YalcinCHEN陳's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Self-Intro For #LGSummit17

Hi, fellows, I'm Yalcin CHEN, Chen You Zheng, from Taiwan.

I was born in Taipei, and I have been living in here. Great to meet you. There were three important events that made my life different from others, and these are the reasons why I was very excited when I first learned about Local Guides.

Yalcin CHEN on Xinyi Road in Taipei CityYalcin CHEN on Xinyi Road in Taipei City

Something About Me

The first occurred when I was five. My mother stuck a world map on the wall of my bedroom, and bought me some history story books. That was the very first beginning I explore this world and the thing about ancient and modern. I am curious since in kindergarten about some questions such as “What was the exact years of birth and death of those historical figure, such as Confucius or Chang Kai-Shek?”, “Where is the capital of South Africa?” or “Why the shapes of territory of Canada is a bit different between a world map or a globe?

The second thing was in my age of thirteen, one day I took the wrong bus and got lost, then I decided to make sense of Taipei Bus Routes. I read route maps and had field studies seriously, and incidentally know about local characteristics in Taipei. Since 2007, I was interviewed by fifteen mainstream medias, because I offered bus routes consulting service for free, and also advised fantastic touring proposals and extraordinary dining guides in Taipei on the internet.

The third thing was because I majored in Turkish in university for one year out of the blue, the completely different culture totally opened my view, and I found there are too many pleasures to dive into, including languages, folk customs, food and music, not only in Turkey, but also whole world. By the way, I majored in sociology in other three years in university. I try to research or compare deeply while traveling, so far I have traveled over twenty countries.

What I Can Do In Local Guides Community

When in life or in a tour, many people would not notice these serious and difficult questions which are not obviously seen, or they did not care before. I try to make the knowledge more interesting, briefly described, more practical, and objective as far as possible in my Local Guides reviews on the Google map.

And since everyone in the world has his/her right of exploring this world, I wrote my every review in two languages. I usually see people in my country making a fool of themselves just because of those online translation tools, even the government officers would do this, such as I ever saw a bus stop in front of Songshan Train Station (in Taipei City) which was marked as “Matsuyama Station” in its English version ("Matsuyama" is a city in Japan, the literally meaning is same as "Songshan" in Chinese, but "Matsuyama" is totally irrelevant to Taipei City), it's too ridiculous to have this mistake.

Due to I joined the program of Local Guides only in two months, I did not host any activities of Local Guides yet actually (and neither a moderator nor a contributor so far), However, it's so ambitious plan for me that I am eager to do many things through the Local Guides projects.

I have wrote hundred reviews of domestic and international places, including restaurants, hotels, department stores, hypermarkets, parks, historical sites, and even bus terminal and bus stops. People would need the further objective information beyond those reviews with too many their personal emotions, that's what my reviews give.

Many of my reviews have photos which help my guiding much clearly, and these photos are indeed useful because thousands of people have viewed my photos only in past several weeks. For restaurants, I annotated the exactly original foreign names of their foods or dishes, for example, such as a dish named Fish Vindaloo in an India style restaurant in Taichung.

And, I have joined the online group of Local Guides of Taiwan on the communication apps, the many experienced Local Guides fellows discuss the useful information of something or somewhere they know, the technical problems of uploading data to Google Map, or the topics about how to improve the contents of Google Map. I once participated the meet-up of exploring traditional local snacks in Taipei, I felt enriched. In the future, I plan to held some special events of attractive sights or restaurants in Taipei, for the vision of more people understand about my loving city.

Below is my Self-Intro Video for Local Guides Summit 2017. 

Taipei, Taiwan
1 comment
Level 8

Re: Self-Intro For #LGSummit17

That's a nice intro, good luck @YalcinCHEN陳

Luis Hernández - Querétaro, México. Queretaro Local Guides