cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Salmaan - A Local Guide from India - My Connect Live Recap

Hope is a good thing may be the best of things and no good thing ever dies

- The Shawshank Redemption

Last year, I was watching Summit 17 live in social media and was trying recognise my Connect friends. And this year, I was there at Connect Live and which I still in surprise knowing that I attended it.

I joined Local Guides Program nearly One and Half years ago and I totally had no idea about it. All I know at that time was if I become a Local Guide, i can do something for myself, for my community.

And right after discovering Connect, it was my place for learning, sharing my experiences and since from then the three main things I get from Connect is Support, Encouragement and a Worldwide Friendship. I know that for this above three, I can do as much as contributions I can.

Being a Local Guide, many of my assumptions proven wrong and my perspectives got changed. One is that I was one among those who expect something before doing anything but now I contribute for things I care the most, my Local Guides friends, my community, my motivating Local Guides Team, and for myself.

I will come to my Connect Live 2018 recap now.

It was my birthday (12th June) and my dear Osama bhai messaged me to check my mail and when I checked my mail, I saw the most breathtaking wonderful mail, the Connect Live 2018 invitation.

I was not sure of attending it till my Visa Interview and my thanks to Almighty who made it to get my Visa approved in my first time itself.

It was the first time for me to go outside of my country and not every minute, it was every second I felt excited. Believing that I really going to meet those wonderful lovely friends in person which Connect gave me.

The day came when I left for Connect Live 2018, travelled to San Francisco via Paris alone which I never ever thought of.

I reached two days earlier and stayed in a Hostel with @StephenAbraham Anna. And when I reached the Hostel and I saw him and I was very happy. From that day when I met Connect Live attendees, it felt like meeting an old friend. I and Stephen Anna explored San Francisco on that day and the next day. He took me to San Francisco, Pier 39 on that day and made me feel like a local and not as a tourist which is the best part. Me and Stephen Anna at Golden Gate Bridge, San FranciscoMe and Stephen Anna at Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco

The next day, we explored Bakers Beach and at that time, I know, these would going to be the one of the memorable moments of my lifetime.

At Baker BeachAt Baker Beach

Then we joined the Paul's 36 walk and which is where the real fun began since started to recognise the Connect friends. And to name some is Ilankovan Anna, Anuradha, Adrian, Kim, Valeria, Faraz, Penny, Koffi, Jed, Julien, Shady, Ludwig and others.At Paul's 36 walkAt Paul's 36 walk

I, Vandana from Bengaluru and Michael from Switzerland had User Study meeting at Google Office, San Francisco and we left during the meetup and planned to join it after completing the meeting and yes we did joined the meetup after completing the meeting.

Me at Google Office, San FranciscoMe at Google Office, San Francisco

Being at San Francisco, Meeting the Connect friends, Visiting the Google Office, what one could want more than this.

The day was filled with so much fun and enjoyment. I and Stephen Anna went back to the hostel.

The next day morning, we checked out the hostel and moved to Hyatt where we were able to see more local guides friends coming for the event. I was conducting a Geo Walk Meetup at Aquarium of Bay so I visited the Aquarium of Bay at meetup time and I totally enjoyed it. At Aquarium of Bay, San FranciscoAt Aquarium of Bay, San Francisco

After coming back from the meetup, the Connect Live 2018 event was about to begin and everyone started to share their gifts they brought from their country with the other Local Guides. I was recognising my Connect friends and making new friends too. It is true if I say that was one of the best days of my life. I met with so many amazing Local Guides friends, Priyanka, Archit, Himanshi, Yasumi, Hiroyuki, Prof Arun, KamalHasnainee, Sonia, Natalka, Mapu, Chammoan, Rupen, Farid, Imperio, Nanda, Radi, Uroy, Kamal, Ana, and many many more.Photo credit- downloaded from InternetPhoto credit- downloaded from Internet

Team India at Connect Live 2018Team India at Connect Live 2018

The next day, the sessions were filled with so many ideas and it was informative and fun full. Learning and sharing cannot be more funfull and fruitful to me than that.

The next day, visiting the Google Headquarters was the very exciting one as it was one of my dreams. The sessions were extraordinary and much more informative.

Sharing our feedbacks and ideas with the googlers were one of my favourite parts of the event. Googlers were super friendly and I see them as one of my wonderful friends too.

The most exciting part was the gift from Local Guides Team to the Connect Live 2018 attendees. Getting a brand new Recoh theta V, a tool which is very much required to a Local Guide to show his world in 360 to others.A gift from Local Guides TeamA gift from Local Guides Team

I was super excited on knowing it and you can see below photo to know how much I was excited at that time. ?

A photo with Traci after receiving the gift from Local Guides TeamA photo with Traci after receiving the gift from Local Guides Team

Returned to my home from the Connect Live 2018 with the heart full of wonderful memories and a bag full of awesome gifts from the other Local Guides.Amazing gifts from the Local Guides and TeamAmazing gifts from the Local Guides and Team

Thank you so much for everything, Local Guides Team. Providing such a wonderful opportunity for the Local Guides to explore and share their experiences. It increased my love towards the Google Maps and Local Guides Program. Thanks from the depth of my heart for all the Connect Attendees, Googlers, Local Guides Team and the Local Guides who didn't able to make it this year. My words cannot thank you all enough for all the efforts.

Remember, a Local Guide from India is always ready to welcome you all and can try his best to guide you. Reach me anytime. Happy Guiding! ?

Vellore Local Guides
64 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Salmaan - A Local Guide from India - My Connect Live Recap

Great Recap @SalmaanN

I am happy for the opportunity that we had to meet. Making friends was one of the beautiful aspect of Connect Live

Are you ready for 2019?

Level 8

Thanks for your comments, @ErmesT. I am super ready for Connect Live 2019. Will try to give my best I can. All the best! 🙂

Vellore Local Guides
Level 9

Great, @SalmaanN !! You summed up a lot of the positivity and friendship there. It was nice meeting you. I'll always remember the pre-summit  36 photowalk and the excitement of seeing people arrive at the hotel that first afternoon. 🙂 

Good shot of Stephen and the bridge on Baker Beach, by the way!!!

Connect Moderator

Me encanto tu resumen @SalmaanN, fue un grato para mi poder conocerte, hablar contigo, solamente pienso que fue muy corto el tiempo que estuve contigo, lo siento 😐 , estoy seguro que podremos tener una segunda oportunidad en el futuro. 

8EBE4365-2E87-4194-8C8B-514A3015BFB9.jpeg

Farid.

Level 10

Hi @SalmaanN

It was too good to meet you in person during Connect Live 2018 and other Local Guides. I am very much impressed by your simplicity. Would like to meet you again. 

@FaridTDF @Stuart_C @ErmesT

Level 10

@SalmaanN it was nice to read all your experience in connect live. Nicely written.Feeling so happy for you. You could have tagged all those people whom you mentioned in your story...Congratulations and best of luck for next year also.

Level 10

@SalmaanN  All of us and especially Tamil Nadu Local Guides is proud that you are part of the Connect Live 2018 summit. It was great finally meeting you there. And we had a lot of good memories exploring places around town, although the very tight schedule and jet lag. Thanks for being such a nice person and also taking lots of photos for us. Let's try to meet up there in India next time when I am there. 

Level 8

I can feel how much you enjoyed the Connect live @SalmaanN. You had fun unlimited . Hope to see you next year brother if everything goes as planned. Congratulations once again for attending meetup and for wonderful gifts you got.. 

Level 9

@SalmaanN I love the starting quote, it's from my all time favourite movie. Thank you for sharing this great summary. You are a gem of a person. Thank you for choosing me as a your friend. Hoping to meet you in Bangalore soon!!!