cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Sakrain / Mokor Sankranti Festival in Old Dhaka

IMG_20190114_180338.jpg

Pic: all house roof top lighting and fireworks in sky

Sakrain is a one of oldest festival in old Dhaka, Bangladesh ,  Bengali last mount of winter " Magh "  1st day  local people celebrate this day flying kites and after sunset show fireworks and many more . family all member go to the roof top after sunset and enjoy  fireworks an small entertainment party .

similar arrange in India that is called " Makar / mokor Sankranti "

In Bengali : পুরনো ঢাকায় মকর সংক্রান্তি বা সাকরাইন , সাকরাইন বলতে আসলে কিছু নেই মূল শব্দ হচ্ছে মকর সংক্রান্তি

পৌষের শেষের দিনে এই অনুষ্ঠানটি করে মূলত এটি একটি হিন্দু ধর্মীয় অনুষ্ঠান হলেও বর্তমানে পুরনো ঢাকায় সবাই অনুষ্ঠান উদযাপন করে। বাংলা ক্যালেন্ডার অনুসারে আগামীকাল হবে মাঘ মাসের প্রথম দিন। তবে হিন্দু ধর্মালম্বীরা উদযাপন করবে আরো একদিন পরে। শাঁখারিবাজার  বসে ঘুড়ি মার্কেট  ।উতসবের  দিন পুরনো ঢাকার আকাশ ছেয়ে যাবে না না রংবেরঙের ঘুরিতে। শুরু হবে ঘুড়ি কাটাকাটি উৎসব কে কতগুলো ঘুড়ি কাটতে পারে।আর সূর্য ডুবলেই শুরু হবে আগুন খেলা আর ফানুস ওড়ানো আতশবাজি ছোড়া

Sakrain all photos in this album : Sakrain 2019

Previous Sakrain fest : *  Sakrain Fest sakharibazar Kite market

*  53th BDLG Meetup @ Sakrain Fest 17

* Sakrain Fest 2017 Video

Pic: Local boys club try to show there best and make there club logo and many more use fire

In wiki Shakrain    (There one miss information mount last day is incorrect )

Shakrain Festival (Bengali: সাকরাইন; also known as Kite festival and Ghuri Utsob) is an annual celebration in Dhaka, Bangladesh, observed with the flying of kites.

It occurs at the end of Poush, the ninth month of the Bengali calendar (January 14 or 15 in Gregorian calendar).[1] This day is known as Poush Sangkranti (Bengali: পৌষ সংক্রান্তি; End of Poush).

Shakrain Festival in one of the oldest annual festivals of Bangladesh. It's famous and a very important event in Bangladeshi culture. It is the symbol of unity and friendship in Bangladesh.

Share few Festival moment

Pic: boys try to show there mouth firing which one is bigger then other

Mahabub Hasan
Dhaka, Bangladesh
12 comments
Level 8

Re: Sakrain / Mokor Sankranti Fastival in Old Dhaka

Very good post always Brother @MahabubMunna

Thanks for sharing the unique traditional festival of Old Town of Dhaka. 

Thanks again.

#LetsGuide

#LocalGuides | #LetsGuide | #Bangladesh |#BangladeshLocalGuides | #SoundOfBeautifulBangladesh
Level 9

Re: Sakrain / Mokor Sankranti Festival in Old Dhaka

We also celebrate the 1st day of Nepali Calendars month Magh as MAKAR SAKRANTI.
Seems like there are many similarities between our cultures 🙌 

And major attraction of that festival in my hometown is Bull Fight

Level 8

Very good pictures nice 

Thank you 

Sachin Pagire
Level 8

Hi @SovitaD

Thanks for sharing your country festival with us.

I like the Bull Fight part. Still couldn’t manage to live bull fight yet.

Welcome to our Beautiful Bangladesh!

#LetsGuide

#LocalGuides | #LetsGuide | #Bangladesh |#BangladeshLocalGuides | #SoundOfBeautifulBangladesh
Google Moderator

Hi @MahabubMunna,

This festival looks so amazing!

We also have celebrations here in Bulgaria with fireworks, but never with people spitting fire or such a vast illumination show. 🙂 

Did you fly a kite, too?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

Wow your country too 😍 😍😍 , no dear @DeniGu , last 2 year I can't manage time  to flying kites and Mount firing . Just  attend afternoon program. My younger brothers they do .

Mahabub Hasan
Google Moderator

It's still great that everyone enjoys flying kites, no matter their age, @MahabubMunna. To be honest, I've never flown one. ?

Yes, we love fireworks here, too! Especially for new year's and national celebrations.

There were actually some fireworks in my hometown Plovdiv this month. We were celebrating becoming a European capital of culture for 2019.

Caption: A night photo of fireworks over a cathedral in Plovdiv, Bulgaria. (Local Guide @DeniGu)Caption: A night photo of fireworks over a cathedral in Plovdiv, Bulgaria. (Local Guide @DeniGu)

But it wasn't as big as in Dhaka for sure. :))

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 5

Thanks to @MahabubMunna vai.

Such nice post you create about our traditional show. Love you so much
#Bangladesh #localguides 

Level 10

Wow! Nice sakrain festival photos brother @MahabubMunna thanks for sharing with us wonderful post.