StephenAbraham's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Ricoh Theta V - Street View video mode. How-to for new users

Hello @StephenAbraham
You showed a very straightforward example and contributed to many users!
I want you to continue research so that we can use THETA!🎥

#Let's introduce your Japan with #DeepJapan hashtag. You will discover Japanese background stories.
#Let's try your native language conversation with Google Translate #UseNativeLanguage
#Enrich Google Maps with Cycling information #Bike
#lit.link/yasumikikuchi #Guiding Star 2022 Inclusive Mapper

Level 10

How nice! Thanks for sharing this.

Level 10

Level 10

Hi @StephenAbraham !

I am using INSTA 360 ONE.
We are considering purchasing THETA.

Thank you for providing information.

Best,

Level 8

Thanks for the great guide. One addition info/question. From the connect live event 2018 I noted that they explained to better position the camera in line with the street. So basically that the lenses are facing left and right. The explanation was that then they would get the most detail on the nearby stores, locations on the street. And for the street itself (with not so much detail) they can live with the corners, not so detailed photo areas.

Did somebody else remembers that?

Level 10

@meshworx not sure, but I will try it out the next time.

Level 8

@StephenAbraham i tried it now ones https://goo.gl/maps/xHzUHsyDCg62

And it seams to work. But because it's my first time with video I cannot compare. But maybe you can, and see pro or cons? 🤔

Because till now I made only still photos and connected them. And there I also faced the camera to the front. 

Level 9

Thank @StephenAbraham for sharing! I will try it.

Level 10

Dear @StephenAbraham, hope all's well.

Thanks for the information. Awesome story.

When you upload the Street View video does Google automatically add new roads to Maps if there's none there previously?

Also, what's the picture quality like for things like reading street names, building numbers or store names on shopfronts?

We first heard about Theta V from @PaulPavlinovich on YouTube. He's got a nice tutorial for Street View video 🙂

Thanks Stephen. Kind regards from Osaka78 😃

Connect Moderator

Hi @Osaka78forTRUMP I can answer some of those questions while we wait for @StephenAbraham to respond as well.

Are new roads added automatically? - no they're not, but if you add a Street View Line and then send feedback about a missing road and include in the comments that the missing road as a Street View run added on <date> <time> then it seems to help as I've had one local road added recently. Interestingly our own State Government mapping body (Land Victoria https://land.vic.gov.au/ )didn't know about this one although the Local Government body did (I suppose they would, they made the street sign) so the process has fallen down someplace. I've submitted it to be added by Land Victoria as well but haven't had much joy from them.

What's the picture quality like? The image quality is reasonably good as long as you follow some criteria:

• Keep your speed down
  • Try and stay at least four to five metres away from the signs (close things blur out)
  • Face the camera lenses to the sides rather than forwards.

I'm planning on trying an experiment - plenty of small rural towns are barely mapped at all (usually only the land base, cadastre, and streets) but not businesses. I'm going to head to one of these places and try and Make Street View runs through the town then later on at home after the videos are processed into individual images add all of the businesses using the details I can see and search. To avoid wasting time I will probably back this up either with 4K flat video that I can time stamp match in Black Magic Resolve (my video editor) - I can add a flat and 360 video as separate streams and it will match them up timewise.

Regards Paul