BellaWi's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 3

Re: Share your best tips for other Local Guides in the New Year here

My first & top priority in contributions to Local Guides, is to take & add photos of  existing local places on Google Maps that haven't got even a single photo of them documented on GoogleMaps. So I have a checklist, on my phone, on which i have outlined names (in random order of significance) of places / locations that i need to take & add photos of them. So when i'm on commute and i happen to pass that location, i just take out my cellphone and try my best to take good photos of the place from different angles. Check! on my list. Also i add photos to places that already have photos which are not satisfying and informative enough. Then, i also strive to add new locations (along with photos) of significant places in my town that (unfortunately) have not been existing on Google Maps to help visitors and other people pre-discover the places on Google Maps. It's my passion to contribute to information "sea" to help other people. I enjoy doing this. Thanks to Google & team for allowing contribution of such valuable information from your users. 

Level 5

Hi, I really enjoy editing my local areas... I'm disappointed I can't add new buildings, edit routes etc. I would love to properly add shopping malls (their structure of places) or missing known buildings, but I suppose it's reserved for Google employees (in my area no changes). 😞

Currently I have almost 900 points. Some of them are really big, serious changes; some other - minor things like name or changing coordinates. For sure I have a big contribution to my local area, there were many things to correct. I'm doing what I can, but it's harder now, because most of the data to correct or confirm force me to visit the specific place and check it by myself (like working hours or if it's still operational at all).

My best tip for reviewing: don't spare words. I like to write detailed reviews if I really want to review something and I have some emotions related to particular place.
Best tip for editing: checking randomly particular services; being aware that some places might not be added to the Maps.

Level 8

My biggest tip is to tell your friends about the program! It's stunning how many people DON'T know about the program, how easy it is, or that there are so many perks to participating. Mapping your community is a whole lot easier when you aren't doing it alone 🙂

Level 6

Live photos? that's a great idea. What do you use? An Android or iPhone? How do you do it?

Level 4

I guess it's more of an interest for me. When I enjoy a place, I wish more people would enjoy the same so the business would sustain or grow.

• Taking great photos: if the place has nice deco, snap a few shots so others can get a feel of the atmosphere. I would take photos of the dishes, but I'll only upload and caption the ones I like.
  • Writing helpful, detailed reviews: I would use three main topics to describe my experiences: facility, service, and food. I will try and include what I like and what I don't like, as well as what can be improved.
  • Answering questions: I'll only answer questions that I am sure of, in the fear of giving wrong info.
  • Tracking down missing and incorrect information:  if I found a place with the wrong info, I would always report it. Wrong info can be misleading and lead to unsatisfactory experiences.
Level 7

I try to hold my elbows next to my body to keep steady. Also, I don't let photo ops get in the way of actually enjoying where I am. 20161225_032058[1].jpg

-ellen

Level 3

Be present

Enjoy the location and what it has to offer while you are there ! Take pictures and take it in. Write reviews after you have completed your trip not during and pick your best pics to contribute.

Level 6

What I usually do is to take great pictures and share them. You never know who's watching and might get interested. 

Level 5

Best practices for being a successful Local Guide:

• Develop a habit - When you are out and about and something catches your eyes, pull out your phone and take a snap shot. By doing so, this will allow for you to go back and look at the image and add it to your reviews at a later time. Images tend to tell stories better then what you can recall from memory. By looking at your gallery you can share your experiences, both good and bad.
  • Be alert - Some of the best reviews are the ones that provide unique details. Do you notice a certain time or day that is more appealing than other times. Is there a certain individual that left you in awe that others can look forward to meeting. It is the details that make your post attract others into what you experienced.
  • Edit - Often times our experience can change, even if you are considered a "regular." Keep your locals in the know when something changes, this not only attract/detract the business, but also betters the customer experience.

These are just a few practical tips that have helped me. I hope they could help you as well. 

Level 8

Extra photos - When you're out and about, don't just take photos of the place; think about using your shots to provide further info to viewers! The map board, opening hours, and EVERYONE loves a nose at the current menu! This sort of thing is really handy. Make sure text shots are still, light and in focus. 

Reviews - Remember, it's very easy to use a review as a personal rant. OK, so you had a terrible steak, or service was slow... Feel free to tell the truth, but remember, everyone has an off day. Ensure that viewers have an unbiased chance to check it out for themselves. People need a second chance (sometimes!) Make sure you mention pros as well as cons. Have fun people 🙂