you ask for permission before taking a photo of someone's business, otherwise you may fall out with the owner

Level 8

Photos - when I visit a place like a large medical complex or college campus where they may have only one street address, I usually add a picture of the actual building or parking garage I am visiting and make sure to label it with the place you were looking for when you went there the first time.

Adding new places - along the same lines as my comment above.  It's ok to have multiple "places" on Google Maps for individual businesses or destinations.  

My example:  I recently visited a large medical complex and had to find a specific building for an appointment.  When I arrived at the address, I had NO idea which building I needed to go to or even where the closest parking was.  I made note of this and took pictures of the building and of the parking garage and added them as "places" on Google Maps.

Again - try and think about things you were surprised with or had to figure out on your own when you showed up.