BruceDM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Running the Brooklyn Half Marathon

People who know me know that running is a big part of my life. It’s painful and enjoyable and horrible and therapeutic all at once! The Brooklyn Half Marathon in particular is the largest half marathon in the United States and this year’s race drew over 25,000+ eager runners. The course is 13.1 miles long, spanning the entirety of Brooklyn, NY’s Prospect Park and ultimately finishing on the boardwalk of Coney Island.  The race was on May 19th and I thought I’d share my experience, pre and post-race.

Celebrating after the race in MCU ParkCelebrating after the race in MCU Park

The week of May 13th through May 19th was as rainy a week as we’ve had all year in the city.  Sometimes the clouds almost seemed like special effects out of an action movie.

A photo of the New York skyline on a cloudy night.A photo of the New York skyline on a cloudy night.

This definitely put a damper on the Brooklyn Half expo which was held at Pier 2 in Brooklyn. It was a foggy, rainy and cold night.

Bridge to Brooklyn PiersBridge to Brooklyn Piers

It poured for most of the night, but my friends and I were undeterred. We had a good time at the expo, eventually collecting our race shirts and our race number.

Brooklyn Half ExpoBrooklyn Half ExpoBrooklyn Half ExpoBrooklyn Half ExpoBrooklyn Half ExpoBrooklyn Half Expo

Running takes up a lot of energy, and for a long race like a half-marathon, you need to eat a lot of carbs! Pasta, rice, potatoes, and bread are your best friends leading up to a race. The day after the expo, a few of us went to a local pasta restaurant in our neighborhood called Ornella Trattoria Italiana. On Thursdays, they have many pasta platters at a cheap price.

Ornella Trattoria - Astoria NYOrnella Trattoria - Astoria NY

The pasta platters were a bit small so I took some liberties and tried two plates. When I carb load for a race I don’t worry much about my portion control 🐷

I started with the Orecchiette con Rabe....

Orecchiette con RabeOrecchiette con Rabe

....and finished up with the Pasta Arrabiata with sausage and chicken.

Pasta ArrabiataPasta Arrabiata

After a big Italian meal like this, some refreshing gelato from Gelato and Co. is a perfect dessert!

Gelato and Co.  Astoria, NYGelato and Co. Astoria, NY

The night before a big race is an important one. The Brooklyn Half started at 7:00 am so runners need to get to bed the night prior as early as they can. A typical ritual for most runners is to lay out their running items the night before, so you don’t have to rush in the morning.

My race gearMy race gear

On May 19th I was up at 4:30 in the morning. I had a quick breakfast, got dressed and got in a taxi to the starting line for the Brooklyn Half. Did I mention it rained all week in NYC? Race morning was no different but you gotta stay positive!

Soaked!Soaked!

Most runners were smart enough to bring a poncho or dress in garbage bags to keep themselves as dry as possible before the race started.

Neighborhood running palsNeighborhood running pals

The race was brutal. Tons of rain, puddles and fighting my own will to not give up but in the end….I broke my best time! My new personal best half is 01:33:45. All the hard work and training paid off!

MeMe

Even better, my friends also ran their fastest half marathon time!

IMG-2778.JPG

You have to really love running to wake up at 4 in the morning and run 13.1 miles in cold and rainy conditions! After a race like that, all that’s left to do is celebrate and replenish the lost calories!

I always recommend starting with a cold beer from the Steeplechase Beer Garden.

IMG-4982.JPG

As for food, Coney Island is an amusement park that has numerous summer food choices. You can get burgers, pizza, ice cream, corndogs and cotton candy to name a few….

Williams Candy Shop, Coney IslandWilliams Candy Shop, Coney Island

But as is tradition for many of the thousands of Brooklyn Half finishers, the food of choice is a Nathan’s hot dog. The original Nathan’s was opened at Coney Island and is still standing tall today.

Nathans - Coney Island, NYNathans - Coney Island, NY

The menu has grown a bit over the years but, after the race, I typically come in for the basics: crinkle fries and hot dogs!

Typical Eats at NathansTypical Eats at Nathans

A hot dog from Nathan’s is the best snack one can have after the Brooklyn Half!

Who's hungry?Who's hungry?

Nathan’s isn’t known for wings, but we were all hungry so we decided to indulge a bit. Hard to decide between buffalo wings and BBQ wings, so why not try both?

Buffalo or BBQ?Buffalo or BBQ?

At this point in the day, most runners have already been up nearly 12 hours or so. After a long subway ride home and a nap, I went out to a local watering hole called Madam Marie’s. The bar has a beach/boardwalk theme going so it was a very appropriate place to keep a celebration going.

Runners celebratingRunners celebratingWho has the better smile?Who has the better smile?

Several drinks and some more junk food noshing later, Sunday finally came. I had been snacking very liberally post-race and my wife and I went for one last indulgence at Chip NYC. This place is known for making huge, rich cookies and there is usually a line to get your hands on these treats.

Chip NYC - Astoria, NYChip NYC - Astoria, NY

We tried one of each of the choices the had available: chocolate chip, peanut butter chocolate chip and white chocolate with macadamia nuts. Also two big cups of milk to wash it down. There was also a summery adult beverage involved, purchased at Diamond Dogs in Astoria. At this bar, you can buy specialty cocktails and eat food (or cookies) purchased elsewhere.

IMG-2785.JPG

Were the cookies worth the 20 minute wait in line? Absolutely.

Tasty Chocolate Chip CookiesTasty Chocolate Chip Cookies

All in all, the days leading up to the Brooklyn Half Marathon and the snacking afterwards made for a solid week in otherwise dark and stormy weather. Beating your best time is a great feeling and I feel very proud of my efforts. I have many more races on my calendar this year and I look forward to each and every one of the challenges ahead!

New personal bests all around!New personal bests all around!

I am not available to respond on the weekend
New York, NY, USA
33 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Running the Brooklyn Half Marathon

Love this post @BruceDM! I'm actually heading to Coney Island this weekend, so, I'll definitely check out the spots you mentioned.

Congratulations on achieving a new personal best! 🏆

Level 9

Hello @BruceDM Nice pictures thank you for sharing with us ,Running the Brooklyn Half Marathon is great marathon with 13.1 miles ... Especially your food items are awesome I loved it ...

Level 10

Level 10

Nice to see you participant there . once i regular participate Half marathon . not gain my weight then last 3 year not attend in Dhaka Half Marathon .

Mahabub Hasan
Level 10

Hi @BruceDM

I just read the post and all photos,I think that was food marathon for you,😂😂just kidding.

It's great that you achieve your best in half marathon,

Thanks for sharing

And definitely you have better smile than that guy,

Level 9

Congratulations @BruceDM

On beating your personal record

And why is your post always yum yum🤤🤤

Level 9

@BruceDM 🙂

someone is inspiring us from time to time with amaaaaaazing posts :))))

yeah yeah all respect all respect

did you know for what ??

to eat all of these sinful food and stay fit :))))

this time you must teach me and don't say internal stuff hahaha

very nice inspiring post full of humor and food  🙂 

Level 8

Great Bruce @BruceDM

Congratulations for breaking your personal record. If not the rain I am sure you would have done much better.

Lets hope we have good weather next time. 

Hey! Btw I love all those tasty food. :)))

Cheers

Connect Moderator

Congrats on completing the race, @BruceDM! I totally thought about Michael Scott when you mentioned having the carbs before a race like that, haha. Your photos definitely brought out the appetite in me - well deserved! I follow Chip on Instagram and I drool at each of their photos,

Awesome recap!

Miami, FL | My Profile | #LGMiami | #TeamPixel | #ShopSmall