IlankovanT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Satisfaction is when you give the right thing for those who are in the real need!

It was another pleasant day and I feel like walking through millions of stars. Today will be a remarkable day in my diary for what I did to a special segment of the society. 
When I was on my way home, I met a friend of my friend who came up with a request to do an explanatory session on Google maps for differently abled people. My reply was I have already done one in last year. However, my urge and enthusiasm towards volunteering just pulled me out of the box and I committed myself to have a better knowledge sharing session this weekend. I have been volunteering to several components of the society in various ways since my teenage, and it has evolved with me while I grew up. However, being a local guide have satisfied me even more where I do a lot of things to the community even through a smartphone. When this friend of a friend I mentioned above asked me for a workshop I was planning to redo what I did last time to the differently abled. 

Uthayam Association of Visually HandicappedUthayam Association of Visually Handicapped
However, I had to fulfill some personal commitments this morning and I started my journey towards the given destination around 10 a.m.. when I reached the place, a lot of things popped out of my mind looking at the participants. It was a non-profit organization for visually impaired personals and there were around six people waiting for my presence on this day. I got goosebumps when I saw the way they were communicating with each other. 

There was this one man, whom I knew already. He has participated in my previous Meet-up too. I saw him being so excited and he was one of the active participants among the team, throughout the session. He could visualize objects only at a length of a couple of centimeters from his eyes. I was staring at the way he used his smartphone with the support of the eSpeak, TalkBack application. Among the participants, he wanted to put himself in front with the knowledge gained from the previous session. However, he came up with a discrepancy that he couldn't type the letters properly on google maps while using eSpeak. I was trying to solve his issue and I just saw the mic icon and wanted him to hold it and talk. "It happened". He was so happy for being accomplished with the task. Also, I taught the others on how to use Google maps and also I introduced them the use of Google assistant.

They tried talking to Google assistant. Of course, there were some mistakes in the beginning. After they got their voices trained, it was quite easy for them to do. This session went on for about two hours and I came out being fulfilled. I just felt like walking through the stars after catering the people with real need with what I already knew. As I mentioned above, today will ever be a highlighted day in my diary for sharing the voice input option of the Google maps for those who really need it.  @JeslynL this how I spent my Saturday with this team. 
@TraciC hope we can do a similar "How Local Guides can help millions in September" meet-up this year 🙂

Batticaloa, Sri Lanka
42 comments
Level 9

Re: Satisfaction is when you give the right thing for those who are in the real need!

What an amazing post and words IlankovanT. Yes last year I was in a meet-up with @AdarshUmangRaj at Delhi for this initiative. 

This year I'll host my own meet-up. 

COUNT ME IN @IlankovanT

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 9

Re: Satisfaction is when you give the right thing for those who are in the real need!

Yes @deepakjhic it was an amazing session with those wonderful people 🙂

Thanks you for your kind words.

Level 10

Hi @IlankovanT,

This is great. Thanks for sharing.

Hey @ErmesT@Venance, check out this post. I am sure you will like it. @IlankovanT has put a new stone on the building #letsguide blind.

Googler

Hi @IlankovanT. Thank you so much for sharing this post and the story! I, too, had an experience in which I was able to demonstrate to someone the power of voice search in Google Maps and it was mindblowing to them. 

I'm also glad to hear you're interested in keeping accessibility at the top of everyone's minds, as I am, too! No need to wait for a global effort to host a meet-up but if you need something in the meantime, please let us know. 🙂

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Connect Moderator

I know this post @Julien44, even if this is the first moment that I have for my congratulations to @IlankovanT

This is an important post, something that makes me proud of being a Local Guide

The technology is helping people with ability impaired in many wonderful ways, as @TraciC said in your post.

Visual impairment is something in which we can help a lot, with already existing devices and, in the next future, with more and more tools.

Thanks Ilankovan for what you are doing, I'm proud to be your friend

Ermes

Level 10

You did the amazing job @IlankovanT. It's an outstanding work and is the inspirational one for all. Thanks for sharing with us.

Level 9

You are correct about that the satisfaction is when you help to whom who needs really help.

@IlankovanT

And the video is amazing.

The poat also.

Regards

Ravindranath Sawane

India
Connect Moderator

Its great work bro @IlankovanT

Thanks for sharing.

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 10

This is amazing @IlankovanT. Everyone should have the opportunity to use Google Maps and other tools, and I'm glad you are making it happen. You are great for doing this, and of course sharing it with us! 

Argentina | Follow me on Maps! | IG