Anonymous's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Saving Lives in the United States - Railroad or Rail Category on Google Maps

There are over 140,000 miles of rail in these United States and over 200,000 rail grade crossings, that is, where the railroad tracks and the roadway intersect at ground level. Just yesterday, in Middletown, NJ a woman was struck by a NJ Transit commuter train.  Last year nearly 1000 people were killed at rail grade crossings with 10,000 overall accidents.  I spoke to the Federal Railroad Administration on Thursday and this is front and center on their safety list and they stated that they are in "talks" with Google to provide rail data.  Who better to map these locations than the army of local guides?  Every freight rail car is outfitted with GPS and now there is positive train control being implemented country wide, so Google Maps can key off of that. WE NEED a rail category on Google Map, with sub categories of stations, entrances and directions and accessibility information.

Here are a few rail grade crossings photos of both commuter and freight rail crossings.  Please note:  I took these photographs on the public sidewalk, at least 20 feet away from the railroad crossing.  I did NOT stand on the tracks, track bed or any right of way owned by the railroad, rail company or commuter rail service.  If we are promoting safety, taking photos on the railroad tracks is not only dangerous, it is also trespassing and a crime.

Oradell NJ NJ Transit grade crossingOradell NJ NJ Transit grade crossingCSX Grade crossing in Bergenfield, NJCSX Grade crossing in Bergenfield, NJNJ Grade Crossing in New Milford NJNJ Grade Crossing in New Milford NJCSX Grade Crossing in Bergenfield NJCSX Grade Crossing in Bergenfield NJ

I think this is a more than worthy cause and it will definitely save lives. Thoughts anyone?

Bergen County, NJ, United States