Septarina_H's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

(Series #1) Knowing Bandung: History of City Development

Hello, Guide!

I will make a series of articles entitled getting to know Bandung. In this series of articles, I will tell what is unique in Bandung, culture, and life.

Well, I will start with the story of the history of the building the city which is sourced from the Historical Museum of Bandung.View of Bandung City. in frame Asia-Africa street, is a pos road that crosses the city of BandungView of Bandung City. in frame Asia-Africa street, is a pos road that crosses the city of Bandung

Bandung city is a city that has no planned existence. In 1810 Bandung Regent R.A. Wiranatakusumah 2 wanted to move the capital city from the banks of the Citarum river to the banks of the Cikapundung river on the grounds that the existing location was no longer strategic to become a capital city and often hit by natural disasters such as floods. On the other hand, the Dutch East Indies government at that time, General Herman Willem Daendels was carrying out the construction of a post highway to facilitate access to logistics and inter-regional communication that stretched from Anyer to Panarukan.Founders of Bandung City. left: R.A. Wiranatakusumah 2, right: H.W. DaendelsFounders of Bandung City. left: R.A. Wiranatakusumah 2, right: H.W. Daendels

From Bogor to Cianjur, which at the time was the capitall city of Priangan, Daendels planned to build a city under the foot of Mount Tangkuban Parahu before connecting to the Caruban region or what is known today as Cirebon. After exploring the wilderness and coffee plantations, Daendels finally summoned the Regent of R.A. Wiranatakusumah 2 and Parakanmuncang to determine the location of the location of the city that we finally know today with the name of the city of Bandung. The location of the beginning the construction of the city of Bandung is currently named Zero kilometer of Bandung. History records the origin of this zero point because at that time after Daendels and Wiranatakusumah 2 walked across the Cikapundung bridge, not far from the Cikapundung bridge, Daendels stuck his stick to the ground and said "try, if I return to this place it has become a city ".Zero kilometers of Bandung CityZero kilometers of Bandung City

Besluit of Development Bandung CityBesluit of Development Bandung City

After this historic event, Daendels issued a Besluit which was an order to establish the city and asked the Regent of R.A. Wiranatakusumah 2 to move the Capital City from Krapyak to an area near the Pos road. with the issuance of the Besluit, it became a benchmark for the anniversary of Bandung, which until now is celebrated every September 25th.

The Regent of R.A. Wiranatakusumah 2 began to mobilize the residents of Barubuk Hilir to begin the construction of the city by commencing the construction of Grand Mosque, Squares of Bandung City and Pendopo. Besides that in 1812 the construction of the city of Bandung continued to be carried out by building other supporting facilities such as Markets, Water Sources, Post Offices, Prisons and Graves. in 1819 Andreas De Wilde, a former Dutch surgeon, asked for the transfer of the capital city of Priangan Residency from Cianjur to Bandung, but this was not possible.

In 1825 the Regent of R.A. Wiranatakusumah 2 began designing urban spatial planning on a map which at that time the area of Bandung city was around 700 hectare, which was restricted to the east by the Kaca-Kaca Wetan area (Simpang Lima), south of Kebon Kalapa, to the west with the Andir region, and to the north bordering the Papak Building which is now known as City Hall. Wiranatakusumah 4 began renovating the construction of the Grand Mosque, Squares and Pendopo became a beautiful permanent building. Then, in 1856 the discourse began to move the capital city of Priangan Residency from Cianjur to the city of Bandung by Governor General Ferdinan Pahud on the grounds that the temperature in Bandung was preferred by the Dutch, the strategic location of the city of Bandung in the center of the Priangan region, more population, availability of rice and coffee stock, and better economic conditions. Following up on the transfer of the capital city of Priangan Residency, in 1867 the residence of the Priangan Resident was completed. The building is one of the earliest permanent buildings built in the city of Bandung. Now the building is the official residence of the Governor of West Java province and is called the Pakuan Building.Bandung City Hall, formerly Gedung PapakBandung City Hall, formerly Gedung Papak

Map of the initial plan for the construction of Bandung cityMap of the initial plan for the construction of Bandung city

In the following year’s development in Bandung grew very rapidly, physical construction and other supporting facilities were built consistently, such as the construction of the Cianjur-Bandung railway in 1884 which was used to transport passengers and trunks.

Station Hall, name of Bandung StationStation Hall, name of Bandung Station

In the following year, Pieters Park was also built in 1885. Pieters Park is the first and oldest park in the city of Bandung which is located on the south side of Bandung City Hall. Now Pieters Park become as City Hall Park, Badak Park and Dewi Sartika Park.
The Badak Park is an area with City Hall Park and Dewi Sartika ParkThe Badak Park is an area with City Hall Park and Dewi Sartika Park

In order to meet the entertainment needs Europan citizen in Bandung, Priangan Resident Assistant Pieter Sijthoff, pionereed the establishment of the first toonel (theater) group in Bandung called "Toonelverenigingin Braga" in 1882. And in 1892,  Mr. C. A. Hellerman opened a weapon-making shop on Pedatiweg wich later became Bragaweg. He is a trading pioneering in the Braga region wich later became known as "de meest Europeesche winkelstraat van Indie" (The most europan-nuanced/themed shopping street throughout the Indies). This concept was what made the city of Bandung nicknamed Paris Van Java.

Nearly a century of the city of Bandung, in 1935 the city of Bandung was once proposed to be the capital of the Dutch East Indies government, replacing Batavia (Jakarta). Some government buildings have been built and designed city planning to make the city of Bandung as the capital city of the Government at that time. Still due to the defeat of the Netherlands in World War 2 which was surrendered by Japan, the plan to move the Capital City from Batavia to Bandung failed. However, several offices such as the Telecommunications and Postal offices have moved to the city of Bandung.

Now the Bandung city has become the capital city of West Java with the most population of around 2.5 million in 2017. Bandung is a city full of creativity and interesting things that are also unique that can be enjoyed by anyone. There are many tourist destinations in Bandung, cultural, culinary and historical. the continuation of this post I will peel more about Bandung in the next series.

Please wait for the next post??

Bandung, Kota Bandung, Jawa Barat, Indonesia
16 comments
Google Moderator

Re: Knowing Bandung: History of Development

Hello @Septarina_H,

Thank you for sharing this informative post, I am sure this will help people who's planning to visit Bandung. Few months ago, when I was in Bandung I had a great food adventure for two days and it was awesome. 

Next time, this will be on my to go list, aside from food crawling again. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 8

Bls: Knowing Bandung: History of Development

Very informative and full of knowledge about Bandung History. Your post is most people want to know more about Bandung. @Septarina_H Thank you very much for your information and knowledge and history. Can't wait for your next post series.

Let me know first if you publish next chapter. 😀😊

Salam bahagia

@AgoesSantosa

Level 8

@AngieYCSure, you will never enough to visit Bandung. Like me I always go there again and again. Feel never boring. Rich with various people, fashions, foods, cultures anf etc.

Maybe we can create a meet up for you, if you visit Bandung. Would be a great meet up as a Local Guides. We will wait for your coming. 😎😀

Warm regard

@AgoesSantosa

Google Moderator

Hello @AgoesSantosa,

Thank you for your hospitality, yes it will be great and I will be very happy to meet my fellow Indonesian Local Guides, last time I was there I had the Sundanese food and bola ubi my all time favorite snacks. 

Next time, when I have plan to visit Indonesia, we will get in touch.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Glad to know historical Bandung City. I think the title must be clarified, Knowing the City of Bandung: History of Development. 

But this post is very informative. 👍

Muhammad Fachry | Local Guides since 2015
Level 8

Thank @AngieYC Can't wait for your visiting us. We can be in one meet up. We will stock pilling the umbi maybe you meant ubi Cilembu or Grobi slicer of ubi with gula kelapa red sugar, like ball and fried its.

Google Moderator

Hello @AgoesSantosa,

That will be great! Can't wait to go back home. 

Level 8

Thanks @AngieYC, glad to hear you will explore the culinary here. May the summer later I can invite you here in a big event, hopefully you can attend. And I will guide you to explore all about Bandung🤗

Level 8

Thanks pak @AgoesSantosa for commenting this stories. I am promise will be release one stories per-month for Bandung😎💪

Salam Bahagia😁